“Food good, service average”
Review of Papa Goose

Papa Goose
Ranked #116 of 4,296 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: We’ve had a small change at Papa Goose. We’ve relaxed the menu and given the dining room a nip and a tuck and can’t wait for you to come and try it. We’ve had chef Bryce Bernhardt running the kitchen for a while now. Bryce came to us after being a sous chef at Church Street Enoteca for three years and chef/co-owner at North Fitzroy’s Jorg and by Jorg @ Narkoojee winery. He has worked with Italian flavours and techniques his whole career and brought this experience to us at Papa Goose. The introduction of more dishes to share made us realise we wanted to give the logo and dining room a new look, too. Think stretched mozzarella with beef tomato, basil and pea oil, and braised octopus with pepperoncini sauce, barbecued squid and lovage; there are part of the ‘Small Plates’ on the menu. But never fear! Our ‘Modern British Fare’ take on the menu will still be there for our regular customers.
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at 8pm promptly for dinner. We ordered & had consumed our entre by 8.30-8.40 at the latest.
We received our mains at 9.39 - not a great result, but not the end of the world. Food was good, but not complicated so did it take so long?
My issue is that we received many apologies from waiting staff, so they recognized there was issue but did nothing to address the issue. Why not be pro-active & offer a free coffee, or free dessert, or 10% off. A million apologies doesn't fix the problem & doesn't change me feeling ticked off about waiting over an hour for a main meal = fail.

1  Thank Flash6969

Reviewed November 5, 2012

A friend brought me here one quiet Sunday afternoon. Place was spacious and there were two wait staff. Service was prompt and we were informed of their current weekend roast fare, good for two. For $50 each person, it included two fresh oysters for entree, a platter of cold cut meat and assorted cheese, a block of tender, succulent roast pork with side dishes of roasted green vegetables and garden salad. We started off with a complimentary plate of fresh bread.

I think the food would have been good for three people as we couldn't finish the mains and had to have it taken away. Though we were already full, I wanted to sample one of their desserts, the banotoffee, a concoction of banana ice cream and toffee. It was also good but I probably would have chosen a chocolate based dessert next time.

I was also informed that they change their menu every 2 weeks so their offerings stay relatively new.

We got in at 1.30 and left the place at 4 pm. Apparently, 1pm to 5pm was their lull period with no need for reservation.

1  Thank Shemivad
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Good food, steak was nice but not outstanding, and a small portions for a main course of fish, which was really tasty though. The chocolate dessrt was to die for!!

Did not like the side dishes we ordered of potatoes (tasted liked boiled ones) and the beans (prefer green brean to their yellow ones)

Also we sat at the back of the restaurant, near the kitchen area and the very bright lights in the kitchen ruined the subdued atmosphere.

Wouldn't return.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Recommended by the concierge at the Grand Hyatt in Melbourne. We arrived at 6pm to an empty restaurant. Service was prompt but you would expect that from bored staff. By the time we left 715pm 3 couples were dining. I had 3 courses and left hungry. My partner had the barramundi which was obviously farmed freshwater fish but she really liked it. I asked for a blue scotch fillet but was told I couldn't have scotch blue so I had to Havre eye fillet. Never had that before? So I had the eye fillet. The waitress here agreed the steak was definitely not blue. I reckon more like medium rare. It was tender as you would expect from eye but very tasty which is not always the case. The sauces and other dishes were very tasty. They have lots of local beers to sample which was a nice touch. The staff were very friendly and attentive. Don't blink as you walk past or you may not see it at all.

1  Thank Bakerzinc
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Happy with our dining experience. Service was top notch, often with two waiting staff serving at same time. Very high standard food. Tasty and fresh. The ambience of room could be improved....not overly comfortable chairs etc but the food and service stole the show. Try the smoked haddock croquettes and the barramundi.

1  Thank choops3163