“Great lunch at the NGV”

Persimmon
Ranked #741 of 4,060 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Australian, International, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southbank
Melbourne, Australia
“Great lunch at the NGV”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We had lunch (after enjoying the Napoleon Exhibition at the NGV) at this lovely restaurant at the NGV. We had the 2 course lunch with a glass of wine for $40. Service was good, friendly and fast. Food was excellent and well presented.Today the menu was all French -- may be inline with the Napoleon theme! A great place to take friends for lunch at Melbourne CBD.

• Visited September 2012

Tas
“Much nicer than your average - particularly for high tea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

Wonderful welcome, good service & great choice of teas. The hot chocolate was an individual size pouring jug with two mugs full. The iced chocolate was not overly sweet. Only disappointments were that even though the cafe is open @ 10am - there is no breakfast style dish served. Also the juice was the bottle type but nicer than the average.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank TasNet
Australia
“Tranquil excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We also loved the Napolean exhibit. It took a while so had prebooked Persimmon thankfully and even though we were late we had a lovely table next to lake.

We shared the seafood tasting platter and Morton bay bugs. Four adults with big appetites very pleased with the selections, very tasty

Next daughter and I had the snails which was a little overlooked for our taste. We loved the vegetables and was delightfully presented

Men chose the steak, partner prefers medium the old Aussie way, now he has to order medium to well done, it came blood dripping on plate so was sent back, son ordered medium and his came as should be! Next one came back correct, some restuarants just try to recook old one, the chef showed his class, by new one and old one came back for others to share.

We were so full and had to travel for a couple of hours so left without desert or coffee

We all agreed that we enjoyed the meal and vegetables and was presented perfectly.
Our waiter was a delight and so helpful and apologetic with our hic up, we can say it was excellent service. We will go back next exhibition we decided.

• Visited July 2012
SYDNEY
“au de vie ... apres Napoleon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

Being a Francophile meant that a chance visit to Melbourne included an entire morning trawling the" Napoleon: Revolution to Empire" exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria. I am glad I did . The exhibition is one of the best of its kind I've ever seen. Don't miss it.

And apres ! I took the advice of my hostess who Knows All Things Gourmand in Victoria . "Go to the Gallery's restaurant Persimmon afterwards" she said " It has specials every day for around $25 a course, the setting is modern and the restaurant surrounded by one of the best contemporary gardens in the city" Grateful to sit down after such a dazzling couple of hours renewing an old lust for things Napoleonic ( ok, him too) I secured a table at Persimmon with my back to winter sun on a banquette. What a dalliance! My charming young waiter offered me the house Sancerre (how did he know it was my favourite?) I chose from the daily special , one of four offered. "Seared yellow fin tuna tartare, Foie gras and port wine butter, sauce bribiche and toasted ficelle"($25) followed by a superb piece of Vernier Roquefort and a splendid glass of Mornington Pinot Noir. Happiness . The tuna was superb - foire gras I usually only eat in France and like it unadulterated. This version was sweet/sour and just a tad too sweet for me. Offset nicely though by roquefort.

Persimmon has a variety of specials 2 courses for $40 including a glass of wine or a sparkler Plus there are packages with the Napoleon exhibition tickets included $68 for the exhbition, 2 courses and a glass of wine.

The wine menu is terrific and the wines by the glass of grand quality and inexpensive. There is a good kids menu.

I might have to go back .. Melbourne's finest French chefs are cooking at Persimmon whilst Napoleon resides. Jacque Raymond,, Philippe Mouchel, Gerard Fabre Gabriel Gate and Nicolas Poelaert will each run six course degustation dinners with the retaurant's own chef Terry Clark. On until 7 October.

You could take the family for a fabulous history ride through Europe and then lunch. Solo was fabulous.

• Visited June 2012
Melb
“Good food, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

Persimmon is quite nice if you like simple, clean flavours. While the dishes doesn't wow me, the standards are quite high and certainly better than the food in the other galleries I have visited.

I would not hesistate to recommend Persimmon if you are visiting the National Gallery of Victoria.

Please visit my blog if you would like a detailed description of each dish I tried: http://pigouttravels.wordpress.com/2012/06/16/persimmon-movida-bakery-and-burch-purchese/

• Visited June 2012