Home at The Mansion
$229
$210
  • Pool
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$192
$104
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$173
$157
  • Breakfast included
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
The Westin Melbourne(Melbourne)
$195
$176
Westin.com
  • Pool
Alto Hotel on Bourke(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$95
$148
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$126
$199
$175
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsbathrooms and showersmelbourne museumno liftplace to staycouple of nightsa great staythe great ocean roadother guestsreception areafirst floorthe ground floorminute walktwo nightsexcellent locationtram stopdormhostel
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at Home @ the Mansion in May 2011. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm - spacious, enough space for luggage sprawling. The bedding they gave was a duvet cover, pillow cover, and sheet - I particularly liked the duvet cover and knowing they didn't reuse blankets!
It seemed when we were there, there were a lot of long-term live-in's at this hostel - not many staying for a few nights like us. Everyone seemed to have their own group of friends created because they were long-term.
It also seemed that because everyone was long -term, they worked, so the hostel became really quiet at like 11pm!! Great for sleeping, not so great for partying.

The kitchen was small, but you have access to dishes without deposit. I found the kitchen table space to be not enough.

If you have 20kg of luggage - maybe the 3rd floor isnt the best idea! We lugged our luggage up the stairs, which was quite the work out with that big stairwell!
We really liked the outside, there was a bbq for anyone to use and a little courtyard. They also had a taco night when we were there with free tacos for everyone.
There were not many computers (I think 4?) - but they were always available when we went to use them!
The showers/bathrooms on the second floor were a huge perk t this hostel. Your own personal shower room! amazing!
I would stay here again, but I would hope for a more social group of backpackers to be staying at the same time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2011

A former Salvation Army training college, Home @ the Mansion offers a great touch of characters in their building. There are some corners beside the staircase where they turned it into a common area for TV and Sony Play Station. We stayed in a 4-bed room dorm and pleasantly surprised to see a locker in our room, a heater and a television. The staffs are really friendly, they greet us every time we walked pass the reception area and we met some nice people during our stay. It's a few steps away from the city circle tram. The Mansion is within the walking distance to Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne Museum, State Parliament House, St Patrick's Cathedral etc.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 1st floor with unisex toilets but I would sneak in the toilet on 2nd floor which is much more spacious. You have your private shower, basin and toilet bowl to yourself :)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I had a torn ankle ligament before my trip so I was hobbling around on a crutch. When I walked in and the guy at the front desk saw me he moved me to a room on the first floor at no extra charge even though I booked the 12 bed dorm on the top floor! So so so nice! The place is really conveniently located, very close to the free city circle tram and the building itself is really cool. I absolutely loved staying here and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I only initially booked for 3 nights at this hostel but after staying here me and my travel buddy wanted to stay longer, sadly due to high level of bookings we had to stay elsewhere until we there was availability. I'm pleased this happened as it gave me a chance to stay at a cheaper but a much worse hostel and made me appreciate this hostel much more!! Hostel is really friendly with helpful staff, good kitchen and communal areas. Bathrooms (particularly on the 3rd floor) are very spacious and have never needed to wait for a shower (unlike other hostels I've stayed in) at whatever time of the day. Hostel is full of character and the themed nights are a bonus. Lockers were installed during my stay which has improved the security of the building and guests belongings. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone looking to stay in Melbourne and in need of a value-for-money hostel!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hayzelbum
Reviewed April 29, 2011

Friendly people, nice place, very quiet, clean, etc

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends