“Not the greeting hoped for.”

Time Out Cafe and Bar
Ranked #197 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Horsham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the greeting hoped for.”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Considering this a stones throw from the excellent tourist centre in Federation Square the welcome from the two staff we encountered was grim. One was a young bearded chap who seemed to not be not enjoying life at all. The other staff member was a Scottish girl who I can only describe as surley. The service itself was quick and efficient and we only had one drink (may be that was the problem!). Inside the restaurant there seemed a better atmosphere and the person who I paid was very nice. The big problem is that when looking for a place to eat if you encounter such miserable people you are not going to return to spend more of your hard earned pounds. Sorry Time Out but this was the only place during our four days where we encountered anything but friendliness.

• Visited November 2012

• Polish first
“Don't waste your time”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Where do we start? Waiters who don't speak clear English, who do not know what is on the menu, who place a drink in front of you and make disparaging remarks about how it was made. A Cesar salad which had a clear request for anchovies and arrived with one on the plate, a salad that arrived and had egg and dairy products after a specific request for neither. The penne was bland, calamari salad was of, at best, a poor standard. The cocktails were poorly mixed and served on so much ice that they spilled over the table when they were placed in front of us. After our initial drinks order no one came to ask if we wanted any more. We didn't even bother with dessert. It was a disappointing start to our evening.

Melbourne, Australia
“Horrible - Noisy, Underwhelming, Rude”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I met two friends for lunch and we found a table outside. The waiter was quick to serve and pleasant. He discussed gluten-free options with me and I ordered the GF Warm Roast Pumpkin Salad - "Roast Japanese pumpkin topped with mixed leaves, tomato, Spanish onions & herbed Italian beans in a light balsamic vinaigrette" $19.90.

What arrived was two slices of roast pumpkin topped with mixed leaves and a few tiny slivers of tomato, with some breadcrumbed feta on top and thick creamy sauce ("light vinaigrette"?). The waitress delivered it as "Gluten free pumpkin salad" and was confused when I queried the crumbed 'things'. After some discussion, she took the plate away and returned it without what turned out to be crumbed cheese. So, I basically had pumpkin and lettuce for lunch. My friends were nearly finished their lunch so I let it go and had a sandwich when I got home (hungry!).

The outdoor tables seem great, but the reality is there are no stoppers on the metal chair legs and we were constantly bombarded with the deafening noise of the chairs being dragged and scraped across the concrete. It was never-ending... we had to shout to hear each other for a considerable portion of the lunch and it became tiresome. Just when a table of 6 stopped their rearranging of furniture and we all sighed relief, a staff member came and dragged the chairs around on another table.

When we went to pay, the cash register attendant was horribly rude to my friend, who was trying to pay 1/3 of the bill. The girl snapped loudly "you can't just tell me an amount!". She was frustrated, angry and unhelpful. We asked to see the bill and she slammed it in front of us then struck a moody pose with her hand on her hip, sighing and rolling her eyes.

We were glad to leave. I strongly suggest skipping this place and heading to Chocolate Buddha nearby, where the staff is professional, food is fantastic, great value and atmosphere most pleasant.

Never again.

• Visited November 2012
Seattle, WA
“Yummy shares and pleasantly cheeky staff”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Go for the house ice tea and skewers if you're in need of a light snack. For dinner there's a Largelish menu covering a multitude of tastes -- and booze. The outlook is urban with trams rumbling about, schoolies wandering by, and lots of tourists. Exceptionally forward staff - very pleasant that. And a nifty wireless ordering system - not so the payments. Behind the times there. Our central spot in the CBD.

Tasmania
“Good coffee and decent food in Federation square”
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Good location in Federation square. The coffee was actually very good where the food was ok. Value for money on the food wasn't great. I had the house baked beans which came with two small pieces of toast and not a lot of beans. I guess you're never going to get the best value for money given the location but the portion sizes did seem tight. The table service was efficient and friendly. Overall a safe bet.