“Amazing couples night away”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #24 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing couples night away”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with this and as soon as you enter the hotel you get wonderful service, check in was very quick!
We stayed in the standard room and it was still one of the best hotel rooms i have stayed in we wouldn't have needed to pay for a nicer room!
The pool floor is amazing glass ceiling to floor around the room its a great place to relax.
We went to dinner in the crown complex and enjoyed some time in the gaming room just a fantastic night away without having to leave the complex would highly recommend it! Although expensive it is worth it and is a great way to impress your girlfriend or partner

Room Tip: Request river view room only downfall of the whole stay was our view of the carpark
1 Thank Lala6060

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The first time we checked in we were given a disabled room with a view of the carpark for some inexplicable reason. A quick call to guest services and five minutes later we were put in a different room on a higher floor with a glimpse of the river.

The room itself was well appointed with a very comfortable bed. Bathroom doors are semi transparent as mentioned so those who are more particular about these things please take note. Also enjoyed the gym and pool area every day mostly for its spacious feel and views. The sky bar on 28 is also great for a quiet drink with a view but seriously lacking in ambience and atmosphere for those looking for more.

Location is fine, right next to the casino with a bridge connecting it the rest of the Crown complex and everything the Southbank has to offer. Tram stop 2 minutes walk from the hotel will take you right into the heart of the city in 5-10 minutes.

What really lets this hotel down is its lazy service. Don't expect anyone to open your car door or take your bags when you arrive, let alone even acknowledge your existence or say a polite "hello". We booked tickets to the Australian Open through concierge (quick and easy) but when we asked about transport options were simply told to walk (no directions) or take a taxi.

Our only other 5 star hotel experience in Melbourne was at the Intercontinental where they really do go the extra mile to make sure guests are happy. At hotels of the same standard overseas, they actually take the trouble to greet you by name by the third day. Don't think we'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lower number on each floor, they tend to be on the north side with better views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It would seem that the experience you received from our team was less than satisfactory and I would like to personally apologise for the service shortcomings in this instance.

At your convenience, I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you further and can be contacted on +61 3 9292 8888.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,

Harley Moraitis
Crown Metropol
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Crown Metropol treats you like a King or Queen, my partner and I fell in love with Metropol from the very first time we stayed. and now we stay atleast once or twice a year. Must upgrade for level 28 access and be treated even more like royalty. We have never had an issue with staff or facilities. they offer you so much more then you expect. a must stay hotel!!!

Room Tip: They are all fabulous
1 Thank Simon V
Adelaide
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have just returned home from a quick, one night trip to melbourne for the tennis. We choose to stay here as they were pretty much one of the only cbd hotels with a room free - but we certainly paid a premium for the room for only booking with one days notice!
The bald door man who greeted us on our check in and check out was probably the most friendly, down to earth person I have ever come across at a hotel - thank you for your hospitality and sorry I didnt get your name! Very pleasant way to start and finish our stay.
A young asian girl checked us in, all was good until I asked if I could print out our tennis tickets somewhere - of course she said that is fine, but it will cost 55cents per page! seriously crown - this is ridiculous - I have just paid over $400 to stay one night in a basic room and you can't print two pages for me for free???!! When I came back down to actually print them off with me $1.10 in hand ;) the guy on reception didn't even charge me - so thank you, and he was more than happy to help me out.
The room was very nice - city view which was lovely except for the huge car park right below! Bed/pillows were great - had the best sleep, and the room was nice and quiet thank goodness. I havent stayed in such a quiet hotel room for ages - especially given it was a saturday night and usually you get the party goers making noise at all hours.
Overall a very nice stay, but very pricey - but I understand that, given we only booked 12hours in advance. Would be nice if they had free wifi though - like others have mentioned - in a hotel of this quality, I would have expected it :)

Room Tip: We stayed on the 20th floor and had no problems with noise - we stayed in a luxe king room I believe...
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Room: Massive with 2 hughe queen beds. Very clean. In need of slight renovation.
Bed and sleep quality: great with variety of pillows available
Internet: Slow and expensive!!
Breakfast: excellent but could do with more variety
Concierge: excellent service in general at the hotel. Concierge was able to arrange last minute restaurant reservations
Pool: absolutely brilliant - up on the 27th floor, infinity pool was amazing
Bar - bar on the 28th floor had amazing views and prices were cheaper than the mini bar!
Location: about 10min walk whcih can be done through the casino to southbank
Food: the crown complex has a massive variety of food options from mc donalds, food courts to nobu and my fav the conservatory

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river on a higher floor
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in a interconnecting family unit. It was 2 rooms at the end of a hall way, with a seperate door to make it into a very large family room... The view was great, Service fantastic and the swimming pool is just amazing. Location was also fantastic. I would highly recommend this motel to anyone. Thank you for a great stay. We will return..
The only thing that could of been better was we had in our package buffet breakfast and we found that breakfast so the same every morning. A little bit of variety would have been great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

These rooms are beautifully appointed. Comfy king bed, nice day lounge, open bathroom and great LCD tv and desk area. I booked a bay view room which was slightly more expensive but apparently came with the view and was larger. The size was awesome however I looked as hard as I could and there was definitely no bay views... That would be my only gripe though. The concierge staff were amazing. The front office staff on both occasions were a but snobby but that stuff doesn't bother me. I would definitely come back.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review.

It was lovely to read that for the most part you had an enjoyable stay. I was concerned, however, to read your comments about our front desk team. They normally provide such personal and attentive service. I do apologise that this was not the case and I will ensure this feedback is passed back to the team.

I was also disappointed to hear that your view did not live up to expectations. We would be more than happy to offer an alternate view on your next stay to our Hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,