“Wine Tour Macedonia Region”
Review of Mike's Wine Tours

Mike's Wine Tours
Ranked #23 of 100 Food & Drink in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Mike's full day wine tours of the Macedon Ranges and Yarra Valley are one of the best Melbourne day tours. Our guided wine tours are fully inclusive of all transport, wine tastings and a Gourmet Lunch of choice which is served with a glass of wine. We visit Boutique Wineries on all our tours and Hanging Rock on the Macedon Ranges tour which provides our guests with personal service and a truly memorable experience of visiting Melbourne.
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My friends and I had a wonderful time on Mike's wine tour to the Macedonia region. He took us to a variety of types of wineries where we met interesting winemakers and tasted a wide range of wines. We also enjoyed a delicious lunch that was ready upon our arrival, since Mike planned ahead. Thanks for a memorable day near Melbourne.

Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent Girls' Day Out Wine Tour to The Macedon Ranges Wine Region which is only an hour's drive from Melbourne.

It is certainly very enjoyable and rewarding for my guests to meet the actual winemakers and have them discuss the finer points in how they make their wines and the way in which they ensure the grapes are allowed to fully express their individual characteristics and styles.

Enjoying a delicious and substantial Main Course Lunch of choice at either Holgate Brewery in Woodend or Hanging Rock Cafe at Hanging Rock Reserve certainly adds to the experience of joining Mike's Wine Tours so I will now look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Mike and hospitality go hand in hand - he's an excellent host. As a group of 8 friends the comfortable and immaculate 9 seater bus was perfect for our tour. The Macedon Range was a new experience for all of us who love touring the wine regions of Australia. The first vineyard introduced us to the ex Welshman Trevor with his very good wines, the second vineyard was quite different and a bit busier and the third was Paramoor, run by husband and wife team Liz & Will. Paramoor was the highlight not only their wines but the atmosphere in the barn. Liz had prepared a couple of lovely cheese platters, we sat on comfy sofas and chairs and could easily have stayed for a couple of hours - I believe that they do pizza on certain days. Mike's enthusiasm for the region comes across strongly. We had to time to visit Hanging Rock which was really special. Only down side was the change of restaurant, it couldn't be helped, it was something out of anyone's control. Would our group recommend Mike's tours...A very big YES...we'll be back Mike!!!

Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you very much for providing a 5 Star Review of your recent Private Wine Tour from Melbourne to The Macedon Ranges, mainland Australia's highest cool climate wine growing region.

With enthusiasm and professionalism, I thoroughly enjoy providing my guests with a comfortable and very relaxed pace throughout the tour which enables you to enjoy your guided wine tasting experience with my winemakers who also provide a warm and friendly welcome at each winery we visit.

While the change to our lunch venue was unavoidable due to circumstances beyond mine or anyone's control, your entire group were very complimentary of the quality of the food provided with substantial portions for each guest's meal and subsequent enjoyment.

Matching this with numerous Australian Gold Medal Award Winning Wines from this premier boutique wine region of Australia ensures my guests are provided with an exceptional and memorable wine touring experience for choosing Mike's Wine Tours while visiting Melbourne.

I am sure you will all enjoy the many wines that you purchased on the day of your tour for many years to come and I am already very much looking forward to being of service to you all once again as I continue to share with you and explore the many more Macedon Ranges Wineries.

Hope to see you again soon and with my very best wishes to you all.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I chose Mike's Wine Tours for my Hen's Day and we all had a fantastic time! There was a full bus of 23 excited females ready for a big day and everything went so well. The wines were great, the weather was great and most of all, Mike was great!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

It's great to hear that your lovely group of 23 ladies all had a "FANTASTIC" day celebrating your recent Hen's Day with Mike's Wine Tours and please accept my thanks for your concise review.

As a professional wine tour operator, I strive to ensure your important occasions are celebrated in true style with all the necessary arrangements taken care of by me which allows you to relax and enjoy the great wines offered throughout the day matched with great food along with my personal service and attention.

When the weather is great as it was on your day, Mike's Wine Tours provide the perfect opportunity to enjoy your wine tasting sitting outdoors in the sunshine or relaxing in the magnificent gardens or enjoying a picnic on the manicured lawns.

I trust you will enjoy the great wines on your wedding day and beyond and I look forward to welcoming you all back again in the very near future for another memorable wine tour with me.

With my very Best Wishes for your future and until next time.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We visited Melbourne for 4 days as an extended weekend trip with 8 girls and wanted to do something that would encompass wine and visiting some of the outskirts of Melbourne, while still having time to shop till we dropped. The half day wine tour that Mike offered ticked all the boxes.
As part of the half day tour we were supposed to visit two wineries, but Mike squeezed in a third, and we sure were glad that he did as the third was definitely the highlight. This was a small family run winery that most residents wouldn't have even know it existed. The Ganga winery had something very special about it, and the love that the two brothers we met showed for the wine touched us all.
Mike was very knowledgeable and friendly!! A great day had by all

Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you very much for offering your thoughts about your recent Mike's Wine Tours' Half Day Wine Tour from Melbourne which I sincerely appreciate.

As a Specialist Wine Tour Company in Melbourne that offers my guests with very unique and different wine tour choices, my Half Day Wine Tour is the perfect solution for visitors with limited time in Melbourne to get out of the city and explore some of the Wineries of Victoria only a 40 minute drive from Melbourne while still having time to enjoy the city of Melbourne itself.

