“Great Location”

Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street
Ranked #28 of 156 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed here for the Stampin' Up! convention Tuesday to Saturday night. Had to check out by 10am sunday, but that was ok because they looked after our bags for us until we had to get a maxi cab to the Airport at 3.30pm. That was booked for us too, so great service.
The apartment was clean and spacious. We were upgraded from a 2 bedroom to a 3 bedroom. Thank you so much.
Great walking distance to the Convention Centre. Walking round to the front only took no more than 10 minutes. Even quicker was through the carpark at the back. Tram station right outside, was so handy to get to St Kilda on tram 96. Very short distance also to the Crown Casino where we had many food options. 7-eleven just around the corner .... it also has a money machne in there too. The only disappointment was that they put two nights accommodation onto one of the occupants credit card when they should not have ... it was easily fixed on Sunday morning when we were checking out thankfully the young lass at the office was very efficient and most helpful. Keep hold of her, she is a gem. Oh and the information that should be in the guest information folder in the apartments was empty. We read the info that was in our other friends apartment. May pay to check all apartments and make sure they are uptodate. Used the swimming pool - great facility. Thank you.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Swmming Pool is on Level 7
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andreadogs
Melbourne04, General Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Andreadogs,

Thanks for writing a review following your stay with us at Whiteman Street this May. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and our convenient location.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments on your on your return trip.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed there for 7 nights and I really like the location and the view. The room was clean with enough amenities. The only downside was the aircon. It produce weird smells and they managed to call electrician to fix it but since it's a big job, they fix it after the end of my stay. Another thing, they didn't clean my apartment for my entire stay. It's fine for me since I was rarely there.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Dear Stefilia 1,
Thank-you for leaving your review following your recent stay with us at Southbank Deluxe property. I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the location and the view from your apartment.

I appreciate your feedback about the aircon unit in your apartment. It required some major work and parts to be ordered so it did take some time to fix. With regards to the servicing of your apartment, we do not provide a daily service, although one can be organised when required at a small fee. We service our apartments every 7 days during a guests stay.

Again, thanks for providing your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments when you’re next in town.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

I stayed 4 nights (sunday to thursday) in a 1 bedroom apartment to attend a conference at Melbourne Convention and Exhibiton Centre. The location was excellent for walking (the road behind the convention centre involves crossing at traffic lights and a 3 minute walk and you were there), the apartment was clean, tidy and comfortable and had a great view of the Yarra River. My colleagues stayed in local hotels the same distance or even further and paid more than what I did just for a hotel room. There is a tram stop just outside, DFO outlet mall is a 5 minute walk behind the convention centre and there is supermarket about 5 minute walk south.

Few minor things - the lighting in the bathroom was dim so I had to put on makeup in the bedroom, check-in/out is through the apartment rental/sales office which is open for business hours only, the location didn't seem to be convenient for shuttle/taxi drivers as Whiteman road is a left hand only turn - the Skybus shuttle dropped me off at the Crown across the road and told me where to walk and to get a taxi back to the airport I ended up walking back to the Crown.

Room Tip: The view is worth it. 24 hours internet is around $10.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank A P
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear AP,

Thank you for providing a glowing five star review of your stay with us this May, it was our absolute pleasure to welcome you to our Southbank Deluxe property. We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback, it helps us continue to deliver an outstanding guest experience.

I am so thrilled to read that you rated your stay with us so highly! It's great to hear that you found the property to be in an excellent location and that you enjoyed the lovely views from your apartment.

