“Great night” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Just had a lovely stay at the Metropol. Service was wonderful, staff friendly and helpful. Beds so comfy, champagne, chocolates, awesome breaky need I say more.
We stayed on level 26 with a great view from our room and a short walk up to the pool and the bar 28.
Wonderful. Cant wait till next time :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed here with a friend for my birthday last weekend. The hotel is simply stunning, excellent location and infinity pool with views. The service is superb. I would highly recommend this hotel for stay in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Room with city view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mount Eliza, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We live on the outskirts of Melbourne and have wanted to do a night in town for some time now. Always gets too expensive for anything nice so we were amazed when we found this great package for Metropol for 3 people. Perfect location and the rooms were amazing, especially the fabulous bathrooms.
Great night out, everything was perfect.

Room Tip: We were on the 12th floor and it was great, don't know if other floors are different.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

I chose to stay at the Crown Metropol for my birthday weekend (just passed). We had an upgraded City Luxe King room on the 22nd floor.

Overall we had an enjoyable stay but I felt a little let down by a few points;

Upon my booking I enquired about Club 28 access, as we normally opt for Executive floors/club access but I believe they were heavily booked, I was told by the reservations manager that I would be able to purchase the upgrade/access on the day upon check-in. The day before our scheduled check-in I re-verified the availability etc and I was assured it wouldn't be a problem. When I checked into the hotel (which notably was a very quick and seamless process) I asked again to organise the Club 28 access for the weekend, I was informed that I wasn't able to have this facilitated for me as they had "sold out", I was a bit annoyed because I had previously attempted to book but was told to do it on the day and as above I re-confirmed the same the day before my arrival. Also it was my birthday and I did want the 'complete experience', I asked to speak to the manager after I had explained my grievance but unfortunately he was preoccupied with other guests.

I was obviously disappointed by this and the suggestion was made to have breakfast at the Mr Hive restaurant instead. Still rather disappointed. Luckily for me the lovely Ashleigh did her best to try and sort something out for me, she took the initiative (as her Manager was still unavailable) to call the Club 28 directly to see if anything could be done and thankfully they were able to facilitate my access for the weekend. On top of that she then arranged a complimentary bottle of sparkling to be sent to my room and also 'selected' a high floor room with a "excellent" view for the trouble and misunderstanding. Thank you Ashleigh.

The room itself was very spacious, clean and yes, had a breathtaking view of the river and city. The decor was warm and modern, the use of black textured panelling on the walls and woven reed sliding wall dividers meshed well with the frosted glass and mirrored surfaces in the bathroom and entry hall, mood lighting and natural wood furniture all came together to help convey the feeling of modern luxurious sophistication.

We went upstairs to enjoy the Club 28, we were warmly greeted by the maître d' and given an explanation as to the area and how the lounge operated. As I had to drive to pick up my partner from the airport I wasn't able to enjoy the alcoholic beverages on the menu but my friend who was with me was able to. We both felt that initially the waiter was very quick to take our drinks order and to deliver our first drinks but then the service pretty much stopped after that - we also didn't receive (nor were offered) any 'canapes' as per the description. I ended up going up to the main bar and ordering drinks and I was told that I should have a waiter to take my order shortly as it was predominantly table service - I explained that I was happy to come to the bar to order as I was aware that (by this stage) the pre-dinner-drinks would be winding up shortly, I also stated that we hadn't received our 'canapes' either. The bartender was very apologetic and sorted it out - we were then brought out a bowl of turkish bread and a trio of dips. So we ended up having 2 alcoholic beverages and 2 soft drinks and a bowl of breads & dips within the 2 hrs we were there for before the pre-dinners ended. A bit disappointing (again), I think the staff were too interested in the football that was on the screen rather than attending to the guests who were waiting for "table service".

