“Ooh la la! Great steak!”

A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro
Ranked #128 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chapel Street
Description: A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro is where you will experience true French Hospitality. When the French back home gets together with friends and family to prepare a meal, when all the chopping, mixing and baking and cooking is done! the cook call out "A La Bouffe" Let's Eat, and everyone sits down to enjoy their home cooked meal. That is what you will experience at A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro - an informal, friendly and delicious experience. No pretensions, just good friendly service and delicious food.
Melbourne
“Ooh la la! Great steak!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stumbled across this restaurant accidentally recently. The menu is quite varied, but also quite expensive which is the downside to this place.
I had the steak which was lovely with pommes frites and salad. I really thought the service was attentive and overall a great experience was had.

• Visited June 2013
16 Thank SusannahPK

melbourne
“HOME TOWN”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I recently took my wife to A La Bouffe for a night away from the kids, phew! We were sat up stairs as the place was full of diners.
The service was quick, smart and informative. We were given the specials and our wine arrived as quickly as it was ordered. Not easy to do when the place is full.
The menu is extensive and caters for all tastes. We both enjoyed our meals immensely and would recommend it as one of the finest in the area.
Faultless service and amazing food. Delicious!

• Visited May 2013
16 Thank richard b
Noosa, Australia
“Not so good on second visit”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We enjoyed this restaurant on our last visit to Melbourne and were keen to return. Unfortunately this visit painted a different picture. Our last visit was midweek on a quiet night. Saturday night proved to be very different. We were seated upstairs and seemed to be forgotten.The service was slow and haphazard. Pork belly for entree was so tough that it couldn't be cut with a knife. The waiters response was " that is the French way" I don't think so, unless the French way is unedible. Main course steak was cold and disappointing.
We were going to bring a group of friends on a Saturday night, but now have no confidence.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank 00BCK
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Really Great”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Had a long dinner with a good mate - great wine list, very good food. Service and atmosphere spot on. Less pretentious than Francois - a really good french option in Sth Yarra.

Visited May 2013
11 Thank StuckinBangers
Narre Warren, Australia
“Magnificent.....”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Fantastic service, great setting, pleasant ambience, easy booking procedure and a great menu and wine list. I don't think I've been as full as I was when I left A La Bouffe...all my own greediness. We just couldn't resist sweets....Recommend the tasting platter for entree (onion tart to die for). I had duck for main and never order duck normally- this was delicious. Partner had steak and pomme frites which he raved about. Mousse au chocolat and creme brûlée a l'orange and Cointreau finished us off. A really memorable evening and we will be back!

• Visited April 2013