I appreciate your comments about the shuttle service dropping you off a bit further down the road. Skybus and the shuttle companies have their designated drop off and pick up points, which is approx a 2 minute walk from our Southbank Deluxe property.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments when you’re next in town.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have previously stayed at another nearby hotel for our annual trade show but have found it's looking tired and long overdue for repainting. We moved to Whiteman St last year and we're very happy with the accommodation and price.
This year coincided with the grand prix so the room rates skyrocketed. Not happy! We chose to skip two days of the trade show to avoid the excessive weekend rates and just stayed a couple of night during the week. $350 per night is still excessive for a two bedroom but that's the penalty we pay for the convenient location. Carparking was an extra $16.50 per day. I do think carparking should be included. Same with a credit-card fee. It should be absorbed in the room rate. As a retailer I know my customers refuse to pay a credit card fee and "vote with their feet" if I try and charge the fee.
Room was excellent and we were upgraded to a three bedroom on check-in. Pity we didn't know about the upgrade prior to arrival as we had to leave staff at home due to the extra cost for an extra bedroom.
Location was excellent. Features were excellent. TV wasn't tuned correctly but that was a quick fix. Small supermarket directly below had all the necessities we needed. We ended up in a corner room on level 18 with great views.
Check-in was quick and easy with a very pleasant staff member (Sarah). A bit of banter and a laugh made the process seem far less painful on the hip-pocket. Check-in last year wasn't so easy 'cos we copped a grumpy staff member late in the day.
Major roads on three sides mean there is a bit of noise but you cannot escape that in the city. Double glazing on the bedroom windows would help a lot.
Overall, great accommodation and (usually) at an acceptable rate. Definitely on my list for next year.

Room Tip: Plenty of sun on the bedroom windows. Probably too hot during summer but great in winter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank WazzaAndCheryl
Melbourne04, General Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear WazzaAndWenches,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us at Whiteman Street this March. It's great to hear your feedback as it assists us in shaping our guest experience moving forward.

I am thrilled to hear that you experienced the high standard of customer service that we pride ourselves on. I will pass your compliments on to Sarah with great pleasure!

Again, thanks for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Was looking for a change of scenery from the CBD for the melb Gp and chose this place based on it's reviews.

The office where you check in is looking tired with worn fraid carpet so isn't a great 1st impression. Staff very friendly and helpful though.

There was 15 of us and it was good to all be located on the same level. We are in 2 x 3 bedroom 2 bathroom apt (one we got upgraded to from a 2 bed) and 1 x 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apt.

1 of 3 bedroom apt has amazing views but needs a good freshen up of paint and carpet which are quite marked. The other 3 beddie is clean and layout ok but main bathroom is on opposite side to the bedrooms so you have to maze through the furniture to get there.

The 3 beddies get HOT with the afternoon sun and whilst there is aircon this doesn't get into the bedrooms. These need a ceiling fan desperately. Place is noisy from the traffic so you can't have the windows open which is odd when you are on the 18th floor.

Beds are ok if you like them firm.

The 2 bed on the eastern side needs better window furnishings to stop traffic light, noise and morning sun as venetians just arent appropriate. Again ceiling fans are required to give some air.

Kitchens are a good size and well equipped but knives need a good sharpen.

Main bathrooms are a good size but ensuites are strangely a walkthrough the wardrobe. A challenge to find in the beginning.

Places aren't serviced daily unless you pay for it. I think that could do with a rethink given prices are the same as hotels.

Apartment block is in a great location if you've never stayed at southbank. Stacks of restaurants, DFO, IGA around the corner, casino, Yarra, etc.

So all-in-all place is ok but not great so a little disappointed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AussieTraveller-f1
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Dear Aussie Traveller,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience following your stay with us at our Southbank Deluxe property in March, 2014.. We honestly value any feedback received, it allows us to create and improve upon already existing strategies and policies designed to give you the best experience possible.

I am disappointed to read that your apartment did not fully meet your expectations on this occasion.

With regards to our office location, this will shortly undergo a soft refurbishment with new carpet being placed in the office and overall freshen up.

I can appreciate your feedback about the apartments becoming warm and the occasional traffic noise that can be heard. Southbank is a desnly populated area and a lot of traffic does flow through its streets. Next time you stay you can request an apartment facing away from the main thoroughfares.

