“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #80 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stayed here over a weekend and the room and service were great. Excellent location so close to the casino and CBD. Lovely view and pleasant staff. Our every need catered for. Thanks and keep up the high standards.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear BlueWhite25,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location and room service exceeded your needs and expectations. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with our teams and welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Beijing
Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hotel is nicely located close to the Southern Cross Train Station, a convenient tram stop right outside and very walkable to Southgate and for that matter much of the CBD. There are nice views of the Yarra River from the public spaces but from some rooms, not very nice.

The hotel seems to be a refit of a building used for another purpose in the past. The arrival by taxi is like driving into a parking garage. If not for a small sign on a concrete column I would have thought the taxi driver was lost. The lobby is ok but to access the guest rooms you need to go up a floor and a half by escalator and then walk a ways to the elevator lobby. A bit confusing and inconvenient when carrying baggage.

Our room was on the 10th floor and was very odd in its layout. I was told it was a 'king suite'. It seemed more like two rooms that neither were big enough for a room on their own so they put the two together and called it a suite. There were doors everywhere.....3 into the room from the hallway outside alone. When service staff knocked on the door it took a minute to figure out which door to go to to let them in.

We had a number of glitches such as an electric jug that leaked water all over the carpet, no slippers and only 1 bath robe although we checked in as a couple on our anniversary. They did provide a nice split of champagne for the anniversary and that was very appreciated. We also had a bathroom sink that would not drain properly. All of these, except the sink, got resolved in a reasonable amount of time. It's just the hassle of having to deal with them after a very long flight.

Housekeeping came to clean the room on one morning while we were in. The housekeeper came in the 'main door' and started cleaning up the lounge area of the suite then she disappeared. Some time later we heard noises in the adjoining bed and bathroom and found that the housekeeper had gone in through a second door into that room unannounced to us and was cleaning away. It was a bit of a surprise as we thought she had left.

Anyway, overall the hotel was OK but not on the level of other Crowne Plazas we have stayed at. Our favorite is in Hong Kong near Wan Chai where the staff were really excellent. Here the staff were polite and fairly efficient though not really friendly. It seemed they were all too busy.

The breakfast buffet was not impressive and the preparation of the food was not great. The cook doing the omelets really needs to take some lessons on how to properly do an omelet. They should not be brown to the point of burnt. The juicer station was a great idea however it always seemed to be out of fruit.

For location and ease of getting about Melbourne this hotel is quite good. The service, the rooms and the food do not justify the price however.

Room Tip: Do not get room 1022. It has too many doors to the outside hallway and the view is of industrial roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Charles,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am disappointed to read that your stay with us failed to meet your needs and expectations. This is naturally not the standard we set ourselves. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future and would be delighted if you were to contact me directly, so that I may overlook your booking personally. I look forward to speaking with you in due course.

Eugene
Reviewed October 6, 2013

It was one of my favorite places to stay when we were in Australia. Checking in was excellent. There all kinds of places around there to shop and eat. We walked to every place we wanted to go. There is a Casino across the street if you are interested. There is a beautiful view of river. Great places to eat close by. The room was big and nice. The bedding is excellent and the bed is very comfortable and I loved the pillows.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the River!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Suzannesh,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed stay with us and that Crowne Plaza Melbourne was able to exceed your needs and expectations. I must confess, I too love our pillows and beds. A good night sleep is so important. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with our teams and welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I travelled to Melbourne to participate in the international Elephant March on 4th October and wanted to stay for some R&R I must say that the staff where most welcoming as I arrived .Check in was quick and the staff at the desk where very helpful in directing me where i needed to go Room was very clean and i enjoyed the river view. The breakfast was very nice and the staff very pleasant The lobby bar was relaxing to sit in after a long day out to enjoy drinks and light meal , and the staff outstanding with there service . Thank you for making my stay very pleasing and will be looking forward to staying again . Keep up the excellent work

• Stayed October 2013
Cameron A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Bubbkes,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed stay with us and that the city view, staff and breakfast buffet was able to meet your needs and expectations. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with our team and welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Alice Springs
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I had a room on floor 6 overlooking the river and Crown Casino. My children enjoyed the nightly gas fire show in front of the casino. The room was very clean and all facilities were excellent, other than the television which was past its used by date with a very poor picture. The pool was enjoyed on a slightly warmer day by my children. The breakfast buffet was really nice and fresh and the lady making the omelettes to order was really friendly and made bloody good omelettes. I didn't have an evening meal or use the fitness club. I did have a few beers one afternoon in the bar and enjoyed the selection of beers on offer, particularly the ones I chose. No doubt it's been said but the location of this hotel is fantastic - public transport of all kinds nearby, heaps of good places to eat nearby and plenty of shops and sights within walking distance.

Room Tip: The river view was really nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brolga1,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the city view, pool and breakfast buffet delivered on your needs and expectations. I am pleased your children were able to enjoy themselves just as much as you. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with our team and welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

South Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed early October after finding the Hilton opposite terrible. It's not as cheap but ten times better. The beds and linen very good. Rooms soundproofed and quite. The location is excellent and easy walk to shopping centre and restaurants nearby. Nice views as well over the old sailing ship polly woodside.
I paid $320 a night which was expensive and you could surly find better value elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ring them first a haggle a best price as $320 I paid was too much for what I got. Check your A/C a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tim,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review and thank you for experiencing us. We indeed are fortunate with our location and views.I trust I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

This would happen to be one of my favourite hotels in Melbourne.

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne quite a few times now either for work or when just quickly stopping over in Melbourne.

The hotel has a warm welcoming feel as you enter. Checking in is normally swift and pleasant.
The River Facing Rooms (casino side) are beautiful to stay in. Beds are good quality with good choice of pillows.

Location is great with DFO and Spencer St shopping with in walking distance. Not to mention Eithad Stadium is just around the corner.

I've never really had an unpleasant experience at the Crowne Plaza Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Andrew P
Dear Andrew,

Thank-you for taking the time to share your review. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed stay with us again and that Crowne Plaza Melbourne is always able to exceed your needs and expectations. I look forward to sharing your warm comments with our team and Look forward to welcoming you back soon.