“Good for a night or two...not sure about a long stay though”

Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
North Sydney, Australia
“Good for a night or two...not sure about a long stay though”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this property for one night last week (24th March 2012)

Check-in was quick and efficient, and the hotel has a fresh modern feel. I was staying in a studio room which was a very decent size. I must compliment the housekeeping staff - the room was spotless and well maintained. Everything shined!

The bed was very comfortable and offered a decent nights sleep. Also I didn't hear any noise from adjoining rooms so that's a good sign too.

I don't like the bathroom sink being in the main room. It's a bit of a trend with new hotels and one I don't necessarily care for. Also, I ordered room service breakfast the next morning and was disappointed. I had to wait 50mins for it to arrive and for $29 for continental breakfast it didn't really excite me. It came with toast, but no butter or condiments...just dry old toast!

I think it would be a good hotel for a short stay. Location is very central and you can walk to everywhere.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Syd_Hotel_Boi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed in the Citadines for 5 nights when we were in Melbourne for the Grand Prix. We chose this place because of the kitchen facilities available in the room (microwave, toaster, stove top, sink, bar fridge), and because of it's great location. It is nicer than your regular apartments because there is a front service desk that is manned at all times, much like a big hotel.

Our room was very clean, but not very 'warm'. Their colour scheme is a bit drab, with greys and a lime green. Our large window looked out onto a grey brick wall, which probably didn't help either. The 'king' size bed was just two singles pushed together which unfortunately made the middle area a bit uncomfortable.

The bathroom featured the shower and toilet in the one area, which was a little squishy. However the shower recess itself was quite large. The basin and vanity was separate though which was good.

A tip for the girls: the hotel only provides a body/hair soap on the wall, no mini shampoo or conditioner. They also don't provide the usual shower cap!!

The room service menu for food was exorbitantly priced. I'm willing and expect to pay a bit more for room service, but $40 for a beef burger with all the trimmings was a little bit much.

The location was great. There's a tram stop directly out front of the hotel, and plenty more on adjacent Collins Street. Just a couple of minutes down the road is Bourke Street mall which is great for shopping.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MissM85
Sydney
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This fresh concept of so-called 'ApartHotels' had me intrigued, so I headed here for my next quick trip through Melbourne. It reminds me of some of the Toga properties that I am familiar and quite comfortable with. The rooms (Studio Executive ) are just big enough to stop them from being small, but they're light, bright and airy and I didn't feel squashed in at any time. The web site pics are really quite accurate. Neat little kitchen and bathroom all packed cleverly into the available space without looking or feeling crammed. Light switches were a bit of a mystery, but they are there, don't give up. Staff were all sharp and attentive but I did have to ask Daniel at the desk to just slow down a bit. You know how young folks like to talk at light speed and strip punctuation out of their speech? Unfortunately as this was a quick trip, I didn't check out the Food&Bev, conference or gym. I'd say perfect for a 2-3 day business trip or weekend shopping/arts escape. Great location, not noisy at all (on the 6th floor)

Room Tip: Head to the south end for light and quiet rooms.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Roderick E
Reviewed March 24, 2012

A well appointed, clean room with a good quality bed.
This is a lovely property & well worth a stay.
One little critique is a lack of condiments, ie milk & coffee's.

• Stayed March 2012
Brisbane
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed here one night with a promotion - arrived by skybus which dropped be across the road from hotel. Great location - I loved how it only took me a few minutes to walk to chinatown and have so many restuarants/bakeries at my doorstep! I arrived early before check-in and left my luggage with the concierage and found them very helpful. The view was mostly of a brick wall - but I wasnt bothered by that as I came to Melbourne to shop,eat and visit friends, not to look outside the window. I had a King size bed which was really comfy (although it was 2 doubles joined together). Room was huge, with a couch so my friends who visited had a place to sit comfortably and have a cup of tea and I loved using the ipod player (it worked with my iphone). My only complaint was when I had slept in til about 10am...I heard a small knock and then suddenly a man appeared at the door - I later realised it must have been housekeeping. It really scared me as the curtains were drawn so it was very dark and I sat up in bed and saw someone standing at the door. I've never had that problem before staying at other hotels - I think they should do housekeeping AFTER check out time or at least until after the person has checked out? I've never experienced that problem at other hotels before. Other then that it was a good experience and I would stay here again but perhaps with friends.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed here 1 night during the GP weekend. Disappointed room couldn't be arranged before 2pm but at least was given the chance to freshen up in the fitness centre. The gym is minimalist but lap pool is nice if a little chilly.

Asked for a newspaper but was told "We don't deliver newspapers here but you can read newspapers in the lobby". All staff interactions during my stay were very cold & robotic. I don't know whether this is a simply a training issue or if the staff don't care. Also no free internet whatsoever in the lobby - $6 per hour!

Rooms are very modern and a decent size but the handy CBD location means views of surrounding buildings only. The kitchen facilities would be useful for a longer stay & the big screen TV & iPod dock are good. Refreshing to find bar fridge empty for a change. Bed is average & bathroom a bit small plus lacking in amenities. Also the room safe kept saying "Low Battery" which I reported on checkout.

Overall the rooms are 4 star standard but let down badly by 1 star service. I would only consider staying again if there was a super sale but certainly not worth these premium rates which would ensure far superior 5 star hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Stormeh
Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Good location and nice room, but staff and system problems. I gave my credit card as a security for the room, but was apparently not allowed to check in to the hotel without swiping said credit card for room charge plus $100 for "sundry expenses". When I inquired as to why I needed to approve costs I had no intention of incurring, I was given a mouth full of attitude. Not good enough.
I was not given voucher for breakfast included in room.
Not good enough.
After check-out, I was contacted by head office who asked for my credit card details to pay for the booking because I was a "no-show". An email exchange wasted 45 minutes of my life as I had to somehow prove that I had shown up and paid my bill. Ultimately they apologised, but by that stage I didn't want an apology. I wanted my 45 minutes back.
Not good enough.
If you like attitude and having your time wasted, definitely stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business