“Not Again!”

Ranked #73 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January 2011 and 2012 for the Australian Open.

The first year when we arrived at the hotel, they managed to overbook therefore no rooms were available. However reception did manage to relocate us to a neighbouring hotel, Intercontinental Rialto Towers. The second year the same thing happened again! This time instead of being relocated, we received a smaller room with insufficient bed numbers.

Booked Novotel for 2013.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank AlwaysBeKiwi
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear AlwaysBeKiwi,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and show you just how much we care about delivering an above average experience.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here on Boxing Day for the cricket test match. Booked it via lastminute.com and paid about $130 for the room which was a good price.

Upon arrival at 9am, I asked if I could park the car there. I was pleasantly surprised when they said my room was ready and I could check-in straight away, with an upgrade to a king superior room on the 8th floor. The Manager was very accommodating and helpful. While I was there I overheard him with a customer who had been fined $200 for smoking in their room. He reduced that to $100 but wasn't budging any further which I thought was very fair.

Car parking wasn't cheap at $40 per night but I had no choice and the carparks in the vicinity were all $60 or more anyway. It is valet parking and they attended to me very well when i needed the car brought down.

The room was very nice. It wasn't a whole lot different to the standards I experienced at the Sofitel earlier in the year. No mini bar and no cutlery though, which i found out when i got back with some take away food. They have the bare essentials for coffee, tea etc and a fridge.

The pool wasn't anything special and is only in sunlight certain times of the day but its better than nothing.

The tv reception on the digital channels wasn't always crisp but it was watchable.

I didn't use the hotel bar, gym or restaurant so can't comment on those but its good to have in-house facilities.

The free wifi was good. Worked well on the phone and ipad even on the top floor (8th).

The location was good. Close to train and tram lines. I was there for the cricket as were many others and it wasn't too hard to get to the MCG for the game.

All in all, I was happy with my stay here and would recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Holiday Inn M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear sincas3,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay. It is great to hear that your room was ready for you ahead of schedule and that you enjoyed a complimentary upgrade during your stay. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a number of the services we offer at the hotel in between your trips to the cricket.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Positive
- Convenient location closer to market place.
- helpful reception staff

Negative
- smallish hotel (from holiday inn standards).
- no one was to help to handle our luggage. We had to pick up our own luggage from taxi drop to our allotted room. If you are traveling with family with some extra luggage, it was very inconvenient experience.
- breakfast spread was limited

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Neeraj S
IHG_Hotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Neeraj,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are thrilled you enjoyed the location of the hotel and helpful reception staff. We pride ourselves on our very friendly yet professional team to help you get the most out of your stay here.

We have recently made positive changes to our breakfast buffet and had great feedback about this. I am sorry you found the breakfast buffet not to your usual standard and also that you did not receive assistance with your luggage.

Hope to have your return again soon to us and thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Good location but woken up at 0500 hrs by the incessant noise of the Spencer Street Station railway. The stay was too short to request a room change but lack of sleep spoilt a tough business trip. Otherwise everything was fine with good staff, decent room and a good location.
Colleagues on the other side of the building had no problems

Room Tip: As far away from the railway as possible.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Global T
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Global T

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. It is good to hear that you found the staff to be accommodating and enjoyed the hotels location and the size of the room. I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t receive a good night’s sleep. We get very few complaints about noise in our hotel but are always happy to move guests to the other side of the building if needed. Please let us know when you are next staying and we will ensure you get a nice quiet room.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I love every visit to this Hotel it is warm and welcoming its friendly and yet has an air of style and effecient grace. When you stay at this Hotel you get a real sense that all the staff are happy to be there, to assist and help you and really enjoy their jobs. Alastair is a fine example of a true IHG Ambassador for this hotel, his passion and willingness to making your stay perfect, is superb.

The rooms are lovely, Possibly not every room is marvelous but if you really dont like a room go down and discuss it it with one of the Polite guys on the front desk and ask to change. Simple really its a service and if your not happy give them the opportunity to fix it and dont just tolerate and jump on a site like this and complain. The rooms have block out curtains so a good nights sleep is almost guaranteed, though if you are sensitive to mild noise and vibration then ensure you ask for a room away from the Tram side of the hotel. The airco is great and keeps the room ambient, and the room service is Fabulous. Delivering a vast range of treats and defeats you'll love them all. Breakfast can also be room service or in the restaurant downstairs has a very good buffet. They also have a chef and egg station so you can be assured of eggs cooked just the way you like them.

Within easy walking distance to the hotel are many attractions, like the CBD central shopping the casino and flinders street station. The guys at the desk can help and assist with all your bookings, maps and advice on things to do.
All in All I love the staff here and there infectious behaviour makes me love their Hotel. As a IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, I recommend this Hotel Highly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VangeInternational

Dear VangeInternational

Thank you once again for your wonderful review of our hotel. It is always a pleasure having you stay with us. It is great to hear from a regular returning guest and good to know that our high standards are continuing to impress. Alastair will be thrilled to have his name mentioned personally as will the other staff. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Operations Manager

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here for 2 nights. I booked through wotif and, when my confirmation came through the bedding configuration was wrong. I rang the hotel directly and was advised that wotif should not have sold me the deal I got as none of those rooms were available. Before I could even object, I was offered a complimentary upgrade and bedding to suit. Happy days! Our room was quite nice and bedding comfortable. However, no pillow was provided on trundle for our daughter and when we asked house keeping for one I don't think she spoke enough English to understand the request. We did get one once we asked at front desk. My only real bug was probably how late our room was cleaned. We spent a whole day and about walking etc. Returned to our room to relax for a bit at 4pm and (room not clean) at 4:15 our door opened without knock. Housekeeping were just getting to us. Defiantly thought they should have already been by they time.

Overall though, nice hotel, nice room, very convenient location close to everything. Would stay again.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Bwds

Dear Bwds

Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our location. It sounds like the situation with your room type was handled well and you received a nice upgrade. Thank you for the feedback on our housekeeping department, we are looking into the issues mentioned at the moment. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Operations Manager

Reviewed December 19, 2013

One thing I can say about Holiday Inn is I can always expect great service and the HI on Flinders lived up to that. Check in was fast and friendly. My 7th floor room was large and clean. The shower had lots of hot water to wash off the travel grime. This is close to Southern Cross Station and the factory outlet clothing stores. I will stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Holiday Inn M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Wolin,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. It is wonderful to hear that our team lived up to the great service expectations you have for the Holiday Inn brand. Time spent in transit can be long and draining, so it’s great that you were able to enjoy a long, hot shower when you arrived to your room. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay.

Kind Regards,