“very nice view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #67 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Southland Region, New Zealand
“very nice view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here when i first moved to australia from nz had a 2 bedroom apartment, it was up high and we had a awsome view of melbourne. I had booked and payed online it was $150au very cheap i thought for a very flash hotel but when i went to check in they asked for creditcard and charged another 300 bucks on it which i was told it would be refunded but it never was other then that very nice and well presented

Room Tip: ask for a room on top floors with view over melbourne
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Fortrose, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Having read some of the other reviews (after I had booked the place) it was with some trepidation that we arrived at the Mint. However, can I say that since we arrived last Thursday until present we couldn't have stayed in a more friendly and comfortable wee hotel. It is right on the tram route to the city centre, it is close to Albert Park and it is close to St Kilda beach - contrary to some of the reviews, we have found all of the staff exceptionally helpful, pleasant and accommodating - nothing is any bother to them. The rooms are just fine - comfortable and practical and the décor throughout is contemporary and pleasing. The Bakini Restaurant attached to the hotel is first class - would have no problem recommending the Mint to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gold Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Whilst only staying one night, not getting to see the whole hotel (parking, gym etc)... I thought for my partner and I travelling for a personal sporting event it was great for one night. Clean room, very modern.. got the top floor studio room for only $135! Not bad considering how close the hotel is to the CBD. Not much noise, great TV, room service company was slow! My partner groaned for an hour waiting for our food! Bed rolled in to the middle. Two beds together is NOT a king... But they tend to do this everywhere! Restaurant reasonably priced and great food/drink. $200 security bond not noted when booked online so that was annoying. Otherwise staff were nice and great stay for just one night. Would come again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank helloeveryone1234
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at Mint St Kilda Road as it looked decent given the photos and overall reviews. Was sorely disappointed at the room (there was a giant moth as well which flew around alot of the night and in the bathroom). The bedding was coarse and uncomfortable which was really disappointing given how it looked otherwise.

Location was alright, carpark was included and not very far from the CBD. Service and reception was also okay - no complaints. For the price, I guess it would be good value (given it was Australia Open), would consider before staying here again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bruce M, General Manager at Mantra St Kilda Road, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all can I apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay with us over the Australian Open.

I am disappointed to hear that the bedding was course and uncomfortable, as this is not the usual feedback we get from our beds. I would appreciate it very much if you could contact me directly so that I can follow up with this specific room.

In reference to the moth, I wish you had contacted us to remove it from your room. Given all of our rooms have balconies it is sometimes a little hard to prevent flying insects from coming inside but we will always act to remove if we are alerted to anything.

Please feel free to contact me directly, as I am very much committed to changing your opinion of us.

Yours sincerely
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

My first impression of the hotel was pleasing - thats where it ended.

Then the recptionist was very rude and unpleasant and not helpful at all - i ignored that assuming she was having a bad day.

When i got to the room i thought the decor was great and the feel was very welcoming. When me and my partner got into bed we realised it was two single beds, again we ignored this joke - even though when booking the accomodation it stated Queen/King.

We woke up with strains in our back as it continued to dip towards the centre.

Upon checking out we were advised that we owed money for a movie - the cost is only $18 and the money was not the issue but we didnt watch a movie and that was the point - again your front end staff/reception was a rude incompetent, illeterate and ignorant individual who was not even willing to listen - in disgust i just walked away as i felt my time was more valueable then $18.

Overall i was disgusted in the staff, the service and overall what the MINT has to offer - i rather stay at a backpackers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adam H
Dear Guest

First of all, I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you may have encountered on our recent stay with us. As you have already contacted me directly with your concerns, and have responded, I will keep my response as brief as possible.

In regard to the bed, the room supplied is fitted with what is called a “king split”. It is a king bed that has the capacity to be unzipped to make 2 x king singles should that be requested by our guests. This type of bed is used widely throughout our industry and I rarely get any negative feedback on them. I have checked the bed in your particular room and have found nothing abnormal as to cause any discomfort. As is the standard practice in our Property, a quick call to our Reception team with your dissatisfaction would have resulted in you being immediately moved to a room where you would have felt more comfortable.

Your comments about the movie system are still being investigated given the movie’s need to be confirmed several times via the remote control system prior to any billing taking place. All of the timings match to when you occupied the room. I am advised by the staff on duty that they were not given an opportunity to explain this process or even offer to compensate you prior to you departing.

With your comments regarding the reception staff, I have spoken to our team concerned with your arrival and departure, viewed CCTV footage of your time at the Reception desk and referred to our shift logs and your version of events differ greatly from what I have seen and been advised. Your references to any of our team being illiterate, rude, incompetent or ignorant are disappointing given the situation that actually transpired during your time with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

First time stayed here after using others in same area. Good tram access to city or StKilda. was lucky to get a room upgrade which gave me sweeping views of Albert Park and over the bay with glimpses of the city. Rooms were good size with desk for work. Kitchen facilities (although not used) we good with oven, microwave, dishwasher and full size fridge. Fit out is fresh and modern. Reception staff were very attentive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Wodonga, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed here a second time, wish I hadn't. Had to hike round the Saint Kilda Road tram works to get there. My last stay was great, a few issues with noise but OK. This time asked for a room on the front to avoid noisy car park, was given a room two doors down from the one I had previously, same outlook. Room above was noisy, woken at 2am by what sounded like stampeding elephants, noisy people out on the balcony flicking cigarette butts over the edge. So loud even the TV couldn't drown it out. Kept going despite the call to the front desk till 5am. Had to get up a 6, sorely tempted to go upstairs and bang on the door till I woke them up. On checking out was told sorry, nothing else and no feed back even though I requested it...also got charged for a movie I did not order or watch. Will not be back

Room Tip: Insist on a front room, the car-park at back is a nightmare, cars from 5am, cleaners and deliveries...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrchumleywarner
Bruce M, General Manager at Mantra St Kilda Road, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all, can I thank you for taking the time in bringing your recent stay at Mint Melbourne to our attention, and sincerely apologise for the disruption you experienced in regard to your booking with us.

I am extremely keen to try and get to the bottom of the issues you have raised, so ask you to please contact me directly and allow us the opportunity to conduct a full investigation into the matter. It is only through genuine feedback such as yours we are able to improve on our overall customer service experience.

Again, can I sincerely apologise the inconvenience you experienced on this occasion. Please afford us the chance to try and resolve this matter for you and hopefully get another opportunity to try and change your opinion of us.

I very much look forward to hopefully welcoming you back personally, to MINT Melbourne.

bmcaleer@staymint.com