“Close to all major theatres and a great hotel as well”

Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Close to all major theatres and a great hotel as well”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I'm surprised this hotel doesn't rate higher on this site as it surpasses many of the places we have stayed at in this wonderful city.
To start with, the location is just about as central as you can get. We stayed three nights and each night we walked to a different theatre, the furthest 8 minutes away. China Town was just around the corner where the dining was fabulous.
Then there's the gym and indoor lap pool. The gym has to be - no, is - the best equipped and most spacious of any hotel we have stayed in in the past 30 years. Mostly they are the size of a broom closet with one or two pieces of tired equipment. At Citadines they have obviously lashed out on quality commercial equipment and plenty of it.
Now to the room. We stayed in a studio executive apartment on the 18th floor which had great views of the city skyline. The room was very clean, spacious, modern and was equipped with a well-stocked kitchenette which inlcuded a dishwasher. The only oddity was that the rooms are not serviced on a Sunday but as we hadn't forgotten how to make a bed it wasn't a problem for us.
We can't finish this review without mentioning the front of house staff who were friendly, courteous and couldn't have been more helpful, especially a young man named Amir.
If all this gives you the impression we enjoyed our stay you'd be absolutely correct.

Room Tip: The hotel has good discount packages on its websie
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mainsheet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Went on a round the world trip and hadnt booked a hotel for this part of our trip. Whilst sat in an internet cafe in Sydney we 'accidently' came across this hotel, booked it and kept our fingers crossed.
Arrived after a little detour around Melbourne (we'd hired a car with a wonky sat nav!) to find a very newly built hotel. Made our way to our room, which was more like a studio apartment. Had absolutely everything you would need for your stay, sleeping area sectioned off from the living space, bathroom and well equipt kitchen. If you werent on holiday, you'd be self sufficient!
Ideally located in Melbourne CBD with great shops, restaurants and attractions nearby. Be sure to check out the free tram which runs around the city.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Louise P
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Lovely hotel, very helpful and welcoming staff. Rooms are clean and well-sized. Located right in the heart of the CBD. Tram stop right outside. Finders station 10 minute walk. Great pubs and restaurants nearby. The only minor point was the price of the breakfasts, which were certainly on the expensive side. Plenty of coffee shops nearby will give you just as good food for well under half the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank barryjohnsmith
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I recently travelled with my husband whilst he attended a Conference and stayed 5 nights in Citadines on Bourke. I had never been to Melbourne and was unfamiliar with absolutely everything from transport to where to go and what to do. One block from the City Mall and walking distance to the Museum, Chinatown, even the Casino. I had to spend the days by myself and was perfect to just walk around and explore this wonderful city. This Hotel had everything we were looking for, it was modern, very clean, with a small kitchenette consisting of microwave, dishwasher, stovetop and sufficient cooking utensils. Staff very friendly and happy to assist with anything required of us. If I had to complain about anything it would be the pillows were to soft and the varying temperature of the shower, this was not a problem though. Had a great time and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Caloundra_Traveller
Melbourne
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I booked the Citadine the day before my intended 2 day stay commenced through Wotif (saving $20 per night). The hotel itself does have a deal that if you find a cheaper price else where they will beat it, but you have to lodge this at least 3 business days before your arrival, but no hassle. On arrival I parked in the carpark next door which I assumed was affiliated with the hotel, but unfortunately isn't (theirs is on little Collins and clearly signed, I just didn't drive through there). Check in went smoothly, and the trainee who checked me in was very proficient and welcoming. He told me the carpark I was in was insanely expensive ($30 an hour or some nonsense) so gave me a ticket which meant I only had to pay $20 for 24 hours, which was really nice. He also said I may as well leave it there for the 24 hours, or else I would just be paying more to park in their carpark for the night.

I headed up to the 12th floor to my room, and was pleasantly suprised. For the price I paid, it was a great room. The kitchen (with dishwasher, fridge, sink, oven and a lot of bench and cupboard space) was in the small hallway when I entered. Directly ahead was the 3 person couch, large coffee table, big desk with comfy rolley chair and kingsized bed with a huge flatscreen infront o. The wall. Behind me was the bathroom sink, cupboard and well lit mirror (external to the bathroom which was a little strange at first, but I got used to in quickly) and then a sliding door with the toilet and large shower behind it.

Perks: Overall, it was an excellent stay. I couldn't hear anything from my neighbors, there were no odd smells lingering around, and the bed & pillows were amazingly comfortable (a rarity in even some of the best hotels!). The staff were kind and helpful, and really went out of their way to make my stay great. Then there were the little things that made it even better: The iPod dock had some really decent speakers (not that I abused this privilege!), there were 6 wine glasses, 6 drinking glasses and a huge amount of crockery and cutlery as well as actually useful cooking utensils (can openers, spatula, bottle opener, scissors etc), warm spare blankets and more comfy pillows, a decent sized ironing board and heaps of cupboard/wardrobe space, yet even with all of this, the room was still very spacious. I didn't get a chance to try the 24 hour room service, but the menu looked amazing and relatively well priced. The pool area was indoors and large, and the pool itself was the perfect temperature and not too chlorinated.

Downers: the shower had a tendency to leak under the show door, but this was easily solved by popping the floor towel down. There was no outdoor space/balconies for smokers in the hotel, but going out the front really wasn't too bad. The only real issue I had was with the parking. When I moved my car into their underground carpark (which, by the way you use your room card to enter), I wasn't informed that I needed a 'permit' to use the designated space. Upon checkout (which in itself was very quick), I told them I had used their carpark, so they would need to put that on my bill. The staff member asked for the permit, and I said I had never been informed I needed one. He seemed a bit worried about this, but apologized to the inconvenience and advised the $30 per day parking fee wouldn't be charged to me, which was totally unexpected and very sweet of him.

Overall, I give the Citadine on Bourke at 10/10 on all counts. I will most defiantly be staying here again, and strongly advise you do to.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank ukunbanshee
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 25, 2011

We booked this with fingers crossed! The name didnt sound like it would be anything special, and the images online were computer generated, so that alone had my alarm bells ringing, but we took a chance with a Pay 2, Stay 3 deal, and were very impressed!
This is not your typical apartment style accommodation, but thats a good thing!
The look and feel, and the customer service were refreshingly pleasant!
Im a pretty picky person, and a difficult customer if I feel Im not valued, but honestly, I cant complain about my experience.
I would definately stay here again and reccommend it to others.
Its clean, fresh, comfy, modern and friendly-no complaints here!

Room Tip: Next time ill ask for a room with natural light
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wordsws
Sunshine Coast
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Had a 3 day stay with my daughter in a Studio Deluxe. Great location and everything was modern and very clean. Lived up to our expectations and my requests when I booked were fulfilled. Kitchen was more than adequate for two people with enough equipment to cook a meal. Love the seperate small lounge area to sit and read and the shower was large and very modern. Highly recommend and going to rebook for later in the year to take our spouses and book a two bedroom. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: Book the stay 3 pay for 2 deal.
  • Stayed May 2011