“As good as our last visit”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Metrapol is a great Hotel. We have visited the Hotel before and we weren't disappointed with our return visit. Despite Gordon Ramsay's restaurant disappearing the breakfast was still excellent. The rooms were very clean and the views from our standard room were fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank frenchwinophile

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Well to be honest I'm surprised this hotel isn't rated higher on trip advisor. Should be in the Top 10. The rooms are great, the hotel has a good feel about it. We upgraded to a loft, im pleased I did, what an amazing room. Largest bath I have ever seen, and yes a tv to watch as you soak away. Amazing views, floor to ceiling windows, yep we will be back. Modern & fresh, & 2mins walk to all the action of Casino & city.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank TimMelbourne_AUS
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Bar 28 at crown metropol was fantastic great location very clean and elegant venue.
The bar has fantastic panoramic views over Melbourne beautiful to watch the sun set while enjoying a nice drink.
Bar staff where fantastic, very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cocopops101
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was my 2nd time in the Crown Metropol. The room (deluxe king) is very clean, and comfortable (I love the chaise). A hooray to the mattresses, pillows, sheets and duvets. They are exceptionally comfy, squeaky clean, and smooth. The towels are good, and in sufficient supply (with option to re-use if more environmentally concerned). The bathrobes appear really soft but are horribly uncomfortable when one is wet. They are not only hard to put on (never thought I would say such a thing) but sheer useless when it comes to the requirement of drying ones skin. Very odd choice of fabric, I have to say.
Facilities: Yes, the gym is stuffy, but that is also because more people like using it as it is rather good. The pool is great for swimming little laps, and warm enough to spoil the softies like me.
Room: The lay-out is very practical and accommodates the business traveler. One does not have to play hide and seek to find easy access to plugs, iphone can be attached to alarm radio, unfortunately no other device such as Android phones.
The desk provides enough space to work with laptop, attach all the gadgets and even pile loads of papers around oneself. Chair is comfy enough to work on for a couple of hours.
There is no such thing as privacy in the room though (no problem if traveling solo) - with no bath tub but a toilet and separate shower both with glass panels. There is a sliding panel to separate the bathroom area from the bed/lounge area which might give a little more privacy or allows watching TV while brushing teeth - whatever ones preference.
I am not very happy with the reception staff though. There is no smile no warm welcome. I usually have to wait a while before another person realises they should attend the guest instead of doing whatever on their screens. Again no apologies there. I reserved a twin room but got king, no apologies there. Twice I asked for joining a loyalty program or at least getting told if the hotel has one or partners with and twice I received a response which sounded like a more polite version of: I have no clue, find out for yourself on our hotel website.
My room rate includes internet so I was told at welcome, I could choose any length of usage my room would be charged, and the charge taken off at checkout. When checking out I found out, that only a standard package but not the fast internet package was included. Not sure if I would have cared about the subtle difference in explanation when arriving, or if I missed that explanation altogether. I fail to see why a hotel should offer internet included for business traveler and then charge extra for a fast connection, especially if fast is not actually that fast, and why would I need slow when using it for business? It appears like it is a cunning little schema to lure people into paying ridiculous prices for internet. It was taken off my room bill, to be fair. Will soon expand my mobile data package as it is not just cheaper but more reliable and faster than hotel connection.
For breakfast I prefer going into any of the many restaurants/cafes close by due to more value for money and nicer atmosphere than the hotel breakfast room. Never tried any of the restaurants for dinner, since Melbourne has so much choice anyway. I did receive a voucher for Mr Hive when arriving, maybe I should try one day.
I noticed the room service tablets standing around in the hall ways for long periods of time, nearly stumbled over one when rushing to the lift in the morning (the one which was there from previous dinner).
The choice of TV channels is rather odd, with sports being the most dominant in every variation and from every country in AP region, but a dire lack of more international news channels, movies (only OnDemand) or European channels. I admit European business women traveling is not that common, but the hotel caters for the majority of Middle Eastern countries and about a dozen channels from China, surely, there must be channels like Arte, or National Geographic Europe which could be part of the hotel program? Btw. DW does not cater for Germans, it is a channel promoting the German language and culture to foreigners. So, if you want to add a German channel take ARD/ZDF, SAT1, Arte in German....

