“Ambience was the only good thing about this place!”
Review of Cafe Issus

Cafe Issus
Ranked #626 of 4,151 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

This place looked very popular and had a cool vibe, so we thought we'd give it a try. I had the ricotta hotcakes and my husband poached eggs with ham and hollandaise sauce. Both meals were below average and came out on the cold side. The coffee was ok but not great. Hot chocolate was tasty but not what we ordered (we asked for chilli hot chocolate but there was no chilli in it). The waiters were inattentive and the meal cost nearly $50. We felt ripped off. Definitely wont be going back.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Issus

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Abysmal. Experience was so bad it prompted me to write my first ever review of a cafe.

We waited over 45 mins for some scrambled eggs on toast and poached eggs on avacado salsa when we were the only diners in the cafe for breakfast.

When they finally arrived after having to remind the staff that we were still waiting, the poached eggs were cold, watery and tasteless. The scrambled eggs were also watery, bland and luke warm. If a cafe cannot cook staple breakfast items such as poached or scrambled eggs, they should not be in business.

Service was appalling - no water offered, no butter provided for toast, wait staff were not up to scratch.

This cafe is only in business because of its location in one of Melbournes alleyways, not because of quality.

I have never felt compelled to write a review before in my life and am not known to make complaints even if I am disappointed with a meal.

1  Thank Emske22
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

We had a late lunch at Issus on a Monday and were pleased with the quality of food. It was tasty, filling and decently priced. The only issue is that service was slow even though the cafe was only half full. My husband was halfway through his meal before mine arrived. Disappointing. But would definately eat there again.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had breakfast here on a Saturday morning. The staff were polite, but seemed a little disinterested.
It's one of the slightly grungy dark cafes that populate this laneway with the usual breakfast suspects and a couple of signature dishes. I had fruit salad, yoghurt and muesli which came on a small platter and was mostly watermelon, orange and uncored thinly sliced pineapple. Not a lot of yoghurt or muesli and all cut rather thinly and it was a bit tasteless. Had to ask for a spoon. Knives and forks are in tubs on the tables. Got given a soup spoon.
Husband had poached eggs on avocado and some form of bread. The eggs were a little firm and cool and again the avocado cut so small you couldn't really taste it.
We had an apple, orange, pineapple and ginger "refreshing" freshly squuezed juice, but it just sort of tasted watery. Unable to pick the ginger in it.
There are many cafes in this laneway, sadly I think we chose poorly this time.Nothing wrong with the food, just lacked the flavour we prefer.

Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The only thing I can remember is that the Coffee is great!

The Food is okay but for the price, its not worth it. Their scrambled eggs are yuck!

The service is bad, they are not attentive to their customers. Two staffs were chatting outside when i can see customers' necks looking for them so they can give them their orders.