“HORRIBLE PLACE”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lygon Street
“HORRIBLE PLACE”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My experience at Cafe Cavillano has left me horrified at the distasteful service and abuse I received from the wait staff when I raised an issue about the quality of my meal.

I ordered the cardinale pasta with chicken and avocado. This is a dish I have consumed in several restaurants around Melbourne and never experience a problem.

I knew it wasn't just me when my other girlfriend who had ordered the same dish couldn't even stomach the chicken and put it to one side.

The chicken tasted soggy and off, however, when I raised my concerns with our waitress who passed it on to the head waiter I was approached in such a disrespectful manner! I was outraged at the accusatory tone he held with me as I raised my genuine concern!

Well if I didn't think my night was bad it got a whole lot worse his blatant disregard for my concerns and his ignorant rationalisations left me furious. Never I have been ordered to pay for a meal I wasn't satisfied with let alone one that was not consumed. His justification and patronising advice that "customers not satisfied with their meals leave their meal to one side, pay and simply don't go to the restaurant again" was insulting for obvious reasons! He then requested that I pay half for a meal that i hadn’t even consumed.

In my very few experiences where the food was not great quality, the staff and management have always been helpful or at the very least offered an alternative.

This Waiters refusal to let us speak to higher management was belittling, rude and arrogant. His attempt to pin the problem I had down to the style of cooking being an acquired taste was absurd considering there’s nothing about a simple pasta dish that needs to be an "acquired taste" to enjoy! He verbally degraded us as we voiced our opinion. This situation could of easily been defused by a simple "I’m sorry, we will get that sorted out for you".

My experience here has been tainted. The detestable service, or lack there of, was condoned by the manager as he/she didn't have the courtesy to approach our table and have a face to face conversation with us. The managers inability to approach me in a respectful manner was obnoxious and offensive

I am never eating here again!! I will be sure to let all my family, friends and colleagues know to avoid what I have found to be a mediocre restaurant in what is otherwise a wonderful city known for its culinary delights.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Reem162

“Large Menu”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We took our overseas visitor to Lygon Street, we chose Cafe Cavallino because of price and the range on the menu. I am a vegetarian and it was nice to see that I had quite a range to choose from. The meals were delicious. The service was a little slow and not particularly friendly but the atmosphere of the place made up for that. We had an enjoyable meal and would visit again

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Blues79
“Best pizza on Lygon St”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I'm a local resident and don't normally eat on Lygon St, but if im craving pizza, Café Cavallino is the best pizza on the strip.
Gino and his family are wonderful hosts and his staff are pleasant and polite......always go there for pizza

Visited April 2013
“Great pasta”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my pasta immensely as did the other 2 friends I was with who ordered pasta. I had a pumpkin filled pasta with red sauce, which was simple, yet tasty and delicious. The garlic bread and side salad complimented my meal well and the bottle of house wine we ordered was not too bad either.

We chose the restaurant on the basis of it being busy, so hoping that meant something and we were not disappointed. Service was friendly too.

Sydney, Australia
“Great Italian food, great atmosphere!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We ate here recently on a very busy & balmy night & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Service was a little slow on such a busy night, but it didn't really matter as there was much to look at from the outside tables & we were in no hurry. I chose homemade Agnolotti Don Vitto (pumkin & ricotta cheese) which was absolutely delicious. For dessert I chose gelati which was a bit disappointing as it was quite icy & included a couple of large pieces of ice.

• Visited January 2013