“Awesome:)”
Review of Mike's Wine Tours

Mike's Wine Tours
Ranked #23 of 100 Food & Drink in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Mike's full day wine tours of the Macedon Ranges and Yarra Valley are one of the best Melbourne day tours. Our guided wine tours are fully inclusive of all transport, wine tastings and a Gourmet Lunch of choice which is served with a glass of wine. We visit Boutique Wineries on all our tours and Hanging Rock on the Macedon Ranges tour which provides our guests with personal service and a truly memorable experience of visiting Melbourne.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I booked mikes wine tour for my mam visiting I had been to yarra valleys before but wanted to try something different:)the 9 of us so we done private tour it's was amazing from start to finish mike was brilliant telling us about all the sites and the history on the way to Macedon ranges..first stop was Gordon cope..this guy was so lovely such a gentleman great start to the trip:)the wine was tasty too..the lunch was amazing too at hanging rock and we also had time to walk to hanging rock too:)I would recommend mikes wine tours to anybody he has selected the best people and winery's to visit very unique,great experience:)I will be seeing u again shortly mike thanks for a great day:)

Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent Private Winery Tour and to read that you felt it was "AWESOME" is very satisfying to me indeed.

You summed it up very well that's for sure!!!

What better way to spend a day in Melbourne than by getting a group of family and friends together and experience great wine tastings, great food, meet great people and visit Hanging Rock as well.

It definitely is a very unique and different wine tour experience and one that I very much look forward to sharing with so many more friendly people like yourself so that they too may enjoy a fun, rewarding and memorable wine tour.

Hopefully I will get to see you all again very soon for another "AWESOME" experience and thanks again for choosing Mike's Wine Tours to treat your Mum while she was in Melbourne.

Until next Time,

"winemaker"
in 14 reviews
"hens"

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Sunday the 13. this month, nine of us took the Macedon Ranges wine tour with Mike. Everything about this tour, including the correspondece before the trip, was the top class service. After the initial enquiry and interest in Yarra Valley, I was not quite sure either to trust him or not, when he suggested the Macedon Ranges rather than Yarra Valley. Somehow I felt that he could be trusted and I was wright. Not that I can compare these two, because we did not see tha Yarra Valley, but because whatever we were offered and seen in this tour was absolutelly excellent. Mike has excellent knowledge about the area, about the wine in general and how to interact with people without being anoying. His time management skills, as a very important component in this sort of situations, are perfect. He mannaged everythig on time without being pushy.
What else to say but...WE HAD VERY MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE AND LOOK FORWARD TO CATCHING UP WITH MIKE AGAIN. GOOD ON YOU MIKE.
PS. (from Alex) The only thing Mike faild was to find a young Ozzie Cowgirl for youn Nic....HAHAHAHAHA

1  Thank Dordrag68

It's great to hear how much faith and trust you placed in me to provide you with a highlight and first class service during your recent stay in Melbourne for the Australian Open Tennis Grand Slam Championships.

By very carefully selecting smaller boutique wineries in The Macedon Ranges rather than the more larger and commercial Yarra Valley Wineries and Mornington Peninsula Wineries for both my Public Wine Tours and Private Wine Tours, Mike's Wine Tours are able to provide an excellent wine tour from Melbourne for all local, interstate and overseas visitors to a region that is relatively unknown but boasts many friendly and family owned cellar doors and great local produce.

Combining all of this with my people skills and knowledge of wine and the Macedon Ranges region assures all of my guests a great value for money wine tour that offers so much more.

You were a fun and friendly group of people to tour with and I am already very much looking forward to meeting you all again the next time you are visiting Melbourne and if young Nick is still single and looking for a lovely Australian girl, hopefully his dreams will come true then.

Please enjoy your wines when they arrive at your front door and until next time, take care.

Many thanks,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

For a couple of "non wine drinkers", we had a fantastic day out in the Macedon Ranges for our friend's 50th. Mike is down to Earth, very friendly and passionate about all aspects of his work. Loved having Mike not only being our driver/tour guide, but having someone to tell us when to get moving and how much time we had at each winery. Normally in a large group, these things can get a bit out of hand. Highly recommend Mike's wine tours to anyone!

