“Simply fantastic Yum Cha ...”
Review of Shanghai Dynasty

Shanghai Dynasty
Ranked #2,950 of 4,296 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I recently bought a voucher to take my family here for a Sunday Yum Cha, not knowing what to expect. Well let me tell you it was fantastic.

The place is not in the heart of Melbourne's China Town, but worth the extra few steps to get there. It was simply palatial, with gold and marble everywhere! The place was very busy and we were shown to our table very efficiently and the excellent service did not stop there, along with wave after wave of an excellent variety of Chinese delicacies for us to chose from. The Chinese beer (Hamlin?) included in or meal deal was also excellent.

Voucher or not, we will definitely be back and highly recommend it for a great Sunday (or any other day) lunch experience, but I suggest you book first!

1  Thank Dallas N

Reviewed April 8, 2013

On our visit to Melbourne, my husband and I went to Chinatown, we didn't know where to eat and I was googling. The cheap and cheerful's were too busy for us with people waiting outside, couldn't be bothered with that, so we just stumbled across the Shanghai Dynasty. Wow, what a lovely surprise, the whole restaurant was gorgeous with lots of marble and beautiful pieces of furniture. The service was amazing, the staff were so attentive and beautiful, they said that it had been opened for 2 years, The food was scrumptious and presentation terrific, it did cost abit more than we usually pay but well worth it.

1  Thank l0veh0lidays2
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We used a coupon deal for fantastic Sunday lunch of all you can eat yum cha.
Upon entering the venue you feel like you have been transported into a different world.
It’s absolutely beautiful with the gold finishing’s in the bathrooms to the chairs in the dining areas.
We were treated the same as any other patron the when using the coupon.
The trolley came around so many times we were able to get as many things as we wanted. The staff where really nice came around and got a new drink/tea for everyone before it was empty.
The only down side I can say is that at times when asking the staff what they had on the trolley it was difficult to understand them and at times they couldn’t tell us in English what it was.
Apart from that it was absolutely fantastic and will definitely go back.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Purchased Living Social vouchers for this place, without ever having heard of it before. After reading some of the bad reviews on here we felt like not going. However this wonderful restaurant was exactly the opposite of what we read. The service was fantastic, the food was fresh and plentiful and the drinks kept flowing. The group of us left feeling fully satisfied and felt that $79 for two people was excellent value for money. We all ageed we would all go back again.

1  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed March 22, 2013

This morning we went to this restaurant not only to entertain our overseas friends but at the same time wanted my elderly in laws to see if this place is good to throw a wedding for 150 guests. I was told we did not have the booking on their book and wanted me to go in and have a look myself if my friends had turned up. I asked if they saw an elderly couple walked in, the older manager with glasses and the woman at the front (in her 40s) rudely told me if I can see them how could they. Apparently when my in laws walked in they were told the same. You would have thought that they would have invited them to sit at the lounge while waiting after all they are in their 80s not to turn them away. Once confirmed we did have the booking, the rude lady at the front was so reluctantly walked us in. She did not give the instruction to the waiter which table we should sit. First they gave us a huge table for 12 then told the wrong table. We then moved to the next table, again told it was a wrong table , so we moved to the next and back to the second. After we sat down we were asked if we booked for a pram's space because the table is for 8 people!! The older manager with the glasses scolded the waitress who showed us the table if she is putting us the right table cause tables are for reserved. Yes we haved booked I repeated. Unlike other yum cha places, the staff will introduce you the food but this one they said once and moved away. There is not a smile on the waiters or waitresses faces. Such a posh restaurant there is no place to change the baby diapers. We had to make do with the little space between the sink and edge of the bench. When we finished our lunch and paid, of course no tips and not even bother to ask if they cater for wedding function. We walked out and the lady at the font no word of thanks or come again, still in her fuming mood.

it is a beautiful place to entertain but the poor service you would think twice. The food is pretty average. Nothing beats like having friendly welcoming service. If you are the owner of this place, please retrain your staff especially the lady at the front. She holds the most important role. Give your waiters and waitresses a warm place to work in.

1  Thank Helen57Australia