“Good location with spacious rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Citadines on Bourke Melbourne

Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
victoria
“Good location with spacious rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

Excellent location, very comfortable room with kitchenette, large bathroom, sofa, flat screen tv and stereo. The property is located across the road from a nightclub, so late in the evening on the weekend there can be some noise. My only negative is that I took the time to contact the hotel about requiring twin beds several days before our arrival and was assured by return email that everything would be in place. Upon checking in at around 5pm the room hadn't been organised and house-keeping had to come and pull everything apart to create the twin beds.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

A sudden three day stay in Melbourne had me searching for a central, spacious hotel or apartment under $200 per night. Not many of those! I kept coming across the Citadines, but could not find it on Trip Advisor to verify the general opinion of it. Once I realised it was brand new, I decided to give it a try and it was absolutely the right choice.

Clean, bright, good views ( i was on the 15th floor and not blocked by any adjoining buildings). Nice feather doonas and soft pillows. There are flat screen TVs and a sofa and writing desk - quite spacious - and this was a twin room.

They have a full mini kitchen - complete withe dishwasher draw.

There are no baths that like to relax in one, but a very large shower (for two?).

those going for a twin should be aware that they are very narrow single beds - not standard. so if you are very tall or like lots of space you will be quite uncomfortable.

Also note - The walls are not as soundproof as they could have been. The hallways echo into the rooms at night if you are a light/sensitive sleeper.

It is in a FANTASTIC location. two blocks down and you are in the major shopping outdoor Mall. The tram is outside the door. You are two blocks parallel to Collins St and only one to China Town.

They have chosen not to have Food and Beverage and just focus on the rooms. There are so many choices all around the area that this was no issue for me, but to be taken into account if you are planning on room service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank capturedmoments
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Just returned from a 4 night stay in a Studio Apartment. Room was compact but had everything I needed. Unfortunately view was of building wall and not much light was available. Being new it was great and everything was sparkling clean. Beds comfortable, nice thick white towels, extra blankets on demand. Biggest plus was the location, next to Chinatown with lots of restaurants in the area, and up the road from Bourke Street Mall, shops had sales everywhere. Access to transport very easy. The staff were 10+ and did everything to make our stay comfortable, in fact going beyond the call of duty, the desk clerk walked to the cab rank on Exhibition to find a taxi that would take us to Spencer St bus depot, when other taxi driver we had booked just drove off after we told him we were not going to airport but to Spencer St! Had a great stay and would stay again. TIP: try to avoid checking out on Sunday mornings as the queues were quite long. Luckily we checked out Monday and not as bad.

1 Thank SLMelb0812Jul
Sth Gippsland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed with my partner & 4 friends who were in separate rooms. Our room was great 16th floor & great view. The bed was super comfortable. Check out was a 1 hour wait @11 so check out earlier to avoid the cue & parking was a bit stiff at $32. Great place to stay, would absolutely stay there again.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

My husband booked this night as a relaxing night in for the two of us. We thought being a new hotel it would be an enjoyable experience... we were sadly mistaken. Given the hotel was in its second day of trade, we did expect a couple of hiccups like the lifts not working or something. Well, the lifts were fine, however the rest of our experience was not.

It was lucky I didn't walk past the hotel when I first arrived. Unless you're looking up at the sky or into the window, there is no signage to indicated that the hotel is there, let alone where the door is. I was surprised to find no concierge at the front door so I had to struggle in with all my bags to find the reception area which was tucked around a corner. There is a real lack of signage in the entrance hall.

My husband phoned ahead to advise I was checking in before him. When I arrived at the hotel they were aware of this which was nice. The receptionist was very friendly and my check in experience was fast and efficient. I asked about parking but when I was advised that I had to self park at a cost of $30 and "drive down the road and turn left, then turn left again up Collins, then turn left again down Exhibition then turn left again down Little Collins" to park the car myself I decided to park up the road in a multi level, I'm happy to pay $30 for valet but not to drive around a complete city block to park the car myself.

The Receptionist helped me to my room with my bags which was nice. When we got to the room she gave me my key cards and left me to it. She didn't explain anything to me which was disappointing, considering I've experienced this in other four to four and a half star properties.

The rooms themselves were OK. They looked like Ikea had thrown up in them, but I could get past the lime green/white colour scheme and minimalist furniture.

My husband and I had planned to dine in the Restaurant that was advertised on Citadines' website, however when I checked in, I discovered that it was still under construction. It was even more disappointing to hear they didn't have room service. They did however have an external restaurant order-in service but when we phoned to place our order we were advised it would take between 60 and 90 minutes for delivery! Which it did!! My husband ordered something from a different restaurant to me, which arrived 20 minutes apart meaning we couldn't dine together without one eating cold or re-heated food. Very disappointing. The food itself was lovely, but that's got nothing to do with the hotel.

We wanted to use the Internet in our room, and as advertised on their website we thought they had wireless access in the room. They did not. After two calls and a trip to Reception we were told that the wireless wasn't working and that we had to keep the cord plugged in if we wanted to access the web. This was most annoying as the desk chairs are very uncomfortable if you're doing anything more than checking your emails. We discovered on checkout that there is no wireless Internet in the suites. No one seemed to know what was going on with the Internet access. This was frustrating.

I planned to hit the gym in the morning but after a sleepless night on what was without a doubt the WORST bed I have EVER slept on in my entire life, that went out the window. The mattress was so hard I may as well have slept on the floor. I contemplated sleeping on the couch but the arms were not cushioned so there was no point. In addition to the mattress, the heater turned on spontaneously during the night at 26 degrees, this made the night even more uncomfortable because it took forever to cool down.

For a new hotel we were very disappointed. Citadines sell themselves as an apartment hotel which made us expect the service levels of a hotel. We were wrong to expect those levels of service. If you're looking for a serviced apartment with only check in and check out service, then this would be fine. If you're looking for hotel level service, then look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iheartmelb82
vic
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Rooms are new and lovely as you'd expect from new hotel. Booking arrangements were difficult and took some time to arrange. Noise from nightclub below kept us awake, and went throught to 7 am wouldn't recommed for families or those traveling and want a decent nights sleep. Location suited, rooms lovely, but other factors ruin all the pluses with this one. Water took ages to come through for shower, few hicups being so new so we were told? Close to theater district, is the only good thing I can mention with this one. Limited onsite parking need to get in early for spot with Citadines.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alabamaVic
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

Great hotel in the heart of Melbourne. Fully self contained with microwave convection oven, dishwasher and stove. Also fully equipped with all the pots, plates, bowls and cups you need as well a great stereo with Ipod dock and LCD TV. If you get the higher floors a wonderful view of Melbourne. Beats a standard hotel room any day. Highly Recommended

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business