“Outstanding”

and up
Central Melbourne Walking Tour
Ranked #34 of 255 Tours in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Once described as a 'comprehensive highlight of the city', the Melbourne By Foot walking tour is a must for any visitor to the cultural capital of Australia. At only $40 (including coffee/tea) and with daily departures, Melbourne By Foot is the most convenient and best value way to experience the city. Our fun and informal tours show our enthusiasm for the city's past and present, our friendly guides are all 'big on Melbourne' and we are happy to share with you the unique parts of the city which many visitors miss.We have recently launched a new tour called 'The Beer Lovers Guide to Melbourne'. We have combined our passion for the past and present as well as our enthusiasm for the local craft beer scene to create an interesting and enjoyable night time tour. Come and experience Melbourne with us.
Melbourne, Australia
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a really good time at Melbourne by Foot tour. Dave took the group to the main touristic points of downtown melbourne (included the cafes at centre place laneway, which was the best of the tour in my opinion!). So definitely, its such a nice way to know a little bit about melbourne and australia history. Its well designed for international visitors and students (he provides us a map at the end of the tour where u can see the path we went through, plus things to do in melbourne using public transport). Well spent money!!

Hi Caio,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. As a new arrival in Melbourne, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the tour. Hopefully we have given you a great orientation and a wealth of knowledge for further exploration.

Hope to see you on the Beer Lovers Guide to Melbourne tour soon.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamilton, New Zealand
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A great walk around Melbourne”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I took the walk with my wife and mum. We had a great afternoons walk around Melbourne. Dave was a great wealth of knowledge and shared it easily. It would recommend this walk for everyone interested in seeing a little more of Melbourne than you might otherwise. We saw some great street art and laneways which are hidden away but an important part of what makes Melbourne a great city to visit

Hi Alastair,

Thanks for coming along on the tour with your wife and mum. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the street art as well as the laneways. It was great to have you join the Beer Lovers Guide to Melbourne tour on Thursday with your brother too.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review.

Singapore, Singapore
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Kudos!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

After reading thru the reviews at Tripadvisor, I decided to take up the Melbourne by Foot walking tour for my wife and myself. Even though this was not my first time to Melbourne, I thought a tour guide with proper explanation would probably do more justice to the city history and culture than me trying to explain to my wife whom is her first time to Australia in fact. Indeed, Dave, the guide did not disappoint us in the least bit.

From the first meeting point to all of us in the group parting ways, he always has a ready smile for all of us in the group. More importantly, his knowledge of the city is very exhaustive and he tries very hard to answer all of our questions in the group. The walking tour is about 3 hours and covered many places of interest and cultural significance. Under the hot sun, Dave was able to explain clearly and without any hint of rush. The 15 min break in-between for drinks was also a good respite.

On the whole, this was a very well-planned walking tour coupled with a great enthusiastic guide in Dave. I would strongly recommend especially the first timers, and in fact, even regular visitors to try out Melbourne by Foot. You simply don’t know what you are missing out in terms of the city’s cultural heritage. Great work Dave!!

1 Thank JusT76
Hi Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We have many return visitors to Melbourne who attend the tour and are always amazed at how much they learn about the city. It has been an unusually warm month and I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the pace - in spite of the heat.

Hope to see you and Joanna back in Melbourne again in the future.

All the best,
St. Augustine, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Melbourne By Foot - Time Well Spent!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Centre Pace, Neon Natives, Yarn Bombing, Hosier LA, Cherry Bar, Lamington's! Thanks to Dave these are now part of our Melbourne experience. Our recent Diamond Princess cruise visited Melbourne on 6 February, a beautiful summer day. We prefer arranging for tours privately vice thru the ship. Our only disappointment is that we didn't have more time to spend in Melbourne - a modern, vibrant and culturally diverse city. Dave's tour was a perfect mix of history, urban legend, current issues and city-scrapes. Dave is very knowledgeable and is able to engage all ages with his easy manner. We had to leave the tour about 30 minutes early to make our way back to the ship by 4:30 pm - the 109 Tram takes about 20 minutes to go from the William Street stop, on Collins Street, to Port Melbourne. My wife and I both highly recommend this tour. We are both 66 and in reasonably good condition. The distance covered and pace were fine. Dave made every effort to find shady areas where we could all rest while he wove his tale of Melbourne!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. It is a great compliment to say this is one of your most memorable tours. I am happy to hear that you got a chance to re-visit some of the areas we introduced you to - Melbourne is a city of many treasures.

Hope to see you back in Melbourne wearing your Melbourne By Foot badge with pride. ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Melbourne by Foot - An excellent introduction to Melbourne”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I have recently returned from a holiday in Melbourne. We chose this walking tour due to the excellent reviews found online. We booked this tour and were not disappointed. Dave is a very knowledgeable and friendly guide. He is well versed on the history of Melbourne and pointed out landmarks, signs or pictures that you would have passed many times without noticing. It gave us something to read up more on the internet and also a chance to go back to the same spots to explore further at our own time. We even had a little badge given to us after we checked into the FB page. This was one of the more memorable walking tours that we have taken part in from our travels.