“The best Italian on Lygon Street”
Review of Cafe Cavallino

Cafe Cavallino
Ranked #768 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Lygon Street
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I dined at Cavallino with a party of 5. The food, ambience and service was top class. We sat outside (the slightly longer wait was worthwhile) and experienced an authentic Italian meal - on par with the best that I've had in Rome. the waiter was most helpful with the selection of the pasta and wine to match the dishes that we were ordering. We will def be back here on our next visit to Melb.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been to this Restaurant/Cafe twice within a few years and both times I have had a lovely meal. Its quite a big p;lace, has extensive inside dining and outside, also up the street a little on the left they have another outdoor seating area, The service is good and food is nice with prices to match. Well worth a visit even if its ton just sit inside, have a few drinks and check out all the Ferrari's that line the walls.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We walked up and down Lygon Street and checked out lots of places, some were offering incentives to eat there. Lots of people eating both inside and outside on the footpath. Service was great and the food was lovely and so much of it. Nobody rushed us and the meal was served in a reasonable time frame. Enjoyed the experience and the food.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I had a lovely meal at this popular Italian restaurant in Lygon St, an area very well served by Italian restaurants. We both had great homemade pasta parcels with traditional sauces. The ambience was lovely sitting out in the street under the patio heaters.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Went to Cafe Cavallino after being recommended by numerous friends. Ordered a lasagne (which is huge) but tasted pretty bland and had a number of large inedible burnt pasta sections. I would have given this a lower rating but the other dinners at the table seemed to be of a very high quality.

Also had to ask three times for our beverages which edventually came half way through the main course (that we had ordered at the start).

Atmosphere here is very good. Sat outside under a heater and Lygon street is always very busy and bustling.

I would not visit it again but do feel that I potentially got it at a 'bad' day due to the other dinners at the table being much better than my one.