“Terrific Tapas”
Review of Movida Aqui

Movida Aqui
Ranked #55 of 4,108 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: There are already two branches listed on TA, but this is the third restaurant opened in November 2009.
Melbourne, Australia
“Terrific Tapas”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I went to MoVida today for lunch with family. We sat out in the courtyard, under a sun umbrella on a glorious Melbourne day. My brother was offered a very stylish hat to cover his head as his seat was in full sun. The waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, professional and helpful, recommending wihich of the delicious menu selections to try. We started with tapas, including anchovy on a crisp base with a lovely sorbet, Bomba - potato in breadcrumbs with a chorizo centre, lamb cutlet with a pork pate and herb sauce, very tender salt and peppper calamari on a rustic roll with a home style mayonnaise, and a potato and carmelised onion tortilla. So tasty, and single serve sizes so you could try more than one without ruining your appetite for a main. Tapas varied between $4.50 - $9. Mains we had at our table included a beef cheek in a sherry sauce with mashed vegetable, a baby beet salad with fromage (cheese), the best scallops I've ever had with cured meat slices and roasted cauliflower, and more tapas for those who loved it too much to order mains. If you go, you must have a mojito or two. This restaurant probably would cater for children, but it has a more adult feel and I think children would seem out of place here. there were none the day I went, but it was a weekday / schoolday.

Visited March 2013

Tasmania
“You get what you pay for - great Tapas bar”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

caught up with a friend who when she realised i was taking her to a tapas bar that she wasn't keen. She thought that she wouldn't like anything.

I suggested that I should order so a selection of sliced meats, olives, bombas (chorizo croquettes), main dishes of pork sausage and slow cooked beef cheeks and she was converted.

The selection of small plates, large meals, paella, seafood, and vegetarian dishes were extensive. The specials list makes regulars like me gives variation which is also good.

Shared desserts of churros and creme caramel also went down a treat.

The staff are well versed on the meals and their extensive wine list and are a credit to them. They make the experience for regulars and newbies pleasurable.

The atmosphere is what you would expect being boisterous. Despite that we could hear each other easily to catch up on 6 years of separation.

Conversation between tables is a regular occurrence with people often asking others about their meals for advice. This again adds to the overall experience.

The bill of $140 including tip was good value for what we had, despite the fact that that included one glass of sangria and a bottle of mineral water as the only drinks from the bar.

Bookings are essential as it is incredibly popular which is understandable.

Advice - if unsure of anything talk to the staff. Their knowledge is indispensable and look at the tables around you and ask.

• Visited March 2013
Albury, Australia
“Loved it”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Enjoyed this restaurant. Visited with a group of friends, and we went to town a little bit. We ordered numerous entrées and mains and shared them around. The food came out slowly and over time, which helped to keep us paced and enjoy the food, with the first dish coming out within five minutes after ordering. The service was a little bit slow, as we often had to wait a while for service, however they where quite busy. Did enjoy looking at the waiter that looks like Chris Hemsworth though. The atmosphere was really quite nice, and spacious, even though it is in the middle of Melbourne's cbd, we where able to relax and enjoy the night.

• Visited February 2013
Hobart, Australia
“Delicioso”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My daughter raved about MoVida. I trust her judgement, so I was looking forward to the food. We (me, wife, daughter) couldn’t get into MoVida in Hosier Lane but managed to get a booking at MoVida Aqui on a very busy Saturday night. I’ve spent time in the Asturias region and enjoyed the combined simplicity/complexity of tapas and Spanish food in general. I was not disappointed with Aqui. There was a wonderful mix of traditional and more modern styles. The bombas, gambas (prawn) special cooked in cider, octopus, squid, anchovies and salads were all excellent. I don’t know how they cooked their lamb cutlets but they melted in the mouth. The wine list is quite extensive with several varieties of Spanish wine, white and red, along with wines from France, Portugal, Italy, Australia and New Zealand. If you like the Spanish Priorat or Tempranillo there are several to try. Many wines were available by the glass and some as half bottles. I was looking for a Tempranillo that had a bit of sweetness in the fruit to balance the spice and mix of foods. The recommendation from the bar was spot on, a 2011 Cillar de Silos Joven Tempranillo. It matched well with both seafood and meat. Despite the busy night the staff were very attentive, helpful and the food came in a timely manner. MoVida will be a regular visit when I’m in Melbourne.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Graham H
“Perfect”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just gave the other a budget and said feed us well. Underspent and over delivered. Just stunning food, great service. No wonder the place is packed.

• Visited February 2013