“Great value in a terrific location!”

Causeway Inn On The Mall
Ranked #111 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed for a weekend in a family room consisting of one double and two single beds. We spent very little time in the room, apart from sleeping but found it quite adequate. Tariff included continental breakfast which was sufficient to get the day started. Fabulous coffee is available at the cafe opposite reception in the laneway so don't bother with the coffee at brekky. The thing about this Hotel is location, location, location. Trams on the mall just 2 minutes away; shopping right at the door. Yes, you have to take 2 separate lifts to get to your room. It's not a dealbreaker. If you want a fantastic location on a budget, this is the place.

Room Tip: There were noisy yobs on the mall on Saturday night but try a room away from the laneway might be mo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed here last year and really enjoyed our stay so we decided to stay here again. The reception service people weren't as friendly as last year but we got into our room earlier than the normal check-in time. The room was basic which was fine but the bathroom was very small. The shower was so small you couldn't bend over in it and it was hard to get in and out off. We were on the 7th floor. My partner kept asking if we could have the room we stayed in last year which was on the 6th floor and after 3days of asking we were able to get another room on the 6th floor. It was really great of the night staff who managed to do that for us. It was great to have a bathroom with space and a shower that you can move around in. If we go back to Melbourne again we will think about whether we stay there again. Two kitchen staff on two days were rude by their mannerisms.

Room Tip: If you have been to a place before and enjoyed it try and see if you can book the same room again.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I booked a three night stay at this Melbourne CBD hotel after an overnight stay there six years ago and recalled what a convenient location it is. There is no roadside entrance, so guests are obliged to take a short stroll through an alleyway to reach the lobby, either from Bourke St. mall or Little Collins St. Don't be put off by this, Melbourne's charming alleyways are famed for their cafes and boutiques, and this one is no different.

I had prepaid online, so check in was a breeze and handled in a professional and friendly manner by the receptionist. A small credit card authorization was given and I was handed two access cards for the room and lifts. Reaching your room is a two step process: you take the lift to the second floor, get off and walk through the length of the breakfast area to a second set of lifts which take you up to your floor.

My sixth floor room was small, but did not feel claustrophobic due to the large windows. Unfortunately, the only view was of the building next door; on my previous stay my room faced the adjoining Bourke St. mall. The decor and decorative scheme was minimal - whites and light greys. Actually, this was not as dull or uninspired as it may sound, as these tones make a small room seem just a little bigger, whereas colours would have the opposite effect. The bed was comfortable and there were extra pillows in the cupboard along with a safe and ironing board. There was also a small desk which would suffice for most people and a small TV with a limited range of cable channels and local free to air channels. Beneath the desk is a bar fridge, which is not stocked except for a bottle of water and some single serve milk portions. I thought the milk was strange since I did not see tea/coffee making facilities in the room.

The bathroom was small, again no surprises there. There was more than enough linen for my needs, e.g. towels, face clothes, floor towel and used linens were replaced everyday. There is a modest range of basic but good quality toiletries, and I liked that Causeway provides two bars of soap - one for the sink, one for the shower - some other hotels I've stayed at, even those with higher star rankings still skimp on soap and provide only one bar! My single complaint was the state of the shower pan - it needed a good scrubbing. The whole bathroom was well cleaned except for this one area. I appreciate that this older style of shower tray surface with raised anti-slipping nodes is more prone to getting dirty. However, a splash of bleach and a good scrubbing will do away with this problem. This complaint is not new and was raised by some previous reviewers. But overall, the room was clean, quiet and well maintained.

My rate did not include breakfast, but from what I saw the daily spread is a nice continental style breakfast with lots of fruit juices, tea, coffee, cereals and breads. The dining area is neat and well arranged in a cafeteria style layout with TV and local newspapers available. Further along near the lifts at both ends are a snack vending machine and computer/printing terminals. I was offered a complimentary daily newspaper but declined the offer. There is Wi-Fi available to guests, but did not enquire after their rates.

Whilst not a full service hotel, the Causeway compensates by way of excellent location and very good rates. From my experience, those who will get the most are visitors who just need a well placed, competitively priced room as a base to explore Melbourne. However, those who appreciate their little luxuries or just like to chill in their hotel - as I sometimes do! - will probably have to look elsewhere. I would recommend this hotel to the former rather than the latter.

WHATS HOT: GOOD RATES. GOOD LOCATION. EXCELLENT PUBLIC TRANSPORT (TRAMS) JUST OUTSIDE. CAFES & SHOPPING JUST OUTSIDE. FRIENDLY STAFF.

WHATS NOT: SHOWER TRAY NEEDED CLEANING.

If my review helped in your decision making - or if you just enjoyed reading it - then please take the time to click the 'Was this review helpful button?' located below. This is the only feedback I receive and I appreciate your acknowledgement.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room facing the Bourke St. mall, just remember that trams do pass by and you may no...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
20  Thank ExLibris76
Reviewed May 20, 2012

we stayed here for 4 nights in march. it seems an odd hotel, it's entered off an alleyway off the mall opposite myers. reception is on the ground but everything else is a couple of floors up, above the shops. the rooms are small but contain all you need. they're clean well maintained as is all the hotel. breakfast is provided but it's pretty basic, no hot stuff. the one downer is that there is no vehicle access at all. the taxi drops you at the end of the mall and you then drag your bags down the street and into the alley. if you have a car they have a deal with one of the nearby carparks to get a reduced rate.
given where it is and what you get i think it's excellent value.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chnnang
Reviewed May 15, 2012

great hotel in wonderfull location right in heart of city amongst lovely cafes , so close to every thing trams are right there its cl ean handy and has a good breakfast great value for money my daughter and i loved it and hada fantastic time in melbourne

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two night while in Melbourne for my husbands graduation. Arrived late on a Wednesday night and the staff were welcoming and friendly. Rooms were clean but small. Bed was reasonably comfortable but I am a very picky person when it comes to a comfortable bed. My husband had no issues. We opted not to have the hotel breakfast but we to to the same cafe both days. First cafe on the left outside the hotel front door. Can't remember the name. Was amazing. When I asked for no bread with my breakfast (I am a ceoliac) I was straight away offered gluten free bread which was very nice.

Only issue was my husband and I flew out in the evening on the last day so left our bags at the hotel. They are left in the open under the stairs and just chained together. Not really secure. Oh and the lift was slow. But really not an issue.

Would certainly stay again next te in Melbourne. The price makes it worth it.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights over the weekend and managed to get a deal online for $123 including a continetal breakfast so we were happy with that. Location is fantastic and the staff service were always willing and helpful.

We were upgraded as our room wasnt ready when we arrived which was great but we were concerned when we got to our room we had a "mall view" which was nice to have a window over the mall but the size of the rooms are so small. Location definetly made up for it though, the rooms were clean and made up the breakfast of cereal, toasts and fruits were good but i expected pieces of fruit, pastries and tubs of yoghurt but for the price you were paying you dont mind.Being pregnant i had a bigger than normal appetite so could of been that :).

If you are staying of a weekend be prepared for a little noise off the mall but not too bad.

Would stay again even though tiny rooms as it was great location, great staff and clean

Room Tip: Ask for a room over the mall on the 4th floor or above maybe they are bigger!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple