“Imaginative dishes in a great setting”
Review of The Moat

The Moat
Ranked #680 of 4,108 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Melbourne, Australia
“Imaginative dishes in a great setting”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We dropped in to this delightful restaurant for lunch. Located in Little Lonsdale Street under the State Library, the old bluestone walls have been blended into a wonderful interior. The menu includes many distinctive dishes. I had the forest mushroom ragout with Provencale herbs & baguette and this was delicious. The wine list included a nice variety ranging from an Argentinian malbec to the interestingly named Ladies who shoot their lunch shiraz from Strathbogie. This restaurant is well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
“Yes Yes Yes OMG Yes and a big sad no”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Great salmon belly, cute not overly pretentious waiter, yummy coffee, ambiance perfect (hence the 5).

I've been before with a much larger group and loved it which is why I took one of my verydear friends for her birthday and raved about the desserts.

When we asked for the dessert menu (we'd been talking, it has been 10 years since we saw each other, or maybe even 15) they said the kitchen was closed. Later they came and offered us some exceptionally scrumptious biscuits.

But. Dessert is my first, my last, my everything.

Perhaps it was an oversight as I am a slow eater of mains. But I speedy greedy guzzler of desserts.

Should I order dessert first next time?

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank CateHodder
Sydney, Australia
“Good food in a very nice ambience”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

In a crypt-like space underneath the State Library, the Moat is a warm, comfortable and friendly restaurant ideally suited to a visit in the Melbourne winter.

Being our wedding anniversary, we decided to choose share plates: charcuterie to start (with bubbles for one and a riesling for the other) followed by the fish pie (special for the day) and cassoulet (with different red wines). For desert a delicious chocolate and olive oil delice with tea and coffee to complete the meal.

The food was fresh and well prepared, the wines by the glass offered a reasonable amount of choice, the staff extremely helpful (even providing a 'lost property' umbrella as the Melbourne elements took care of my $5 investment in a new umbrella earlier in the day) and the bill was surprisingly small!

We will return.

Visited July 2013
Hobart, Australia
“Simply sassy!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

A fabulous funky underground restaurant.
The menu is short with about 5 main meals to choose from... we ate braised beef cheek - it was cooked to perfection.
Gorgeous pre dinner nibbles that were very substantial - warm olives, sweet and sour nuts, wasabi chickpeas... and a delicious salad of cos lettuce, tomato, herbs and quinoa.
To Finnish off we shared a chocolate platter with the most divine sweet and salty toffee crunch.
The staff were lovely and efficient. Thank you.
We expected to pay a little more for such great food and service but got a pleasant surprise when the bill came.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank MerrenW
Wonga Beach, Australia
“Oh, yum”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Visiting a couple of locals who had told me about goat at the Moat. Apparently, fabulous goat... Menu is seasonal so we had no goat. :-( Instead, we shared a prawn & a scallop starter, extra piece added as there were 4 of us. Both were exceptional. Old grain salad (?) Meatballs & sublime lamb to follow. Amazing desserts... Price point was fine & I would so happily return to eat here. No wonder it is a favourite with the locals.

• Visited April 2013