From our experience the A/C units in the apartments can effectively cool down the apartment if it is run on a constant 21-22 degrees and all the apartment blinds are closed. But I also appreciate this feedback and the suggestion for ceiling fans.

It is pleasing that during the Grand Prix period we were able to accommodate your entire group on the same level and that you enjoyed amazing views from one of the 3 bedroom apartments. It is also pleasing that you found the property to be in a great location close to a plethora or restaurants and attractions.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feedback and we hope to host you on your next trip to Melbourne.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

On arriving at the reception for the block just down the street I felt like I was checking into a University hall. There was then a mix up we had booked a three bed apt, but ended up with a 2 & 1. Tired and grumpy we went to the block, the surly and miserable reception/security chap made us feel we really were in for a bad stay. However, there endeth the bad ! The remainder of this review is all positive. Superb rooms, great kitchen area, comfortable beds and stunning views, higher the better if you have a choice. All was very well maintained, all furnishings and fittings looked modern and good quality, great big TV, wifi good and spotless , great cleaners. Being one of three lads on the British and Irish Lions Tour, we also incredibly we're able to operate the washing machine without wife assistance. Very spacious you will not be disappointed, excellent for couples or families, minutes from the Southbank, restaurants and bars and the rest of this great city, even though we lost the second test.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank GREENBUSH
Melbourne04, General Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Whiteman Street, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear GREENBUSH,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your stay with us in 2013. It's great to hear from our guests because it helps us ensure that we continue to deliver an outstanding guest experience.

It is with great pleasure that I read your review! We work hard to present our apartments to a standard where you can walk in the door and make yourself right at home. I'm very happy to see that you found your apartment had everything you needed for an enjoyable stay (including an easy-to-operate washing machine)!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to our fantastic city. Thanks once again for taking the time to share your experience with Melbourne Short Stay Apartments.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for seven days in January this year. Booked through Booking.com. Apartment is across the road from Crown Casino, 5 minutes walk to DFO, 10 minutes to Collins Street, and about 20 minutes walk to China town (Where we discovered Longrain, and Bistro Vue, both fantastic dining experiences).

After we pick up our keys in the office at the front of the building, we can access the lobby and lifts using the key card to access our room level. A separate key to open and you must use the key to lock up even internally, so be aware of this before leaving your room, there is a smaller key to access the balcony. The room living room is roomy leading out to the balcony, access to some cable TV was nice to unwind. Besides the fair sufficient gym, the indoor heated pool was great for laps and fun for the kids.

The apartment is clean and self contained with some basic amenities enough for only a couple of nights as in shampoo and soap, but no toothbrush. Enough detergent for a couple of loads of clothes and dishwashing, 2 sachets of hand dish detergent and a set of replacement towels for the 4 of us. Tea and coffee is complimentary, the couple sachets of hot chocolate and biscuits was nice. Beds are firm, pillows just perfect, we had two each which I really appreciate.

We had a few hick ups: the parking I did not realised must be booked 2 days in advance, we had to wait till the next day for a parking(first night my husband join membership @ the Crown and parked for free for the first night). I did also neglect to request for 2 singles for the kids, the had to share a double. Wi-Fi is cheap and fast at $50 for 7 nights, though it is limited to a maximum of 3 devices and there are 4 of us.

The IGA Express opens late in the corner was great for basic supplies for breakfast and snacks. Breakfast along the various cafes along the South Banks is also 2 minutes walk away. You are spoilt for choice of where to eat.

We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Don't forget to book car park in advance.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank TramTranTrails

Dear TramTranTrails,

Wow! Thank you for providing such a glowing five star review following your stay with us this month, it was our absolute pleasure to welcome you to Whiteman Street! We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback as it helps us continue to deliver an outstanding guest experience.

I am thrilled to read that you rated your stay with us so highly! It's great to hear that you found your apartment was comfortable, well equipped and conveniently located, giving you the ability to experience some of Melbourne's wonderful restaurants and shopping precincts.

Thank you once again for your glowing review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments when you’re next in town.