“Made my stay in Melbourne so much better!! Highly recommended!”

and 1 more site!
Home at The Mansion
Ranked #52 of 153 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed August 11, 2012

While I was in Melbourne I sayed here, nomads and the nunnery and home @ the mansion was by far the cheapest and the best! Amazing value for money for Australia felt cosy and comfortable just like home! Staff were amazing they were so kind and helpful really made a difference to Our stay! Perfect location walking distance to the city and the cool area of fitzroy! Couldn't ask fOr anythIng better!

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights in July. The room was pretty small, but shared with some nice people and was kept fairly clean. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. There is a really nice big coffee shop right next door for a good breakfast. A few streets away there is lots of restaurants and lots of edgy little cafes and vintage shops. It's also just 5 minutes walk from where both the free tourist tram and free tourist shuttle bus stops, so transport into the city is both quick and easy. And the main tram lines run just outside it as well. I would definitely recommend staying here and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2012

the location is in the city center, just walking distance with all attractions and a friendly staffs..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed there a couple of nights in june, and was really pleased about it.

All the staff that we met where friendly and helpfull.

The hostel was clean, and especially the kitchen was clean troughout the whole day.

The City Circle(free tram) runs more or less outside the door, which is perfect when getting around in the city.

Check out Carlton Gardens and Melbourne Museum, which is just across the road. Normally I don't like museums that much, but used 4-5 hours there without reconizing.

Would always recommend this nice hostel, thats is close to the CBD.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Our choice was based on a no frills budget long week-end (4 Nights) to catch the HAWKS in action; easy location to the MCG and too have a shuttle service from the Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine) deliver us to the door of our chosen accommodation. VHA Airport Shuttle did just that as Home @ The Mansion falls within their service perimeter of Melbourne…

As a mature couple we found our Double Bed Room 10; (share bathroom) on the 3rd floor (no lifts) a bit tight at first to facilitate 1 large piece of luggage; even though there is bench space and an overhanging clothes rail, you’d still have to squeeze into your room when someone is getting dressed behind the door mirror. That aside we totally appreciated the small oil heater, a wall mounted TV in our room, clean bathroom facilities and fresh linens.

For a Hostel we found the kitchen tidy, the fridges cleaned out periodically and the noise level after 11pm adhered to. This curfew particularly appeased my concerns as noise does travel up to the third floor from the TV lounge areas on the ground floor… Traffic noise is one thing, but a party animal house; been there done that… So I guess we were either fortunate or there were no celebrations to be had!? Our team lost anyway, HA!

When it comes to Melbourne City public transport I’m totally biased. I believe the location of Home@ The Mansion would suit a visitor’s need to use public transport; St. Kilda Beach No. 96 and the Free City Circle Tram No.35 with which you can discover many of Melbourne’s amazing attributes.

Smoking is permitted outside in the garden; although the outdoor table setting and chairs we had were sadly neglected being left out in the weather. Further note; as there are no ovens I did do some cooking – Rack of Lamb stove top a la Home @ The Mansion.

Cheers
ANGIE4124

Room Tip: Room 10 is quieter and further away from kitchen, noise and activities... It is on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I have no idea where the positive reviews came from - this hostel was an absolute nightmare. The front desk staff were friendly enough (except when I wanted to leave), and the bathrooms weren't hideous, but that's where anything remotely positive ends. I was in a room of 7 beds and when I got in the room was disgusting. Dirty, smelly, dark, and the other 6 had strewn their crap everywhere. The sheets seemed clean - positive. I found a condom wrapper underneath my bunk - gross. No one was particularly friendly when I tried to talk to people, and the kitchen was jam packed from floor to ceiling with private stocks of food. Clearly this is a long-termers hostel; if you're looking for a night to have a decent place to stay and meet some fellow travelers, save yourself the trauma and go elsewhere. If you still come here, don't say I didn't warn you...

Room Tip: Ground floor is extremely noisy due to being in proximity to the courtyard and kitchen common areas.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jayne D
Martina C, Owner at Home at The Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Hi there,
It is extremely disappointing that you did not enjoy your stay at Home @ The Mansion! There is absolutely no excuse for you to check in to a room that is messy and for this I sincerely apologise. Of course we cannot control guests already in the room making a mess but we do pride ourselves on monitoring the condition of each room and hence all dorm rooms rooms serviced twice daily.
Its a real shame that you felt other guests were not friendly to you. The night you stayed we actually had a trivia night in the hostel. This is why there were a lot of people gathering in the communal areas and our intention in running this night is to bring people together in a fun environment. I'm sorry this was not the case for you.
As one of the owners of the business I take guest reviews and feedback very seriously and have made inquiries with all staff that were on duty during your stay. Its unfortunate that you did not make any of your concerns or issues known to our staff as I have no doubt they would have done everything in their power to turn the experience around for you.
Again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and truly hope that you enjoyed your time in Melbourne regardless.
Kind Regards
Martina Collins

Reviewed May 25, 2012

What a great hostel. Run by backpackers, and nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. It's extremely close to the free tram, and even if you dont hop on the free tram, its only a 10/15min walk from everything. I found it to be a lovely hostel, in a lovely area, in a lovely city. Everything was clean, and the kitchen for a hostel was impeccable. I have since recommended this hostel to others, as I remember at the time of my stay, no one else had a bad word against it either. It also seems to attract a good crowd of people aswell.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo