“Best Cocktails ”

Ranked #178 of 4,221 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: 1806 is the most unique, full service, cocktail bar in Melbourne CBD. Located at 169 Exhibition St, it is an experience like no other in the city.
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

1806 is my favourite cocktail bar in Melbourne CBD and whenever we are staying in the city, we always have go and have a couple of cocktails. Fantastic cocktails, excellent service, friendly staff.

1  Thank Davisy1980

Reviewed June 28, 2014

This place could so easily be pretentious like some 'too cool' bars in the Melbourne CBD...but it's not like those places. Warm atmosphere, top-quality cocktails (made with great precision) and super-friendly service balances this place out superbly. We sat at the bar this time but looking forward to the chesterfields in our next visit. Highly highly recommend 1806!

1  Thank arti k
Reviewed June 8, 2014

After an excellent meal at a fine restaurant in China town we decided to indulge in cocktail or 2 at this establishment, very easy and convenient to China town i think a 50 meter walk.
Upon entry there were a few couples waiting to be seated, this is were the delays began, I think we waited 10 minutes for a seat which is fine, however after we were seated it took another 30 minutes for our drinks to be served, not getting drunk in this bar. The price was fair as far as cocktail bars go approx $19.00 for a Cosmopolitan, the interior design of the bar was very nice especially the Toilet door well worth a look. After our long wait for our first drink we were happy to settle the account and retire to our hotel.

2  Thank Peter R
Cocktails1806, Manager at 1806, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Hi Peter,

We were very sorry to hear about your experience with us over the long weekend. The service you received was not up to our usual standard and we apologies for the delays you experienced within our venue.

At our busiest, there can be some unavoidable delays when trying to find patrons a seat as we are a fully table service venue with limited capacity, however, a 30 minute wait on drinks is unusual and unacceptable. We will be looking into our standard of service over the weekend to ensure that this does not happen again.

We hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future and we will do our utmost to ensure that you have a more enjoyable experience.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

We were very lucky to get a fable late on Friday night. This place is awesome - offering delicious cocktails (I believe the mixologist said 60 cocktails) listed chronologically over 200 years. Service was outstanding and friendly. Cocktails were not cheap but the service and ambience meant they were worth every cent. Unfortunately we couldn't get in the next night but we were keen to return. Will definitely try again next time I visit Melbourne.

1  Thank Feebs_1
Reviewed April 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I stumbled across 1806 on our way back to our hotel on Saturday night.

The atmosphere is incredible - it's without a doubt one of the most relaxed and unpretentious cocktail bars that I have ever been into. Even though we were seated at the bar for the entire night (we ended up staying for about 5 hours), we were very comfortable.

The staff are fantastic! We were served by a lovely guy who was very friendly and informative, and he helped us to make some great choices from the ridiculously extensive cocktail menu. The guys and girls making the cocktails were lovely too. Also mesmerising to watch - I could have easily sat there all night watching them make the drinks. They're a very talented bunch, and it's really refreshing to see people that are clearly passionate about what they do!

We had eaten dinner before we went in, so didn't sample any of the food, but the menu looked good (I'll hold out for the baked camembert next time). The cocktails however... YUMMY. We ended up having 5 each, and they were all absolutely delicious (one of the best Mojitos I've ever had...). I loved Aviation - it tasted like parma violets and was beautifully made. Watching the Blue Blazer being made was by far one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

All in all, an amazing experience. It's pricey but worth it and we will definitely be coming back.