“Give it a go, depends on what you like.”
Review of Mama Baba - CLOSED

Mama Baba
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Chapel Street
Melbourne, Australia
“Give it a go, depends on what you like.”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Busy, noisy place with tables packed closely together. You couldn't have walked through the space between our table and the next one so not that private. The place has a cafe/bar atmosphere which I really liked.
We were there for an early sitting on a Saturday night. At first there were lots of families with young children. They could wander around and be a bit noisy as it's that sort of place. They were replaced mostly by groups (8 or so people).
Wait staff were attentive, very attentive! We had 3 people hovering around the two of us. They were friendly and helpful but in the end we said we'd pour our own wine. The glass was literally topped up after every sip.
The service during the meal (Mama menu) made me feel like I had to eat quickly as the staff kept checking how we were doing. As the pasta dishes were being cleared the main was being put on the table by another waiter! My advice would be to ask at the start of your meal for there to be a break between courses. We just assumed there would be. Not sure what all rushing was for, we were out 45 minutes before the sitting ended!
For a set menu in the type of restaurant it was the food was good. The portion sizes were fine (pasta was plentiful ensuring you won't feel hungry) and there were a variety of dishes. Melon and proscuito as an entree, lamb, mashed potato and salad as a main and a pastry/cake filled with nutella for dessert were amongst the selections. These were all fine but I felt it was all a bit boring and uninspired really. I was hoping for a dish I had not experienced before, maybe a different take on a classic or something I would not cook myself. Disappointing in that respect. The bread basket was plentiful but quality could be improved and more variety would be welcome. The lamb and accompanying salad was extremely salty. I'd suggest requesting no salt be added.
It is what it is and really depends on what you are after. It put me in mind of, "Jamies Italian," very similar in decor, service, food etc.
We were glad we gave it a try. Total bill $185.00 for 2 people which included the $55.00 set menu a bottle of wine and two drinks on arrival. No coffee.

Adelaide, Australia
“Great meal”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Had a great meal here. Opted not to have the $55 taster menu, but select our own dishes. All food was tasty and well presented. We had an early sitting so therefore had two hours, but we didn't feel at all rushed, which was a nice surprise. The waitress was lovely. Overall a good experience and would go back again.

• Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Great pasta on a cold night!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We happen to walk by Mama Baba on the way to the South Yarra train station from The Olsen hotel. We decided to have a light dinner there one night and had an excellent plate of pasta (broccoli fusilli) with a couple of starters (zucchini flowers and olive ascolane). Good value for money with excellent flavours.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Thoroughly enjoyed dining at MAMABABA”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and myself had a great time at MAMABABA. We had the fried zucchini flowers with stuffed cheese and sticky ribs with Attiki honey and they were absolutely divine. Main was quite substantial and filling and very tasty, and dessert hit the spot. The menu is divided between Greek dishes and Italian to reflect George's culinary upbringing. The staff were very attentive, and made us feel comfortable throughout our dining experience.
This restaurant cannot be compared with Hellenic Republic, George's other place. MAMABABA is more relaxed and funky, something that I quite enjoy.
Also a great place to bring the kids and bubs. They do have a baby menu to boot!

Sydney
“Unbelievable wine prices”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I dined at this this restaurant in November 2012 & was horrified to see the inflated wine prices. Starting wine prices were around $65 per bottle rapidly increasing upward to unbelievable prices. I chose a bottle at $65 which was frankly worth about $12 retail, (& to the restauarant would cost less) & it was vin ordinaire.