“Felt a little unwelcome”
Review of New Kum Den

New Kum Den
Ranked #979 of 4,226 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

The food was fairly good but we were ticked away in the back near the men's toilet. Perhaps because we had a child with us. I also found the wait staff just wasted to get us out of there. They were busy but it still made us feel uncomfortable.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Being a lover of Asian cuisine, I find it rather disheartening to have bad experiences in Chinatown restaurants. In Melbourne they are pretty good, but not always great. That was until I went to New Kum Den. Now, all double entendres aside (I am going down this seedy looking alleyway to the Kum Den), it was a very good restaurant. We went quite early so the restaurant was only half full, and we were unfortunately tucked away in the far corner by the toilets, while every other patron (who happened to all be Asian) were across the room all clustered together. I am sure it wasn't racial segregation, but the thought did cross our minds!! :-) Having said that, we don't go to restaurants for seating positions, we go for the food. And the food was brilliant. Very reasonable price for (unexpectedly) massive portions. It was all cooked perfectly, soft and succulent meat, fresh and tasty vegetables and tasty sauces. One of our dishes came out on a sizzling skillet which was a nice touch, and the pan fried dumplings were particularly good.

The service was quick, efficient and friendly and overall it was a great experience!!! Recommended!!

1  Thank S1m0nT
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went here purely from the reviews from trip advisor and glad we did. The food was great especially the dumplings and the fillet steak. Very busy but still great service, we'll worth a visit.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten in a few restaurants in China Town. I found this restaurant through reading reviews and am very glad I did. Fresh tasting dim sum close your eyes and swear you're in Hong Kong. I have since taken friends of mine also very impressed.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Found this place thanks to others reviews on tripadvisor. Delicious food, lovely friendly helpful staff. Definitely will comeback!!! Yum yum yum