“Not the cruise I was sold tickets for”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of City River Cruises

City River Cruises
Kettering, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not the cruise I was sold tickets for”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This company offers 2 cruises on the Yarra river. One upstream towards Herron Island and one into the city.
I had already done the Herron Island cruise which was pleasant. Commentary on the way etc.
I really wanted to do the river cruise into the CBD of Melbourne. I checked with the ticket office on Friday afternoon. The ticket seller consulted the tides timetable and informed me that the CBD cruise would be 10.30am the next morning. We turned up the next morning 10 minutes before departure time and purchased our tickets having confirmed again that this was the cruise into the city. We boarded and waited for a couple of tour groups to turn up. They were 10 minutes late. The boat departed and we headed upstream to Herron Island. I was not impressed. The deckhand said that in the time that they were waiting to depart, the tide had come in so much that they would not fit under the bridges in the CBD, hence why the cruise was re-routed upstream. Free instant coffee, tea & biscuits were offered.
Upon returning to shore, I did re-visit a disinterested ticket seller to express my disappointment at being mis-sold a ticket for a cruise that I did not want and had already done.
So the moral of this tale is..... If you just want to do any boat trip on the Yarra river, then buy a ticket with City River Cruises and you will get a trip. But if you want to do a specific route, hire your own row boat and go where you want!!
By the way, if you pick up a leaflet for City River Cruises Melbourne, ask for a discount when buying tickets. You should get $5 off per ticket.
So, I still have not got to do a Melbourne CBD cruise.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank TheRobinsonsofKetter

Aus
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Ship wrecked in the Yarra River”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Very very hot day and we took the 2.30 boat. We broke down at Herring Island and spent 1 1/2 hours waiting for a tow. Chris, was magnificent and made sure guests were fed and watered. Got back to Fed Square by 5 - an interesting time had by all I think!!!!!

1 Thank soobooAus
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Food Food Food”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Food my god and what food. if you cant find it here you need a white stick. the smells here make your mouth dribble and the bakery stuff is heart stopping creamy goodness!

Visited February 2012
3 Thank Woodyperth_12
Heide, Germany
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Tourist trap”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

While the ride down the river as such is a nice thing to do, to do it with City River Cruises is a rip off. Why? First of all, they left 10 min late and returned 10 minutes early so the listed 1 to 1 ¼ hour duration was a bad joke and marketing spin in their brochure. I brought this up with the captain when leaving the boat and he just said it was “perfectly fine”! They also advertise commentary but if you are outside in the warm sun enjoying the river you cannot hear it since they spared the loudspeaker outside. Free coffee or tea I could not taste since it was not offered to me most likely because we were sitting outside.
Would I do it again? A cruise down the river as such yes, but not with this tour operator. Those people are just saturated with tourists and do not really deliver a good service. They know you do this once and never come back and that is how you are being treated. That is the feeling we left the boat with and therefore spent the time to write this comment. There are other choices, so you might want to try the competition. However, we chose this one because the comments for another one was bad, too but good luck in trying the others.
And do not trust the "discount with brochure" statement either, it is a joke too, at least for families since the discount is their family price, no matter if you have a brochure or not - cheap, eh?

Visited March 2011
4 Thank Jochen2011
Washington
338 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 391 helpful votes
“Best view to Melbourne city scape on a beautiful warm and sunny day”
Reviewed February 5, 2011

There are many cruise companies that run cruises up and down Yarra River. We picked City River Cruises because of the size and appearance of the boats. They were nicely kept up, and the staff was very courteous.

There are discount coupons to use as well. We selected the cruise through the city towards Docklands vs the sports complex, only because we will be visiting the sports complex for Australian Open Tennis Tournament.

The view is simply spectacular, especially on a warm and sunny day. There are many bridges the boat goes under, some with minimal clearance. Really fun! A nice introduction to the city.

Visited January 2011