This tour visits some of the best boutique wineries within the Sunbury Wine Region while providing my guests with the opportunity to also enjoy some of Melbourne's City Highlights in the afternoon such as The Colonial Tramcar Restaurant, City Explorer Free Tourist Shuttle Bus, the free City Circle Tram, HarbourTown Shopping Centre or DFO.

With the opportunity to also share my local knowledge about Melbourne along with visiting 2 -3 wineries on this Short Day Tour from Melbourne, these tours are great value for money and provide many benefits for the traveller, visitor or locals with limited time in Melbourne.

I trust you enjoyed your wines that you purchased and may you have a very enjoyable celebration of your upcoming birthday and I will look forward to seeing you all again for another memorable Mike's Wine Tours experience when you are next staying in Melbourne.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were visiting Australia for the first time and wanted to experience a wine tour as my wife Debbie and I are keen on exploring new wines.

We wanted a small tour of around 10 people, and Mikes Wine Tour in Melbourne offered that as well as a trip to Hanging Rock, which after the 70s movie is one of my most sought after destinations so the combination of a a small wine tour and this iconic place was enough for us to sign up.

Mike's tour is so much more personal than the vast array of other tours that all go to the very popular and busy Yarra vineyards whereas Mike takes you to the beautiful and much less well known Macedon Ranges and vineyards.

Mike is the perfect host and we set our with him and a party of 7 to the Macedon wine region. All along the way Mike imparts amazing local knowledge of wine and the history of the area. The trip was to take in three very unique wineries tasting up to 50 wines. There was a meal at Hanging Rock as well as time to walk up the spectacular and historic rock taking in the breathtaking scenery.

We stopped first at Mount Charlie winery where we were met by the owner and wine connoisseur Trevor. We sat on his veranda decking overlooking the beautiful vineyards where mike took us through a few techniques to make the wine tasting more fun and interesting. The host Trevor took us through his array of wines, giving us generous glasses and providing us with a first hand insight into the wine making from a man that has dedicated his life to making amazing wines. He also provided fresh olives from his land and beautiful cheese and crackers to go with the wine. Trevor makes a truly divine Tempranillo as well as an exceptional Malbec. You will never experience a more personal wine taste than this unless you sign up to Mike's tour

The second stop was for lunch at the beautiful and mysterious Hanging Rock. The restaurant offered exceptional choice of food and bent over backwards to accommodate us. The standard was excellent and the portions were large. After lunch we walked up to the mysterious and incredibly beautiful Hanging Rock where we took in the scenery and were able to take many photographs of this truly unforgettable place

From here Mike took us to the Hanging Rock winery where I lost count of the number of wines that we tasted. The hospitality was second to none and Mike's impressive wine knowledge was an added bonus. At all venues we were greeted by the most warm and sincere hospitality and the patrons were happy to share their wealth of knowledge about the local area and it's wines. It was here that I bought their Gold medal winning shiraz which was a true highlight of this vineyard.

The final stop was at an incredible winery called Paramoor which was set out in a beautiful old barn with sofa's, open fires and the smell of leather. The owner Will took us through his full range of wines and explained in great depth how they cultivated them and how they had been rated in the high 90s by the wine experts. The wines were named after different members of the family and were truly excellent, his Cabernet -Shiraz was exceptional as were so many of his family wines and the hospitality was out of this world.

Mike offers a very different tour to all others on the market. His personal knowledge of wine and the region is second to none and the incredible wines and personal attention provided at these magnificent wineries have made this tour the finest I have ever had the pleasure to try. I have been on wine tours all over the world, extensively in France, Italy and Spain as well as California and this was by far the best. If you love wine, and you want quality with a personal touch then Mike's wine tour is a must for you.

Next time I am in Melbourne the very first thing that I will do is book another tour with Mike's Wine Tours.

Thanks Mike
Steve Shakesheave-Thomas Wellington New Zealand

3  Thank Shakey031062
Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for providing such a comprehensive review of your recent wine tour to the Macedon Ranges and Hanging Rock for the benefit of other Trip Advisor users and it is very pleasing to read that you regard your wine tour as the "Best Wine Tour I Have Ever Been On".

I very much appreciate that you have highlighted how personal my tours are and the fact that the information and knowledge I share with my guests along with Private Wine Tasting with my winemakers provides you with exceptional service in a relaxed, warm and friendly environment.

With the opportunity to sample many award winning wines that are complimented with a lovely Main Course Lunch of choice, Mike's Wine Tours offer everyone with great value for money wine tours to meet any budget.

Trevor from Mount Charlie Winery certainly makes some incredible little known varieties as you have mentioned such as Tempranillo and Malbec while Hanging Rock Winery came runner up to Cloudy Bay from Marlborough in New Zealand in a recent International Wine Show for producing the world's best Sauvignon Blanc and to add to the high quality of wines that Mike's Wine Tours offer, Paramoor Winery consistently achieves scores for their wine well into the 90's out of 100 by the well known Australian Wine Judge named James Halliday.

My tours are certainly in very high demand for the many reasons that you have outlined in your comments and I will very much look forward to hosting you again and providing you with the same level of high service as we continue to explore many more of the award winning wineries of the Macedon Ranges next time you are staying in Melbourne.

Until then,