“Nice hotel in a very good location!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders

Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
Ranked #79 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Rehovot
“Nice hotel in a very good location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel is in a very central location, located very close to the central station and close the convention center. The room was large and had a refrigerator, the people at the front desk were very nice, helped with maps and directions. Internet services are quite expensive. I traveled back to the airport using an express bus which was only 17 AUD. Much cheaper than the taxi I took on the way there. The taxi driver actually was not very sure where the hotel was and his GPS made us circle around. Luckily, I notice the hotel and asked the driver to stop. Perhaps it will be worth to note in the name that the hotel is on Flinders lane (not Flinders). The cleaning people forgot one day to place shampo and another day to place part of the towels, which should be noted more carefully in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed here one night travelling to and from the airport which was very convenient - a short walk from the airport bus depot ($15pp one way to the airport) and the train station. The staff were all very friendly, and our basic size room was very comfortable, with our requested crib set up before we arrived. Beds were comfortable and bathroom was functional. There was short-term luggage storage available which was a bonus. The buffet breakfast was pricey ($30 pp) but looked very good. Internet use in the room was expensive. The morning we left, I checked under the beds to make sure we had everything, and it was in need of a vacuum under there! Otherwise it was a good stay for the convenient location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cangirl_10
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Cangirl_10,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate that you find our location to be convenient and your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding cleanliness and the internet access. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the HI Melbourne while we attended the Australian Open. It's a 15 minute walk to Federation Square and an additional 10 minutes to Rod Laver Arena. We used the red Skybus from the airport, round trip $26, which drops you off at Southern Cross Station. Walk out of the station, turn right and go about 3 blocks and the HI is across the street. The front desk staff is professional and friendly. They had printed copies of the tennis schedule every day for guests. There are computers with free Internet in the business center around the corner from the desk. We had a King room that was very spacious and had a dry bar by the bathroom with a tea kettle, a variety of glassware, coffee and tea, a refrigerator with a carton of milk, and a safe. My only issue with the room was the temperature of the hot water, it was scalding! It was so hot that I burned my hand on the faucet after running the hot water. Except for that, an exceptional stay. Well done, HI!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Country Vic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Amanda the Duty manager saved me from a bad night so thank you. I checked in ate and my room was in dispute, but Amanda stepped in and in a fantastic display of customer service, got me a room and as a Priority Club Member, ensured it was a nice quiet one.
The staff overall were fantastic, and the hallmark of this hotel - the rooms themselves are nice, not new or fantastic but nice.
Recommended!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LovesAWine
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Holiday Inn is always Holiday Inn. Mid/high range, you get what you pay for with a smile and you never have any really unpleasant surprises.

Having said that Holiday Inn on Fliders (the street name) is better than most. Rooms are not newly renovated but it's clean and well maintained, public areas are airy and fresh and the staff is very freindly and service oriented.

There is a resturant (Sirocco) that serve basic food of good quality for a reasonable price, even though I didn't bring the kids this time around this feels like a place I would be comfortable bringing them to (without having to feel they would "disturb" anyone).

The location is excellent, just turn right when you come out the door and walk into the city centre (just follow Flinders til you his the city centre, you can't miss it) or take the free tram (ask hotel staff for directions).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

As a loyal guest of the ICG chain I chose the Holiday Inn because it was the cheapest one in the CBD (the Crowne Plaza and InterContinental are close by). The location is very good, near a stop of the free city circle tram, and a few minutes away from Southern Cross Station; if you're driving your own car it may not be as convenient, though.

As for the hotel itself, it's good enough. I was told I had been upgraded, but I'm not really sure. However, I couldn't complain about the room, it had everything I needed. My main complaint was the cost of internet, when the room itself was expensive enough, but I guess it's normal for Australia, and the exchange rate with our currency is quite painful for us Europeans. On the other hand, the room service food I ordered was tasty are good value.

I had a business meeting in the lobby area and we weren't disturbed at all by the noise from the people moving around, so I guess it's just a good an option for leisure or business stays. I can recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank josmon10
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Overall the hotel is a standard Holiday Inn setup. Nice rooms, clean, efficient. I had a lovely view from my room. There is a nice restaurant and bar area on the ground level. Not exactly a place for a hot date but certainly a good place to grab a bite to eat.

The wifi throughout the building is very patchy. Luckily the rooms have wired internet which i good quality (although expensive and bandwidth limited). I think the cost was $25 for 24 hours with a 1000Gb limit. That might sound like a lot but not if you're doing a video conference or a remote desktop connection. Seriously, hotels shouldn't be charging for internet these days....

It's handy location certainly is a big bonus. I think it's a handy place if you're visiting for a short trip.

Room Tip: If you need good wifi, check if your room has a good signal... or bring a network cable