“New No.1 French in Melbourne”

A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro
Ranked #140 of 4,151 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chapel Street
Description: A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro is where you will experience true French Hospitality. When the French back home gets together with friends and family to prepare a meal, when all the chopping, mixing and baking and cooking is done! the cook call out "A La Bouffe" Let's Eat, and everyone sits down to enjoy their home cooked meal. That is what you will experience at A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro - an informal, friendly and delicious experience. No pretensions, just good friendly service and delicious food.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A restaurant that prides itself on exceptional service and a menu that would tempt any persons taste buds! Amazing, Amazing, Amazing! Did I mention it was reasonably priced as well.. an all round winner!

19  Thank sammig18
There are newer reviews for A La Bouffe Bar & Bistro

Reviewed February 19, 2013

We dined here for my birthday on a Tuesday night. Restaurant almost empty we were seated at a table that had hard uncomfortable seats and almost in a passageway. Refused to reseat us even though lots of other tables available and already nearly 9pm. Amusee bouche was cold and unappetizing. Food average. General feeling that the staff just wanted us gone so they could leave. Poor experience.

1  Thank Egb3
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I wrote a negative review after a not so good dinning experience. Two days a later the chef and owner called me to apologise and offered us a free dinner with wine. This is the first time in my life that the restaurant owner has taken his customers so seriously. We went back and the service was excellent and the food was better than what we expected. He was true to his word and everything was on the house. It was a good experience. Truly, a well respected French restaurant. Congratulation. Cheers.

17  Thank Neil0701
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We ate here on a Tuesday evening. We caught the number 8 tram from Swanston Street in Melbourne so it is easily accessible from the city. The ambience of the restaurant is quite nice - I think it feels quite French. The service was okay, and the food - for what we had - was good but not outstanding.

I wasn't particularly hungry so I didn't have a main meal, just an entree (appetiser), - the seafood millefeuille - and my husband had the beef provencale. The beef was served with mashed potatoes and no other vegetables. We had a small glass of house wine each and we shared a dessert. The bill was $90 which I thought was not great value for this type of restaurant for such a small amount of food. There would have been better value if the main meal had been served with veges and the wine serving was a bit more generous. Overall I would recommend a visit - the menu is on the internet so you can see what you are getting in terms of meals and the menu seems quite comprehensive.

10  Thank dulcieb
Reviewed January 19, 2013

In Melbourne we have a few very good French bistro...and this one is up there with the best of them. The decor is subtle and elegant, and there is plenty of space between tables. The service is quite adequate, not a hint of snobbery, and not unduly "in your space". The pissalidiere of onion was tasty (on puff pastry though), and included good Australian semi dried tomatoes for a flavour boost, and a garnish of rocket. Others had mussels, bisque and onion soup. All looked great and consensus was - yes all excellent. Rabbit was the choice for the boys. They were a little nervous about a mustard based sauce, and it was unusally served with basmati rice, but looked and smelled excellent and there was none left at the end. Basque chicken with pesto mash was a hit and I had a really excellent fillet bearnaise. The sides were excellent - the best frites!! Crispy and salty - perfect. Fromages were good, a good soft goats cheese, a really good blue and a not so good camembert. There is a really nice wine list as well. Altogether a great night out.

14  Thank Samiseal