“Great food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pop Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Pop Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Canberra, Australia
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We enjoyed three tapas dishes here. Good choices were the calamari and the garlic infused mushrooms. Quick and attentive service. Would come back.

• Visited September 2013

New Plymouth, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty tapa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Looking for dinner along Hardware lane is always an experience. we chose Pop for several reasons - the tapa menu looked good, the spruiker wasn't in our face and it looked relaxed. I chose the pork tapas and the mushroom tapas, while my partner had the steak. My pork was beautiful, as was the steak. The mushrooms however weren't as tasty with their sauce being a bit watery. Overall the service was great, the meal yummy and background music provided a nice ambience

• Visited September 2013
Australia
“Lacked Zing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I happened upon Hardware Lane whilst looking for soneware to eat and was pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere of this Melbourne laneway. Amongst all thehype iecide to dine at Pop for no other reason than the spruker out from was a little less pushy than the others.

Overall the atmopshere was pleasant enough, perhaps a little quiet compared to nearby establishments and the service was quick and friendly.

I chose to dine from the Tapa's menu which whilst not offering a huge range of choices it covered all main area and at $10 a serve was resonably priced. I settled on the Lamb & Chorizo Skewers, Lamb Meatballs and a Rcket Parmisan Salad ($4) and a local ale as the Spanish house special brew had run dry :(

The food arrived within a minum of time, was well presented and for what I ordered ended up being a good medium sized meal for one. The net result was the food was tasty enough but lacked the zing I've come to exect from good Spanish food. Why are chefs so afraid to use spices in their cooking; after all the Australian palette has changed for the better.

Cost $37 incuding a couple of drinks.

Would I visit again; perhaps not. Next time I'm in Melbourne I think I'll try the Amigo's tequila & tapas bar opposite as it looked to be a little livelier and they had beer on tap!!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank WTN_007
Melbourne, Australia
“Lunch was OK. Did the barramundi fish”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Average experience for me. Service was OK if not a bit disorganised. Food tasted good but nothing to praise.

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Saturday is not alright for fighting...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Firstly the food was very nice. But the problem was that the staff were more interested in conversation between themselves, rather than being efficient in serving customers. We waited more than 5 mins just to get a menu. Too long considering they only had a few tables to attend to. Our main was very nice. I asked for the bill. Waited about 5 minutes, but then decided to get up and pay at the bar as it looked like the waitress forgot.

Then as I approached the bar I looked to my right, and realised the chef and waiter were having a punch on. No paying customer should ever have to witness this appalling behaviour. They could of at least fought it out in the lane behind the restaurant...

After things looked like they cooled down in the kitchen I headed back to the bar to pay. I paid and was offered no
Apology for what I witnessed. Could be a great place to eat if staff showed a lot more professionalism and attention to paying customers.

Visited April 2013