Gabriella and Michael, VIEWBANK. VIC.

Thank you very much for your kind words and especially for sharing some of your great photo's that you captured on the day of your recent wine tour which I appreciate very much.

They certainly give many other future guests the opportunity to see what a wonderful and different experience they will have by choosing Mike's Wine Tours for their Melbourne Wine Tour.

It is certainly more than just a wine tour experience and offered with friendly, passionate and personal service as well.

I am sure you will enjoy your wine appreciation so much more now and I will look forward to hosting you again for another memorable celebration.

All the Best,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Mike made sure we all had a fantastic, funfilled, memorable day! I would give him 110% for customer service. His passion for wine and his knowledge of the local area was shared with us making it an interesting day.I enjoyed the 10 minute demonstration on how to get the best out of tasting different wine.Most of us were unaware of the beautiful wineries around the Macedon Ranges and the ones we visited were all very different in character and it was fun to meet the different character's that make the wine....The gourmet lunch at Hanging Rock was excellent and so was the cheese platers at Paramoor Winery! Mike stayed with us the whole time and was on hand to answer questions, take our photos and help us take home our purchases of our favourite wines. The day was very relaxing as we had the wineries to ourselves and being picked up and dropped off from where we live was great!
I can't wait for another excuse to do it all again!! Thank you Mike!!

1  Thank Tracie Y
Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Please accept my sincere thanks and appreciation for choosing Mike's Wine Tours to help you celebrate your milestone birthday and also for providing such a complimentary review of your recent Private Wine Tour with me.

Ensuring my guests receive personal care and attention throughout the whole day and sharing my vast knowledge with you with guided wine tastings helps you achieve the most value from your wine tour while enhancing your very own knowledge and wine appreciation.

By offering Private Wine Tastings with the winemakers and having the cellar doors exclusively to ourselves on most occasions also helps create a positive, rewarding and memorable Private Winery Tours experience that others cannot and do not provide.

Combine this with wonderful Boutique Wines and Reserve Wines with excellent Gourmet Food and delightful Cheese Tasting along with the opportunity to visit Hanging Rock gives my guests a great value wine tour with a difference.

Also, being picked up from your home and without the need for you to drive also promotes safe and responsible drinking of alcohol ensuring everyone has a fun and very enjoyable day.

Mike's Wine Tours are not just a wine tour but a great value wine tour that offers so much more.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Specialty and Rare Wines that you purchased for many years to come and I will look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