In total: Very good with some room for improvement. Will stay there again, as it is also extremely convenient for access to city and river-side entertainment (and I had much worse experiences in various other hotels).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank R W
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Crown Metropol for two nights in February and could not have been happier with our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable although small (but no smaller than other standard hotel rooms in Melbourne). I should add that we got a great deal on the room (less than $200 per night) and had we paid more, I'm not sure we would have been as impressed. The pool is just lovely and I would highly recommend those looking to pamper themselves book in a treatment at the Hotel Spa (Isika). Overall, it is a great hotel: close to trams and some great cafes and restaurants in close proximity in both South Melbourne and the CBD.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank laura_12223
Reviewed April 3, 2013

the only reason i stayed at this hotel was because i had a complimentary one night stay which was expiring so my partner and i decided to give it a go one friday night. the hotel is of very low standard. the facilities and fit out is very cheap and old. the pool was not as nice as it looked on the website, and the gym has very poor air conditioning/ventilation so i only completed a 30 minute workout before leaving as it was too stuffy and uncomfortable. the hotel was also full of bogans which did not enhance the experience at all. not a classy hotel, will not stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Juztina
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your review.

Crown Metropol is one of the newest 5 star properties in Melbourne, therefore it is interesting that you feel the fit out is old. The hotel continues to win awards around its design, function & facilities, and it is disappointing to read this did not meet your expectations.

In regard to the gym, I have personally checked the air-conditioning system today and it is working within normal parameters. There is also floor to ceiling glass that allows a lot of natural light, with views overlooking the Melbourne city skyline.

We understand that not all Hotels suit the individual, and it sounds like our sister hotel Crown Towers may be more to your liking.

Kind regards,

Harley Moraitis
General Manger
Crown Metropol

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My partner and I had flown over from Perth for my birthday. We stayed for 2 nights and flying out late on our last day.
The room itself was very average, the bathroom was very poorly set out. There was no bath, which we were expecting in a 5 star hotel, and with no closed in doors, nothing felt very private (as it should in a bathroom)
Points back for the bed, it was very comfortable, and spacious.
We ordered room service and for $16 each we got a brownie that was the length and width of my middle finger, with a side of ice cream the size of a 50 cent coin. Definitely not good value for money and we were very disappointed that the waiter couldn't work out the maths when we gave him a $50 note, it took a few minutes for him to give us the change. And then came back several minutes later when he realised he gave us too much change..
On our last day we had requested a late check out- none available. That's fine. We decided to do a bit more shopping and look around. When we returned we decided to sit in the lobby with our iPads, we were the only ones in the lobby.. A woman came over and quite rudely told my partner to take his head off my shoulder because it 'isn't a lounge room' she then stayed around and continued to watch us until we decided we would just take our bags and leave. This completely ruined the rest of our day, and therefore completely ruined our stay. We will not be coming back.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Geschober

Thank you for your review.

I was naturally disappointed to read of your experience at our property – especially as you were here to celebrate your birthday. Although our Luxe, City & Bay Luxe rooms have oversized showers, we do have Loft rooms that have amazing deep soaking tubs.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the dessert you purchased. I will ensure your feedback is passed on to our Executive Chef.

I would also like to extend my apologies with regard to the way one of our team spoke to you in the lobby, which impacted your overall impression of our Hotel. We would not normally approach anyone sitting in the chairs, unless they were lying or sleeping on the furniture. I will address this point with my staff as this is not service standard for our Hotel.

If you have a chance and would like to speak to me directly please feel free to contact me on +61 3 9292 8888.

Kind regards,