“BEST meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lygon Street
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Good service and excellent food. We were a table of 4 and we ordered 3 pasta meals, one veal and a pizza and all of this were excellent. Will definitely be back

Reviewed July 16, 2014

nice Italian style, must try the garlic prawn on hot plate, just awesome. prefer to be seated outside, then you can enjoy the special atmosphere on Lygon St :)

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Great tasting pasta! Both hubby and I wanted a creamy pasta, so I ordered a zucchini and prawn pasta (minus the zucchini!) and he ordered a seafood pasta. The sauce was amazing. Surprisingly their was a good amount of seafood in his and prawns in mine. I had entree size which I couldn't finish! We received meal quickly although we were there early so not sure how they would have been later in the night! Food was served with traditional Italian language (a nice touch I thought!). The only thing that was a bit average was the time before we had our orders taken. Wait staff had not obviously seen us sit down which is highly unusual in a restaurant in Lygon St!

Reviewed June 22, 2014

Decor was nice with formula one pictures on ceiling and walls. Service was OK except for watresses coming to look at the table from far every 5 minutes like asking us to hurry up. Food was average, meat balls were tasteless and lacked seasoning and pasta sauce tasted like tomato juice, would have been better if it came out of a jar. Only the large portions justify the high prices charged.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I wanted a quick feed, reasonably close to where I was staying. I chose Cafe Cavallino for its atmosphere and popularity.

Yes, it's atmosphere is somewhat cosy. I was sitting outdoors where there was plenty of heating. The actual restaurant was pretty run down and messy.

The waiting time wasn't poor as I received my meal within about 25 minutes. I ordered the usual favourite - Meatlovers. The meal was incredibly average, undersized and the ingredients were below average. I understand that Cafe Cavallino is one of the cheaper places to eat on Lygon Street, however the standard isn't met. The pizza served is definitely not the traditional Italian style you'd expect.

The staff were hit and miss. I noticed a couple of very professional and polite staff. I didn't get either of them. It took me far longer than it should've to hint and then tell that I wanted a table with plenty of staff standing there, looking out into the distance. The lady that served me most of the night wouldn't bother to say more than a couple of words. She led me to my seat, threw down the menu and walked off. When it came to asking her for the bill, it seemed to be a total chore to her. She gave a sarcastic smile, rolled her eyes and replied with 'okay'. I don't think of myself to be a particularly rude or demanding customer... It's beyond obvious that she didn't want to be there.

If you are reading this review, spend a couple of dollars more and eat anywhere else on Lygon Street.

2  Thank Reticent91