“Just lovely for a special birthday lunch”

The French Brasserie
Ranked #13 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Instantly welcoming the French Brasserie offers a relaxing sanctuary at the top end of town. Soaring ceilings and vast glass expanses achieve a chic contemporary atmosphere while friendly attentive staff anticipate your every need. Open for lunch Monday - Friday and dinner Monday - Saturday it continues to exceed the expectations of its guests who can choose to sit upstairs in the mezzanine area, inside at intimate tables or relax outside on the terrace. Express Lunch - Mon-Fri - 2 courses with a beverage $35ppPre-Theatre Menu - Tues-Sat - 2 courses with a beverage $39.50pp(Condtions Apply - Must order before 7.pm - Seating Time - 6.00pm-8.00pm)
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My daughter and I wanted a special lunch for my special birthday (oh dear- am I really that old) and we had a wonderful time. The waitress, Aud, was very kind and patient in helping us taste our wine options and it really helped in selecting the best birthday wine. We were able to share snails,scallops and the amazing lamb dish. We had very attentive and happy staff. Marco was totally attuned to our every need. To top it off there appeared a complimentary scoop of icecream with a birthday candle. Can't wait to go again and recommend it highly.

3  Thank DrJanetHall

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We walked out before ordering because the staff were so arrogant and rude to us.

It is clear that if you do not speak French you are not welcome here.

We also noticed that the menu and wine list in the restaurant were significantly smaller and less inspiring that those that appear on the restaurants web site.

They did do us a favour though - after we walked out we found an absolutely brilliant Italian restaurant called Terra Rossa just around the corner where we had a great meal!

6  Thank Street_Smart_Tourist
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I were in the mood for some authentic French food. We were really disappointed. The food is very ordinary, the wine list expensive and the staff just arrogant. We watched one couple walk out before they even ordered because the owner was so rude to them. The waiter was constantly trying to fill up our glasses so he could get us to buy more wine. Melbourne has too many great restaurants and life is too short to waste your time ( and money) at this restaurant.

5  Thank doneitalready
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Like beeawab, I had the pork belly (including a beautiful pork croquette and potato) accompanied by stingy green beans and chips along with a marquis au chocolat for dessert.

Both dishes were beautifully presented, cooked properly and arrived reasonably promptly at lunch where about 20 others were dining.

The French owner was a bit loud but the youngish waitress was very pleasant, although at one stage she served me from the wrong side.

Napery was first class. One of my companions had a glass of cabernet sauvignon which was enjoyed.

The restaurant faces onto a brick wall across the laneway but that does not matter.

Prices were reasonable given the excellent food quality.

1  Thank Victorianlad
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

So it is pretty good food, basic French cuisine, well prepared and served with charm and style. Worth the price? No, I don't think so.

1  Thank Kiwi_Prawn