Open today: 6:30 AM - 10:30 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Gray Line Melbourne tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Gray Line Melbourne
from $139.51
from $73.81
from $192.19
from $120.84
More Info
All reviews puffing billy penguin parade phillip island sovereign hill day tour coach driver great ocean road grayline tours billy tea city tour steam train koala conservation centre federation square excellent driver healesville sanctuary river cruise great tour
Reviewed December 17, 2012

The booklet that catalogues Gray Line's tours is misleading. Don't bother. I booked 2 tours, Heallesville Sanctuary and the Great ocean road. I wished I had booked just one tour and gone to experience it before booking the second. Book with a smaller organizer or bus instead. They are more flexible.

1  Thank MFKady
Kelly D, Manager at Gray Line Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you for your comments on our brochure and tours to Healesville Sanctuary and Great Ocean Road from Melbourne. We are of course very disappointed to read you believe we are misleading you. That is certainly not our intention. We feel our brochure is a very accurate description of what you will see and where you will visit on our tours.

The success of our business is determined by the enjoyment of all our passengers on all our tours, and as such at Gray Line, we regard your comments with the highest importance. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you. If you wish, please don't hesitate to contact me at your earliest convenience on +61 1300 85 86 87 or reservations@grayline.com.au.

Kelly
Gray Line Melbourne

Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We took the Great Ocean Road day trip for $99 pp. The road itself was amazingly beautiful. But the guide was boring and spoke with a drawl that put most of us to sleep (He constantly joked about it too). He didn't try to blend the group or chitchat with everyone. There was also limited time to sit in anyone place! The sights were really pretty. For those looking for vegetarian food, the pizzeria at Apollo Bay Area has good options for a full lunch. The movie was old and based on the real life of Loch Ard from England. Overall a tiring beautiful day but maybe a better experience with another tour group!

Kelly D, Manager at Gray Line Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

Thank you for your review Regular Traveller Girl. The Great Ocean Road is truly spectacular.

It is important for us to hear feedback from our customers - both good and bad - so we can continue to fine tune and/or review how we are going.

In light of this, I would greatly appreciate it if you can email me the name of the Coach captain you had for your Great Ocean Road Tour, if you can remember, so that we can train and coach him further.

Gray Line prides itself in quality staff and we spend a lot of time training and helping our team members keep improving themselves.

You can email me at reservations@grayline.com.au. Thanks in advance.
Kind regards Kelly

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I took the Penguin Parade Tour with Gray Line during a recent visit to Melbourne. This is the tour that takes your straight to the Penguins, no stops at wildlife parks or other tourists traps here. You get picked up at your hotel in the late afternoon (the times vary throughout the year depending on when the sun sets) before the 90 minute-two hour drive to Phillip's Island. There are a couple of options for this half day tour. I took the more expensive Skybox option which starts off with a nice lecture from our guide about the penguins (the Little Penguins as this species is called, is the only penguin that's blue in color) as well as some snacks. We then head out to the boardwalks to view the penguins swimming ashore through binoculars provided by our guide. Once the sun was gone and night prevails, we took walks along the boardwalk to see lots of penguins (and I mean lots, like in the hundreds) walk up the sand dunes to their burrows. Keep in mind that you cant take pictures of the penguins, flash scares them. About the only drawback about this tour is that no meals are included, the fast food at the headquarters are overpriced and I was pressed for time when I was through seeing the penguins. One last thing, when there's still light out, be on the lookout for wallabies in the hills.

Date of experience: October 2012
Kelly D, Manager at Gray Line Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

We are delighted to hear your enjoyed your Penguin Express Tour! Your description of the tour is spot on and we do agree, the Skybox premium option is really great. The Little Penguins are truly remarkable creatures and we love selling tours to see them.

We have taken your feedback on board about a meal not being included and will keep this in mind when reviewing our Penguin Parade options.

Thank you once again and we hope you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday to Victoria and the rest of Australia!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went on the day trip to Mt Buller ski resort on 31st of July 2012.
It was a great experience for me because it was the first time i had ever seen snow, we even had a little snow shower at the end of a mostly sunny day to top it off for me!
Darryl our driver was great, he was very informative and funny as well, it made the trip more enjoyable for me as i traveled alone so his info and character was good. Even after 14 or so hours of work Darryl literally went out of his way to make some passengers happy, i know if it was me i wouldn't of been so obliging at the end of a long day! Good work.
Next time i go i think i will stay for more than one day as it is hard to fit everything in on the 1 day.
I wont hesitate to use Grayline again next time i go on a tour as the bus was very clean and comfy, hopefully i get Darryl again next time in Melbourne to :)

Date of experience: July 2012
4  Thank Jaymie W
GrayLineAus, Assistant to Sales & Marketing Manager at Gray Line Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Hi Jaymie,

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback from your Mt Buller tour recently. We have passed your feedback (both this one and the one sent to us directly) to Darryl. We're delighted that you enjoyed your tour with us and are able to share your experiences. We look forward to seeing you and/or your family and friends in the future on our tours.

Chantelle
Gray Line

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I went on a Morning Puffing Billy with Blue Dandenongs tour with Grayline during my recent visit to Melbourne.

What i was expecting from this tour was doing the sights visiting on the good old steam train, I was wrong. The experience on the puffing billy steam train covered only a small bit of the morning tour - 30mins. I realized I wasn't the only one felt misled by the tour's headline & content after having a short chat with an Australian couple (at the breakfast table). And, having the morning tea did not happen on the stream train as well.

Nevertheless, the tour was a good get away from the city minus my high expectation. The coach was spacious and clean. I am thankful I DID not sign up the full day trip, as this is just an average tour. I am writing because I believe many like me who went on this trip felt misled too. Those who are going, please, go and lower your expectation!

Date of experience: August 2012
GrayLineAus, Assistant to Sales & Marketing Manager at Gray Line Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hi Hellohan,

Thank you for your feedback on our Puffing Billy and Dandenongs Tour. Our half day Puffing Billy Tour allows visitors to be taken by luxury coach to experience the historic steam train ride whilst still having the opportunity to take up other activities later in their day, whether back in Melbourne or by visiting other popular attractions we offer such as the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island, Healesville Sanctuary or exploring the Yarra Valley Wineries; creating this tour into potentially a full day of activities. Our Devonshire Tea at Grants on Sherbrooke, set in the picturesque surroundings of the forest is one of the most popular parts of this tour, and allows for the special opportunity to hand feed the colourful Rosellas and King Parrots. We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip in Melbourne.

Chantelle