We also had a similar experience on the second night (my Birthday), we came up to the lounge at 5:30pm and again we placed a drink order with the waitress, I did ask for a glass of bubbles along with my vodka sunrise as I wanted to toast my partner (and hey, it was my birthday!) and after the extremely long wait experienced the night before I wanted to be 'prepared' so to speak; but I was flatly and quite rudely refused this and was told to "finish the first drink before you order another" I didn't think I was 18 again nor was my mother the waitress? The first drinks as per last time came out quickly, we again had to ask for the 'canapes' (which was Turkish bread and a trio of dips again, except instead of a bowl of bread there were 4 matchbox sized pieces of bread in a dish), we ended up ordering some bar food from Mr. Hive which was delicious! We waited 30 minutes for someone to take our drinks order and it then took 15-20 minutes to receive this order (and yes the staff again were very interested in watching the highlights of the previous night's football match on the TV again), after we finished our food I thought that perhaps if we sat at the bar we might be a little more lucky in getting served. The bartender eventually asked my boyfriend if he would like to order but did not ask me if I wanted to order a drink - perhaps it was the 5ml of sparkling I had dredged at in my champagne flute that prevented him from asking me if I would like to order another drink; considering the time it took to deliver a drink, I'm sure its reasonable assumption to think that someone would finish the sip of drink left in their glass before that time lapsed? Needless to say I didn't want to get upset on my birthday so we retreated early to our room to enjoy that complimentary bottle of bubbly that sat unopened on the counter.

Before I left the lounge I spoke with the "manager" and gave him some polite feedback which he graciously received, he explained that it wasn't his usual team tonight but that shouldn't excuse poor service. I did say that I felt I had the same experience the evening prior to which he extended the same statement about his temping/agency staff. He offered to comp the bar nibbles from Mr Hive for our trouble (however, upon check out this was found to not be the case, but I couldn't be bothered raising the issue so just paid for it and left).

Anyway.

On a positive note; the breakfast was amazing, the morning staff were lovely, attentive and polite. The hot, cold, continental and "western" selections were ample in choice, quality and volume, they were all presented very well and you can certainly tell that a great amount of attention to detail had gone into maintaining a high standard of quality control. You also had the additional option of ordering your choice of individually cooked egg (poached, omelette, benedict etc) or even pancakes prepared fresh. Although breakfast was busy the staff were very fast at clearing your plates and frequent in offering more coffee/tea or anything else you may require. The morning manager (I think) was always friendly and helpful, he was very polite and a great representative of the level of professionalism you would come to expect from a 5 star hotel.

I also unfortunately had a little accident with my hand, I recently had surgery on my hand and managed to tear my stitches which left a nasty mess on the doona in the room, on rushing myself out of the hotel to get stitched up again I spoke with the Concierge (or perhaps Manager) who immediately organised my room to be serviced and reassured a very embarrassed (and sore) me that it was no problem and it would be sorted upon my return from the hospital.

So overall the experience was good, I just felt that I was a little let down by the level of service and attitudes of the evening staff on duty at Club 28 (and the little fluff about upon check in that was swiftly resolved), I wouldn't have been perturbed if it was a once off and if it weren't a 5 star hotel but it happened twice and by more than just one individual. The vast majority of staff were excellent, helpful, professional and polite and like I have said they were a fine example of what you would come to expect of a hotel of its proclaimed calibre.

I would be willing to give this hotel another try but perhaps not for a special occasion - I would probably go back to our usual choice of hotel as I know that it would be 'perfect'.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Perhaps the friendliest and most helpful front of house I have encountered anywhere. Nothing was too much trouble and our stay was made all the more enjoyable each time we left or returned. The rooms were clean and cleaned well and the position is second to none.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to read that the front of house team took great care of you.
I have also thanked our housekeeping team in regards to your lovely comments.

We look forward to seeing you next time.

Kind regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

The attitude starts at reception which was rude, slow and unhelpful. The city view rooms should be renamed the car park view rooms and our non smoking room was obviously recently occupied by smokers. Pool closed for maintenance but positives are layout and furniture in room. Spend your money elsewhere

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vshearer
Thank you for your review.

It sounds like we missed the mark on your recent stay with us, please accept my sincere apologies.
I would be happy to discuss your stay with you further and can be contacted on the details below.

Kind regards,

+61 3 9292 8888
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very nice hotel. Fanatstic infinity pool and bar view from the top floor.
Day spa facilities were good but book early.
The location is really good in relation to Melbourne CBD and river dining choices.
Nice room with large king bed and sparking bathroom.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review.

I was thrilled to read you had such an enjoyable stay at the Hotel.
We are very lucky to be located so close the CBD and the multitude of dining options.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.