“Not convinced”

The French Brasserie
Reserve with
The French Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 4,023 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Instantly welcoming the French Brasserie offers a relaxing sanctuary at the top end of town. Soaring ceilings and vast glass expanses achieve a chic contemporary atmosphere while friendly attentive staff anticipate your every need. Open for lunch Monday - Friday and dinner Monday - Saturday it continues to exceed the expectations of its guests who can choose to sit upstairs in the mezzanine area, inside at intimate tables or relax outside on the terrace. Express Lunch - Mon-Fri - 2 courses with a beverage $35ppPre-Theatre Menu - Tues-Sat - 2 courses with a beverage $39.50pp(Condtions Apply - Must order before 7.pm - Seating Time - 6.00pm-8.00pm)
“Not convinced”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I dined here with 3 friends. We had a nice evening, but that was more to do with the company than the establishment. Of the 3 entrees and the 4 mains, half were nice and half were so-so. Really, nothing special at all.
We were almost served a $125 bottle of champagne without being given an option. The maitre'd asked if we'd like to start with champagne. I would have expected a wine list, but he almost poured a bottle of Mums without asking if it was what we wanted. When I questioned this, he responded, what do you expect - they are our sponsors! After a snide comment about us wanting 'sparkling' rather than champagne, we were given the limited wine list.
The ambience was too dark to see what you were eating.
The bill was just on $400 in total. Too much.
The waiter that served us was very good - efficient and friendly.
Mains took a long time to come.
Try somewhere else.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank PJPT

Melbourne, Australia
“A Taste of France at its best”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Like others, I found this restaurant by chance, but it is now firmly on my list of favourites. I ordered the "express lunch" menu ( a choice of two courses and a glass of house wine for $35) and was delighted with my meal. Service was attentive and professional and the bilingual staff were happy to speak French with me when I wanted to practise their language. The restaurant was busy between 1-2 pm, but service was such that one could be back in the office within the hour without feeling hurried, if need be. For those with more time, the a la carte menu is full of traditional French favourites. Allow about $36-42 for a main. There is an evening pre-theatre menu at $39 for those ordering by 7 pm, who don't have the luxury of lingering in this delightful environment. Top marks. I'm already planning my return visit.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Jenny M
“Well worth the trip”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I travelled from Sydney to Melbourne and celebrated our anniversary here.
The food and service were both great.
Just like Paris, but the airfare was cheaper.
We don't go to Melbourne that often, but we will definitely come back to The French Brasserie.
Thank you to all the staff for making our evening delightful.

1 Thank GregandWinnie
“Perfect”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We felt we chose the perfect restaurant on a cold Melbourne night. Hearty, beautifully prepared food (outstanding cassoulet), a lovely bottle of Burgundy and excellent service. Could not ask for more.

1 Thank Pierre4823
Brisbane, Australia
“Ooh La La! Exquisite French food and service!”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

While walking past a lane-way on our way to Federation Square my partner and I happened to glance down and see a small sign for "The French Brasserie" about halfway down. Vowing to come back for lunch we returned to one of the most enjoyable meals we've had in Melbourne.

The service was attentive but not intrusive, the sommelier eager to assist, and the food simply to die for. We both could not go past the lovely pork belly, and it was a choice neither of us would regret. Perfectly cooked pork, a generous medley of lentils and brussel sprouts, a pork croquette... it was a porcine delight! Add to that green beans with bacon and we were in heaven.

Accompanied by a lovely glass of Bordeaux and a perfectly prepared tarragon butter, the meal could not have been any better. And this was before ordering dessert!

I had poached pears with apple-ginger sorbet and it was a pleasure for the senses. My partner had Marquise au chocolat and hasn't been able to stop raving about it. Perfectly paired with raspberry, salted caramel ice-cream, and crushed nuts it was a perfectly prepared dessert. We enjoyed this course with coffee which was well prepared.

To finish, we were laughingly presented with glasses of sparkling wine (I didn't think to ask what sort it was, unfortunately) and an admonition to drive safely. Lucky for us we were walking! This strawberried delight was a spectacular way to finish off our meal and we left in high spirits with a pat on the back from whom we can only assume to be the owner / manager.

We've now returned to Brisbane with great anticipation of our next trip to Melbourne where we will be sure to stop in for another unforgettable meal. I highly suggest you do the same.

2 Thank beeawwb