“Good business hotel, great views”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #84 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights on a business trip to Australia. The hotel has a good central location (depending on where you need to be) and the riverfront rooms have amazing views. I was really blown away when waking up the next day after my arrival. The rooms are good, the bathrooms need some update. The breakfast buffet is good, but for 32 AUD, I would expect more (especially on bread/spreads). They do have a juicer, so you can make your own fresh juice for breakfast, which is nice.

Room Tip: try and get riverfront view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jan-Hendrik B
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Jan-Hendrik,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We do indeed have wonderful views that can ’blow you away’. I agree, it is something special to wake up to. In relation to our breakfast offerings, we are currently working on developing this further, and look forward to you visiting in the near future to experience the changes we are making.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,560)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Took a party of 4 girls for a birthday celebration. We had the King Suite plus an adjoining double-double room.10th floor, lovely river views, the faux bellagio display near Crown towers could be seen on the hour. Children swam in the nice rooftop pool, settled back to some movies, my sister and I relaxed in the adjoining room door ajar. Fabulous room service menu, including a brilliant $15 kids menu consisting of a great and healthy meal selection, drink and dessert. Not the most totally glamorous hotel- but really good value and well located.

Room Tip: River views are stunning!
2  Thank Lou H
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Lou H,
Thank you for sharing your positive review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am delighted to learn that you had a fantastic stay and I trust that the birthday celebrations went well. We take great pride in receiving such positive feedback as it recognises the efforts which our teams put in on a daily basis, and I look forward to sharing this with them team. I look forward to welcoming you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Had a teenage bithrday party here- king suite with adjoining double room. Great value, lovely views, wonderful room service menu. Appreciated the kids menu - well priced at $15 for 2 courses plus drink. Appreciate the healthy choices in the main menu too. Apart from a very rude woman who kept insisting on photo id for us after we had checked in - and we really don't look like criminals :-) it was a very nice stay.

Room Tip: 10th floor river views are lovely
1  Thank KatyMack

Dear KatyMack,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay here at Crowne Plaza Melbourne. Thank you for sharing your positive review regarding your In-Room Dining experience. I am delighted to learn that you were pleased with the selection on the menu, including the childrens menu and that it was great value for money. I sincerely apologise regarding the experience with the Front Desk - we have procedures in place which are necessary but it sounds as though this was not well handled by our team. Rest assured that I will follow up with the appropriate colleagues. I hope to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

On arrival at the Crowne we were upgraded to their Comfort Package Suite on the 9th floor.
The room overlooked the central outdoor atrium looking onto the swimming pool.
It was very quite and we were offered a choice of pillows non-alcoholic beverages and a hot stone aroma placed in our room before bed. Overall the location was excellent as was the cleanliness of the room and the amenities in the bathroom. I would highly recommend this hotel especially for short stay as it is close to the central city etc.

Room Tip: The hotel is only 10 floors so being on the 9th floor was very quite.
1  Thank Anna L

Dear Anna L,
Thank you for sharing your positive review. I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our Sleep Advantage pilot programme which we are participating in. I will be sure to pass on your positive feedback in relation to the programme to those leading the project. I hope to welcome you back to Crowne Plaza Melbourne again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am a frequent guest to this hotel for business and am also a member of their points program. I have just had one night there and the hotel is still very consistent in quality of their rooms and service. My room on the second floor overlooked the brown Yarra, but was very clean, roomy, with a small but neat bathroom.Dinner room service was fast and food good.
The one black mark, came the next morning when I went down to breakfast. The gentleman at the door asked for my room number and then said "fine just go in and find a table". I thought this unusual as they normally ask you to sign a slip and to pick either continental or full breakfast. I thought that maybe the breakfast was now included in the room rate, as this was now higher than previous. When I checked out, there was a charge of $32 for a full breakfast on the bill. I told reception that I was not asked to sign a slip, so why was I charged. He said that they don't get you to sign anymore. He said the man should of asked what sort of breakfast I wanted. This is very poor for a big hotel. How did the guy on the door know what I ate ???? he obviously assumed I would have the full breakfast. Reception did not offer to investigate or credit, just shrugged his shoulders.
I left the hotel, not happy.

Room Tip: If you have breakfast there watch what they do at the door.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear PierroSydney,
Thank you for sharing your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am pleased to learn that you were pleased with the location, level of comfort and cleanliness. I was saddened to learn that your experience with our Food and Beverage staff was less than satisfactory. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further to provide an appropriate resolution.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

This was my first stay at this property. The location in the CBD is great, its close to everything you could want.

The check in process for this property was rather slow with minimal staff working on the front desk, however the staff member who looked after me really went out of her way to ensure I was taken care of, she even called me in my room to make sure everything was alright with my room which was a nice touch.

Due to my IHG Rewards status I was upgraded to a room with an amazing view. The room itself was of a good size, however the bathroom seemed extremely dated and tired.

The staff who worked in the main bar area were really helpful and friendly as were the concierge team..

The check in process was slower than the check in process, clearly there are deficiencies with the front office staff at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear VoyageReport,
Thank you for sharing your review of Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am delighted to learn that you were pleased with the location, level of comfort and cleanliness. I will take onboard your feedback regarding the Front Office staffing and share that with our Front Office leadership in order to improve this experience for our guests. I look forward to sharing your comments with the Crowne Plaza team and I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Great location, but that's where the praise ends. We had a suite and were sorely disappointed. The room was old and tired and the bathroom was straight out of the 80's, it is in desperate need of an upgrade. The shower in the bath is down right dangerous and don't even start me on a wardrobe that is too skinny to allow coat hangers! The restaurant breakfast was nice but the dishes were not refilled fast enough leaving a lot of empty dishes. This hotel cost us more than nearby 5-star hotels at nowhere near a 4-star rating. All in all a very disappointing experience.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Melissa C,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. I was saddened to learn that overall your stay was less than satisfactory. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss your experience in more detail.