“Have Been Boycotting Holiday Inn For 22 years”

Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
Ranked #76 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 18, 2013

After two really bad experiences with the chain in Texas and Louisiana i swore I would never stay at a Holiday Inn again.
However after reading a few good reviews and getting a special deal thought i would give it another go.
The whole experience at this hotel was great.
Early check in
Good Food
Room service good
Counter staff excellent

The bathroom is a bit dated and the gym small but all fine.

If i had to make a suggestion for improvement it would be for the waiting staff in the restaurant. They were if anything too attentive checking all was ok all the time. I don't think the three of them communicated who was looking after which tables. (this is really picky though) The food was excellent. Highly recommend the seafood paella

So yes i will be back to this hotel other Holiday Inn I am not sure yet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PHB75
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear PHB75

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel, it is great to hear that you have given our brand another opportunity to impress and I am glad that we were able to change your perception. It looks like you were able to try many aspects of the hotel and I am glad that you enjoyed the food and service we offered. I appreciate your feedback regarding our wait staff in the restaurant and I will pass that on to the restaurant manager. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed for two nights at end of June. Our room was so small, there was only room for one small bedside table beside the bed. Described as having a large desk area - this turned out to be a table at the end of the bed which was almost impossible to pass, all for a hugely increased charge, raised considerably because of the Lions Tour.The response from the hotel has been to say the room is as described and price increase (100% increase) is because of the tour. Basically tough we can charge what we like. We stayed at the Sheraton in Sydney, for the same price, during the Lions weekend, where we had a superb room and excellent service, they obviously didn't feel the need to exploit tourists during this period.
This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in and definitely not a 4* property.
The trip was made to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary and thankfully all the other hotels we stayed at were superb for the same budget.
Some sensitivity from the operations manager, would have helped in his response to our comments.

Room Tip: Try another hotel, many to choose from that are better value. We had a 100% increase in the room co...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank verrcr
Holiday Inn M, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Verrcr

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your room and the price of the hotel. Unfortunately high demand periods like the British and Irish Lions rugby tour do result in an increase in prices in the market. I am glad to hear through our prior communications that you enjoyed the high quality of service provided by our team.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The thing with changes is usually know what you're going to get with them - they're not usually outstanding or too terrible.

However, the sincerely warm and friendly service here is really something else. I arrived at 8.30am and was mostly expecting to be invited to wait 5 or so hours for my room to be ready... but no, these guys pulled out the stops and found me a room that I could have straight away. Great!

Sadly, I'm a ridiculously light sleeper and the room faced the street. I hate being a nuisance but when I called down to Becky on front desk... not a problem... in fact she even came up and helped me move! All of that with a genuine smile and great service.

My second room faced the internal courtyard over the pool and was absolutely perfect for me. The location is awesome with Southern Cross Station a stone's throw and Flinders Street Station a 5-10 minute walk.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank algray

Dear algray

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback and I am glad that we were able to impress you with our service. Becky will appreciate the personal mention and I’m glad we were able to ensure you had a good night sleep.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Booked in for two nights at the holiday inn, great little hotel with tram lines within a stone throw, i arrived slightly early, and was checked in seamlessly by one of the duty managers - becky - she was bright bubbly and easy to deal with, the room had all the standard amenities, and i had a good nights rest, very clean, breakfast was good quality however i did not try the room service or the lunch/dinner - would i stay again?. yes,
good staff members throughout and always met with a smile, which i think goes a long way,

thanks for the great stay,

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear HughMiron

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, we greatly appreciate your feedback and share it with the team. Becky will appreciate the personal mention and I am glad you found all staff to be friendly and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We booked ourselves into the Holiday Inn on Flinders for the last night of our stay in Melbourne following a terrible accommodation experience at an apartment on Flinders Lane.
The on-duty manager and staff were really helpful and friendly, and were genuinely gutted for the experience we had just endured at the apartment (not associated with Holiday Inn). We were offered early check-in, and as a extra touch, given a bottle of wine to help us relax on our last night in the city.
The room was really tidy, clean, quiet, and warm. A really pleasant, comfortable stay. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kitncat

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback and I’m glad that our team was able to help you relax for your last night in Melbourne after a bad experience elsewhere. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I really appreciated all the assistance and good cheer I got from the managers and staff here. We flew into Melbourne after a very long flight from Mumbai India for my parents and Dallas Texas for me. We were all booked to take a day long trip on the Great Ocean Road tour when my dad (80 years old) got a fever. He could not come on the trip and said he would relax at the hotel that day so he would be rested for the rest of our Australia trip. I was loath to leave him alone in his room.
The day and night managers at the Holiday inn and the staff were great. They looked after him really well, They brought him soup and bread and snacks and magazines, they had my cell number and checked on him every 2 hours and called or texted me. They sat with him and talked to him so he didn't get bored. At the end of the day when we were back his fever had dissipated and he was feeling much better.
The night manager came to check on him and see if he needed anything and they took care of us really well over the next 2 days we were there.We are fussy vegetarians and they helped us locate Indian restaurants so we could get Indian food. I really appreciate them going out of their way and helping us.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ratna N

Dear Ratna N

Thank you for writing a review on our hotel. We pride ourselves on the service we deliver, and going the extra mile for our guests and I am glad to hear that we were able to make your stay more enjoyable, and help with your father during your stay. Your kind comments are much appreciated and will be shared with our team.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Stayed at Holiday Inn on Flinders in May 2012. We got a really good deal as the hotels in Melbourne CBD are very expensive.

Rooms are reasonable spacious and very clean. Beds are comfortable with a clean bathroom. hotel is in a very good location and walking distances to the shops and other attractions. Tram stop is nearby too.

Staff are friendly and provided good service when we stayed there.

If I visit Melbourne again, I wouldn't mind staying here again. I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone if you re considering to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Luxurious88

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback, and I am glad that you found a good deal and received great service from our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.