“just right” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portello Rosso

Portello Rosso
Reserve with
Portello Rosso is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #161 of 3,851 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
“just right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Coincidence can sometimes lead one into the right spot. I have spent a lot of holidays in the Valencian region of Spain (back then, when the world was still nice and kids could peek into the cockpit of an aeroplane...). I do have a very deep affection for spanish food and it goes thus far, that I ask myself, why 'french cuisine' was invented at all. Last week, on my last evening in Melbourne, I walked in. Well, the Murmur Bar carries the famous 'Matso's Beer' range, so it came natural, that on a Monday evening, after drinks, I walked into Portello Rosso. I did expect Italian, to be honest, but what I found was a gem. I haven't had Spanish food in over 20 years and this was, what I remembered it. Nothing fancy, but sophisticated, lovingly prepared fresh dishes, without the 'usual' overkill, that one unfortunately gets in any restaurant nowadays. An eye for detail and flavors, which can only be described as 'authentic as'. Well, pricy? Yes, a little, but if I compare it to my home in Broome, WA, where I pay easily $20 for a shabby, greasy takeaway Fish & Chips.... No, this one I already recommended to friends with the words, that 'just by savouring the menu, I have lost one liter of druel'. Enough said about the kitchen, just to continue with the very friendly and chatty Heather, who served me with a very natural smile. And once there was a minute time, we exchanged experiences of Catalunia, as she lived in the Valencian region for several years. I will go there again, this much is for sure. Thank you Portello Rosso, for a wonderful evening, that I will remember for the rest of my life.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Marcus M

Australia
“Great atmosphere at Portello Rosso”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

The restaurant in is central Melbourne, complimentary olives and soup, delicious tapas and staff happy to take the time to explain and recommend the dishes. Reasonable prices, well chosen and priced wine list - the Tempranillo from the Rioja delicious and affordable. A great experience.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank AustraliaLee
Melbourne, Australia
“A great restaurant in the city of Melbourne”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

I was given a gift voucher for this restaurant. 8 of us ending up going and had the communal table which was great for our group. The restaurant is one of those wonderful lane ways in Melbourne that have a restaurant bar in them. There had been a little mix up with the booking but the chef who owns the place went out of his way to say sorry and provide some sangria as an offering. Wow, finding a restaurant that values the customer can be rare in Melbourne nowadays. We let the chef select the food for us (even though one of our group is always sceptical about this type of thing). The tapas food was amazing best Spanish I have had, it was just great, even our sceptic was pleasantly surprised. Paella at the end was full of goodies. Dessert was yum, yum is a very good description for the chocolates sauces, strawberries and Spanish doughnuts. It is very reasonably priced, not pretenious, yet modern and all of us wouldn't hesitate going back. I would strongly recommend you support a chef who is obviously passionate about food and service and I write this knowing that such a good review will only make it harder for me to get a booking!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank SueK58
Melbourne
“Individually prepared meals worth the wait.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

ThIs converted boxing gym located in a smal Melbourne lane way is not too difficult to find and the effort is wel rewarded with a fine dining experience. We arrived with a booking but no specific table had been allocated to us which in this case was a blessing as we were able to move away from a very loud work group out for what seemed a night on the town. If there is a critism it would be that many tables are very close together, a feature I do not like in many popular places.
Why the high rating then? Well the service was excellent and provided with good humour and a sound knowledge of what was happening in the kitchen. This enabled us the order our Paella nice and early so that the wait of 45 minutes was easily occupied by a mouth watering variety of tapas accompanied by a reasonably priced bottle of Spanish Red.
The menu is varied and should offer all tastes a chance to find either tapas or main courses that will provide a lasting impression. For us the highlights were the Pork Belly tapas and the Squid Ink Paella, not to mention those chocolate based desserts.
Food is a little on the pricey side with drinks priced reasonably. Overall, good value.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Elseymelbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Delicious food, great service, very reliable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Our visit in November 2011 was about the 6th time I had been since being wowed the first time. It's been great for an intimate dinner with my husband, but equally good as a venue for my hens celebration and a colleague's farewell lunch. Everyone comes away raving about the food so anytime a friend comes to town I now book in here for a guaranteed great food experience. I think the prices are reasonable.

• Visited November 2011