All the Best,

See more reviews
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Mike has a wonderful concept for this tour of the less touristed wineries in the Macedon Ranges. The tour is keenly priced. It cost $115 per person and for a small group tour of 10 people or less, which is a great price. We did a small group tour of the Yarra Valley Wineries and it cost us almost $60 more per person. Our tour commenced from outside St Patrick's Cathedral (opposite Federation Square) at 9.15am. Within the hour, we were at Cope Williams, a lovely establishment, tasting some wonderful wines from the delightfully urbane Gordon. We bought a case of his Cabernet Sav and can't wait for it to be delivered to us later this week. The next stop was Hanging Rock Reserve, where we had a very enjoyable lunch. The lunch options that Mike has selected there are very good quality and large! After lunch, there is time to walk up to the summit of Hanging Rock (which we did). Even if you are full from lunch, I really recommend this. It is such an iconic location for anyone with knowledge of cinematic history and the fascinating and eerie movie, Picnic at Hanging Rock. This was such a highlight, to have time to climb the rock. It is absolutely excellent that Mike has worked the time for this into the itinerary for the day. If you don't want to take the walk up the rock there is an excellent visitor's centre that you can visit or you can have an ice cream and sit in the reserve with the kangaroos. The next place we visited was the Hanging Rock Winery. We bought a bottle of their famous Cuvee to have on New Years Eve. Apparently James Halliday (famous Aussie Wine Critic) has rated it as being as good as Bollinger. It was certainly excellent Sparkling White. The final place we visited was Paramoor - a very laid back family operation run by a retired Kodak engineer who has a wonderful passion for wine making. We got a lovely cheese platter with our wine tasting there. Paramoor, we felt was the most consistent of all the tastings on the day and the people were so wonderful. We can't wait to try the three bottles we have brought home with us from there as well. This is an excellent alternative to the more touristy Yarra Valley wineries. The Macedon Ranges and Daylesford area are beautiful places of Victorian countryside to visit and this tour is a nice relaxed way of doing it. I highly recommend the day. I would have given the trip 5 stars but we didn't have Mike as our guide. It is plainly evident the importance that Mike places on customer service because he met up with us through the day whilst he was guiding a private group around and made sure he introduced himself and thanked us for coming on the tour. It was personalised and a nice gesture from someone who really understands customer care. Our guide for the day Dave, whilst a nice bloke, didn't engage with the group (unless you sat next to him in the front seat). Don't get me wrong, he wasn't rude, he was nice to talk to and did all the rudimentary things required such as getting our lunch choices organised, keeping the tour moving and opening doors for us. However, he didn't give any information on a bit of background on any of the places we visited before going inside (they all asked before starting their spiel "I'm sure Dave has told you all about us"...which he hadn't). A bit of history for the overseas visitors on Hanging Rock reserve would have been nice, rather than "there's a visitor centre to have a look at." I think Dave really feels at home being a driver, not a guide. I am sure that Mike is under the genuine impression that Dave engages with the group more than he actually does. In a small group, the guide really makes the day. I wish we had Mike, but we are really experienced travellers, so we enjoyed the places we visited regardless. Hanging Rock reserve was a real highlight, and the wine was very enjoyable. We have also done a large group winery tour of the Bordeaux Region in France and having compared the two, I really recommend the extra that you will pay for the small group experience. It is so much more relaxed and you get much more attention at the places you visit. This tour is unique because you can combine a relaxed day of tasting with a bit of natural Australian (iconic) history.

1  Thank Belgo96
Mikes-Wine-Tours, Owner at Mike's Wine Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Please accept my sincere thanks and gratitude for offering some of your personal time to write such an in-depth and honest review of your recent Public Wine Tour.

I appreciate all of the feedback and comments I receive from my guests who have toured with me which in return ultimately benefits you, my guests, my future guests and Mike's Wine Tours.

To read that you had a "Wonderful Tour" which you found was also "Uniquely Australian" is very satisfying to me and that you found your Wine Tour to be very relaxing is also pleasing to hear.

A great deal of my time, energy and thoughts went into creating these Specialised Wine Tours to The Macedon Ranges which certainly are very unique, great value wine tours that offer an alternative to Yarra Valley Winery Tours and The Mornington Peninsula Wine Tours..

By carefully selecting award winning wineries such as Cope Williams Winery, Hanging Rock Winery and Paramoor Winery just to name a few, along with the many other wineries in the Daylesford and Macedon Ranges region and matching this with a substantial offering of Gourmet Food while visiting Hanging Rock ( venue for Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band Wrecking Ball Tour concert ) and combining this with personal and excellent customer service make Mike's Wine Tours the perfect and ideal choice for a Melbourne Wine Tour.

While I understand at this stage that Dave's knowledge is not yet at the same level of mine, he is working very hard and doing many hours of research to further his knowledge so he can become more confident in delivering the information that he provides to his, and ultimately, my guests such as you.

I'm sure in the very near future you will also be reading great reviews about Dave's sharing of his knowledge as an acknowledgement of his efforts so far as he is new to this region and the tour guide role but brings with him a friendly personality with customer focus too.

I trust you will enjoy your beautiful wines that you purchased on your tour for many years to come and I will hopefully have the pleasure of meeting you once again in the not too distant future for another memorable and highly recommended Mike's Wine Tours experience.

All the very best for 2013.
Kind Regards,