“Don't be frightened off if you are over 40”

The Hardware Societe
Ranked #19 of 4,249 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Had intended to go for breakfast but ended up for lunch instead. Yes you may have to wait and YES it is worth it. And Yes, the crowd is 20 something and mixed ethnicity. Went on the recommendation of my jet-setting corporate son but did not feel out of place and was treated with respect (50 plus female). Food exceptional, service busy but OK - kitchen overloaded at 11.55am and given the hype surrounding the place, should have been better. If you don't fancy a long wait; look along Hardware Lane and choose somewhere else - but NOT somewhere without queues. If it is not popular, it is not good enough to be popular! $20 fixed price lunch with may options.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had Duck Confit and Salmon with Clam Chowder. Both dishes were simply delicious! It was my first meal in Melbourne and the perfect start to my Melbourne experience. The cafe was cute and refreshing in yellow and white tones. Recommended by my friend to try, I would highly recommend Hardware Societe to all my friends too.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Visited Melbourne for a long weekend and had breakfast here every day. I know why there is always a line up. The service is fabulous and the food is amazing. I will definitely be visiting Societe again on my next trip to Melbourne.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

While the thought of lining up to have breakfast seems a bit ridiculous, considering there are countless other options all within 5 minutes, I am glad I took the time.

What looked like a half hour wait was only ten minutes & before I knew it we were sitting at a breakfast bar watching the magic happen. Baked eggs are the trademark here and all looked fantastic. We went for something a bit different, the banana loaf with a bannoffee mouse was delicious as was the granola and breakfast board. Will be trying the baked eggs next time for sure!

Great coffee, awesome service & phenomenal staff in the kitchen, what a team!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Perfect place for all day fun.Lovely people and service and great food. Brioche on wild mushrooms served perfect.

Hard to find a better place this time of day, arrived very early and perfect all the way.Quality of products and food second to non.people talk about great places on tripadvisor, but really,dont comment until you try this place.