“Smart modern Italian”

Lupino Bistro and Bar
Ranked #86 of 4,034 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Wellington
“Smart modern Italian”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

It'd be a shame not to have a great Italian dinner in Melbourne and Lupino didn't disappoint. It's obviously popular with the locals and I love an open kitchen. We ate early on what was obviously going to be a busy night but the service was attentive and slick. The food was superb, with some of the traditional favourites but good use made of local ingredients too. Try and leave room for a little limoncello at the end - it was one of the nicest I've had. I'd definitely dine here again - booking in advance for busy nights is probably a good idea. It's ideal for couples and small groups with a smart casual vibe - the tables are tightly packed, but I noticed that applies to a lot of Melbourne restaurants.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank WellingtonKiwiJo

Australia
“Amazing Italian Gem”
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Visited this restaurant for dinner after reading about it on Broadsheet. It was one of the best Italian restaurants I have eaten at in Melbourne (this includes Baby & Mama Baba & many of the tourist traps on Lygon St). We dined as a group of 3 and shared 3 entrées, each had one of the pasta dishes for main and enjoyed the food so much we each had a desert! Given the quality of the food, amazing service (and we also had a bottle of wine to share) we were surprised it was just under $200! So very reasonably priced. Will definitely be back!

Denver, Colorado
“Very Enjoyable, Not Run of the Mill Italian”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had a lovely meal here this week. Sometimes Italian can be a bit heavy when eating late, I didn't arrive until after 9:00 pm, but this was perfect! The caprese salad was made with fresh mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes and the biggest tastiest basil. Another unexpected pleasure was the white (marinated, not salt preserved) anchovies. I'm sure I broke some purest rules, but they were a perfect addition to the salad. I had the chicken and garlic tortelloni. The beautiful filled pasta pockets were in a light flavorful broth (not heavy sauce). This allowed each ingredient to really stand out. Everything was executed perfectly. Just enough tables. Just enough room between them. Just enough choices on the menu. I will definitely go back.

• Visited January 2014
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“a gem of an italian restaurant”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I've been to many fine Italian restaurants in Melbourne, but this one stands out because it is so unexpected. Tucked in a laneway behind a multi-storey carpark, I had a very enjoyable business lunch. My seafood spaghetti was excellent with delicate flavors, and the salad with pear slices was refreshingly good. Service was lively and efficient. There is a casual ambience, and the dining room is not large, probably more suited for smaller groups. I plan to return

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank sodesa
Robe, Australia
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We visited this great restaurant to celebrate my daughter in laws 30 the birthday. We were greeted when we arrived by the owner and you felt so welcome .The place has a great atmosphere and I can't fault the service. All of us chose different meals and everyone loved their choice.
Well done we will be back and have already recommended you to friends

• Visited December 2013