“Great food, drinks and service!”

Maya Tequila Bar & Grill
Ranked #3,296 of 4,365 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are rustic, charming and just like that holiday you always want to have but run out of time. Pop in and forget Melbourne for a moment. Our wait staff mostly have a Latin background and will enthusiastically promote the best from 'their' part of the world! Come enjoy our authentic Mexican courtyard, discreetly hidden out back! The food is fresh and tasty, playing with Mexican flavours providing value for money. Fun is what you get at Maya, and lets be fair, fun is why you drink TEQUILA! Our Dinner Menu includes many favourites but with a twist, with the help of local tortilleria El Cielo, authentic Mexican flavours will be ensured. Try the street snacks, 'Antojitos' for something creative that will compliment your drink, or eat many. That's the idea! Our food is designed to share, however if you feel like going solo, and perhaps rising to the claim 'the best Burritos' in town, well please be the judge! We cater easily to the growing needs of gluten intolerant, our tortillas used for the tacos and set menu are gluten free, made only from corn flour. There also many options across the well thought out menu, please ask our waiters who will be more than happy to help.
Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

We visited last night with friends and used a Living Social voucher. For 6 courses at $67 for 4 people it was excellent value.

We enjoyed and were impressed with each dish:

Guacamole and corn chips - the guacamole was fresh, authentic and tasty.
Prawn Popcorn - one of the highlights. It was so different to anything else you might see on a mexican menu, but oh so tasty! The salsa at the bottom of the glass really added to the flavour and was delicious.
Lamb Ribs - only criticism was they were a bit fatty, but flavour was to die for and the meat just fell off the bone.
Chicken Burritos - very different to your standard Tex Mex burrito. Maya is more authentic mexican, and the dishes are not as fatty as somewhere like Taco Bill. None of the dishes were drenched in cheese or oil which was great to see. At first we were all a bit undecided about the burrito as it was filled with rice also and lots of different ingredients, but we all decided it was a refreshing change.
Vegetarian Salad - this was a real highlight, and so much more interesting and tasty than your standard salad! Filled with quinoa, oranges, cauliflower, broccoli, tomato salsa and even corn chips it sounds like such a bizarre mix, but was so tasty! Even the 2 males loved it and gobbled it up.
Chilli Choc Mousse - needless to say, had a real kick to it! Tasty, but not sure if I would order again. I love spice and chilli, but not sure I love it so much with dessert. It was almost a little too much spice in it which detracted from the dessert a bit - might help if the chilli was a bit more subtle. But definitely still worth a try and certainly not terrible - that's just my opinion.

With the voucher, all dishes come out to be shared between 2 and on first glance look like small serves for 2 people, but by the end we were really full and couldn't have eaten any more.

The service was great. Very fast service with friendly, efficient staff.

The pitcher of lime and coconut margarita really packed some punch - they are very generous with the tequila! As were the glasses of Vanilla margarita. We also had a pitcher of Sangria but didn't really enjoy it - tasted very different to other sangrias we have tried. Was a bit too watered down and had a strong tomato flavour.

But all in all was a fantastic night and we will definitely be back!

Reviewed August 25, 2014

We had a voucher type deal from Groupon. And checked previous reviews before coming in as I don't like wasting my time coming to places with bad reviews. Service was excellent! We were seated promptly and had our yummy margaritas. The tacos were excellent. We ordered burritos and quesadillas as well and they were all tasty! The margaritas were so good we ordered a pitcher and the bartender was kind enough to make a sweet raspberry margarita too. We had a good time and even stayed up until closing but the servers didn't rush us to leave. We will definitely come back. Thanks To the staff of Maya for a good weekend night!

Reviewed August 23, 2014

Bought a voucher off travelzoo a few weeks back and was sadly disappointed by the experience. With the voucher we got all you can eat tacos and a free margarita. We were seated straight away and promptly brought our margaritas which were great. And ordered our first round of tacos. They came within minutes and were pretty much cold. The tacos were also pretty bland, the meat lacking any real flavour, the coriander being the most tasteful item in the taco. When we requested the second round of tacos we mentioned that they had been cold, and this time they took a little longer. when the next round came out they were still only luke warm so i don't know what was going on with them. The fish taco this time was a lot tastier than the beef i had and the chicken my girlfriend had, previously. All the tacos continued to come out in this luke warm state, after disappointment with all the other flavours I decided to stick to the fish but only had a few more.

Thankfully this was only a voucher I had bought otherwise I would of been a lot more disgruntled by this place.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We purchased a voucher type deal without much research, what transpired was a very memorable experience. The food was fresh, zingy, lively and a really good combination. These guys know how to cook very good food. The combinations of fruit with certain proteins was new to us, accompanied by really good cocktail and mocktail menu, this joint is kicking goals. The staff are very attentive and friendly, I can't wait to return.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

As you can probably guess from my review title, I purchased a voucher from TravelZoo for Maya Tequila Bar & Grill and I was excited to try the restaurant with my 3 friends. Service was prompt and the 8-dishes flowed out and were timed nicely. What was even better than the friendly service was the delicious food! Each dish was very flavoursome and everyone in my group enjoyed it very much. My only one criticism (and there is only one!) is that the Wagyu steak tortillas were only just warm. As it was a wintery, cold night in Melbourne, it would have gone down that little bit better if it had been steaming hot! It is a very small criticism though and as previously mentioned everything was very tasty and enjoyable. Serving sizes were also substantial and we all left feeling full. Oh and the cocktails were delish too! Definitely recommend as a cool place to check out for dinner; I know I'll definitely be visiting again!