“Very Good place to stay!”

and 1 more site!
Home at The Mansion
Ranked #53 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We arrived to find an extremely nice welsh man greeting us a the front desk and for that matter all of the staff were very friendly and helpful. They were always on hand to show you where to go and what there was to do.

The hostel itself was very clean and tidy and had a great atmosphere. We stayed in a 4 bed mixed dorm which was clean and comfortable and had a TV.

The downsides were that there was no A/C which was a nightmare in the 40 degree Celsius heat. and the kitchen and it's facilities were not really big enough for the size of the hostel. The wasn't enough fridge space, pans, crockery, or hobs.

All in all though a very good hostel just a few minor adjustments and it would have got a top rating. I would recommend this hostel, we even stayed 4 nights longer than planned.

Room Tip: Good location 1min walk to free city tram.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2012

After staying at two other hostels in Melbourne this place was such a relief to find! The others were overmanned in tiny sunless rooms and filthy kitchens. The mansion has spacious clean rooms and communal areas. Really great staff, super friendly. This is a great place to stay..

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I knew I was going to like this place from the second I checked in. The Welsh guy on reception (sorry forgot your name) was very friendly and helpful and even managed to get me into my room early.

I had asked for a lower bunk because I am visually impaired and this wasn't a problem unlike some other places I had stayed at. The room way very clean and the building is really nice inside. Bathrooms were spotless too. The kitchen could get very busy, and it was difficult to find room in the fridge for my stuff, so maybe another fridge could be a good thing in here. The TV bean bag area below the stairs is a brilliant idea.

All of the staff were only too glad to offer help when I asked, and were fantastic when it came to looking for good places to go.

The location is excellent too. Close enough to the centre of town to walk there, but if you're feeling lazy you can take advantage of the free tram just a few meters from the front door.

I highly recommend that you stay here if you are planning a trip to Melbourne. This is an excellent hostel with great staff. A perfect combination.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms on the ground floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank thejournalist
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here a while ago and had a fantastic time.

Everything about it was great! Dorms were clean. Bathrooms were clean. Kitchen was clean. Everyone was lovely. Good outside area to smoke in and hang out. Kitchen and dining area was a good size. Great hostel.

The hostel arranged nights out that were fun. Also had a free BBQ on Sundays.

Met so many lovely people there and would defo stay again if I could.

Best hostel I stayed in, in Australia!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2011

Good value backpacking accomodation, beds were comfy enough. Major issue I had was the lock on the dorm door didnt really work, you could just open the door by pushing hard, but individual lockers make up for that. Would stay there again, friendly service and suitable facilities. Good value for money

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank evertonbilly
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I thought this was a great place full of friendly staff and in a great location. I was in a private room initially then in a 4 bedded mixed dorm. Toilet and shower facilities were great and the kitchen and fridge space was ample. I didn't welcome the bed bug bites though from sleeping in the mixed dorm which put a huge dampener on my stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank celticabby
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at Home @ the Mansion in May 2011. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm - spacious, enough space for luggage sprawling. The bedding they gave was a duvet cover, pillow cover, and sheet - I particularly liked the duvet cover and knowing they didn't reuse blankets!
It seemed when we were there, there were a lot of long-term live-in's at this hostel - not many staying for a few nights like us. Everyone seemed to have their own group of friends created because they were long-term.
It also seemed that because everyone was long -term, they worked, so the hostel became really quiet at like 11pm!! Great for sleeping, not so great for partying.

The kitchen was small, but you have access to dishes without deposit. I found the kitchen table space to be not enough.

If you have 20kg of luggage - maybe the 3rd floor isnt the best idea! We lugged our luggage up the stairs, which was quite the work out with that big stairwell!
We really liked the outside, there was a bbq for anyone to use and a little courtyard. They also had a taco night when we were there with free tacos for everyone.
There were not many computers (I think 4?) - but they were always available when we went to use them!
The showers/bathrooms on the second floor were a huge perk t this hostel. Your own personal shower room! amazing!
I would stay here again, but I would hope for a more social group of backpackers to be staying at the same time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends