“Suite visit!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Durham, United Kingdom
“Suite visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in November for 2 nights due to attending a conference at the nearby Melbourne Convention Centre. The hotel recognised my IHG platinum status and upgraded me to a very decent suite. The standard of the furnishing is good, the food is good both at breakfast and dinner and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit and would recommend it to anyone who wants a very central location and the predictably good quality of an IHG property.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Jonathan H

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders. I am glad you enjoyed your room upgrade and found that our location suited your needs. We recognise the loyalty of our IHG rewards club members and I am glad that we recognised your Platinum status. We are please you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards
Simon Carter
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 6nights. Wifi in room good. Breakfast was so-so. Staffs are friendly and helpful. On my 3rd night here I cane back at 7:45pm and I found out that my door was ajar.

Checked my belonging, all are there. Checked behind the shower curtain, luckily no one was there. Told the front desk the next day and they said maybe it is the door connection problems. They called the technicians to checked on it immediately. Well I was out so I am not sure if they have done something or not cos there weren't any phone call or letter informing me about what has been solved.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear llahmad

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders. We apologise for issue with your room door, we regard hotel security with the highest importance. Please be assured that we have rectified the issue and apologise for not informing you when this was actioned. We pride ourselves on providing an efficient and consistent level of service and are sorry we have let you done on this occasion. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards
Simon Carter
Operations Manager
Muswellbrook, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The hotel is situated in an amazing spot. However it is out dated and in need of a makeover. The price to stay here is almost the same as to stay at the rialto a street up. I will not be back until the hotel has been upgraded. (for the price)
Saying that the rooms were comfortable and a place to stay. Nothing fancy at all. The hotel is also in a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank megan h
IHG_Hotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.

We are grateful for your feedback and apologise that you found the hotel dated. Our location is great and thank you for making mention in your review also for this. I sincerely hope you thoroughly enjoyed Melbourne and all there is to offer.

Thanks once again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just spent six great nights at this hotel. The staff were lovely and very welcoming. Special mention to Anastasia for her always charming hello when leaving or entering. Our silver wedding anniversary was remembered by a lovely touch, a chilled complimentary bottle of bubbly. Thank you so much!

Melbourne is great. The hotel is in a great central position to explore. Immigration museum is two minutes away. Old Melbourne Gaol on Russell street is a must. My wife Noreen even got picked to play ' Ma Kelly' in the two person play about Ned Kelly's life and death, a fantastic show and well done to the theater group for this informative and entertaining historical and relevant story that still enthralls after some 130 years. The war remembrance museum was both sombre and poignant. It celebrated the memory of the ultimate sacrifice made by so many from Australia and New Zealand. An outstanding place of reconciliation which has got it right regarding atmosphere and pride.

We loved the authentic and ultra reasonably priced Indian / Pakistani restaurant on King Street, ' Delhi Rocks'. Great food and this from a Glaswegian who knows about Indian food. Young Mr Khan was a perfect host and was a pleasure to talk with.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your positive and comments about our hotel.

I agree our location is great here in the CBD of Melbourne. With trams at the door and walking distance to so many attractions we often receive this feedback. We also pride ourselves on providing friendly personable service and thrilled you found the team here very welcoming. Our Service is real and our people are encouraged to be themselves, which is what our guests expect in Holiday Inn.

Thanks once again for your feedback and we hope you visit us again soon one day.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This hotel is in a good location for an easy walk to Spencer St and Flinders St stations, Southwharf DFO and the riverbank precinct.
Our room was basic but very clean though it had quite a musty smell to it. Turned out the airconditioner had leaked and the carpet was a little damp in a small area. I did also think the pillow had an odd smell which was very off putting. The bathroom was extremely tired and overdue for an upgrade. The redeeming factor for the hotel is its staff, all of which were friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I sincerely appreciate your time and care in doing so.

Our location in the CBD is fantastic and I note you really enjoyed this as a great feature of our hotel. We receive a lot of feedback regarding the close proximity to the railway stations, being in the centre of the CBD and only 2 minutes’ walk to Southern Cross Station also.

I would like to apologise for the air-conditioner that leaked water onto the carpet. Our Maintenance Team have advised me that the actuator in the air conditioning unit will cause this and will need replacing. I am grateful for all your feedback and thank you for making a special mention too regarding the friendly staff here. I am always extremely proud of our team here and how specifically how friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating they are.

Kind regards,

Vijfhuizen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in Nov 2013.
The first thing that we were very pleased with was the welcome by the staff relaxed, helpfull and efficiënt.
The hotel providers valet parking on site quick no hassle.
The room had an early one full size glas wall the room well equipt and good size.
Beds top.
Good bathroom everything is there.
The bar is very nice location, bartenders friendly
Breakfast very elaborate and again the view from the restaurant is Nice.
The only disturbing issue is the slamming doors, basically down to fellow guests unfotunatly not all guests take that into consideration.
So perhaps door dampers might be considered.
Overall a very pleasantly stay right in the hart of the action.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great feedback about Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders.

It is always rewarding to receive positive feedback about the staff and our products too. I note you mentioned the doors slamming by other people presumably in their rooms. I (upon receiving your feedback) have a programme in place for our Maintenance Team to test the closing or “hush” mechanism on our doors so this does not impact other guests in our hotel.

We have made recent improvements to our breakfast buffet and I am thrilled you found this great. Our Head Chef Scott Horn is very particular about not only serving great fresh food – but also that it looks so good you could eat with your eyes.

Thanks for your wonderful feedback once again and we hope you visit us again soon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here for Cup week as the location is superb and priced well. It's right near Spencer St station and CBD. It's an easy place to get to / from. Check in was really efficient and the staff really helpful and friendly. The breakfast buffet is good and not over crowded. An efficient quick breakfast can be grabbed and it'll stock up every type of person.

Internet use is expensive in room but free in the lobby.

My room was on the 8th floor (away from road noise) and "ok". I know what I'm in for at Holiday Inn (value, location, not 5 star) but I was surprised at the condition of the room - I mean cleanliness.

The Bathroom is tired and the toilet was pretty gross. I was looking for a power plug near the bed and had to slightly move the side table for access to it - yuk...pretty awful dust build up on all the fittings. Sadly housekeeping left some of their cleaning fluids in my room - mistakes sometimes happen - I'm pleased that they use them.

I dare say this is a really busy property and if the room was cleaned well, I would have been totally happy! Maybe the rooms are due for an upgrade?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear zoomer-7,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention and rest assured, your input will be shared with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvement to this identified weakness and rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is. If you have future concerns, please let the Duty Manager know so an alternate room could be offered if available.

Connie D