“An amazing hotel experience”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I stayed at Crown Metropol for four nights from the end of July. From the moment I entered the foyer until the moment I left for the airport the entire experience was top notch.
Check in was swift and friendly. There was no line when I arrived at approximately 1pm however it was a Tuesday so this may not be your experience if arriving at, say, 2pm on a weekend.
I was given a room on a high floor facing Southbank. The carpark was below me, but I didn't really notice that. The views were spectacular both night and day. The rooms are very modern and clean (as you'd expect from a near-new hotel) and feel larger than they actually are, owing mostly to the floor-to-ceiling windows. The uniquely designed bathrooms feature a "sliding wall" that further adds to the sense of space. Amenities provided in the bathrooms are plentiful and smell great. The bed was very comfortable. The rooms seem to have been designed with energy efficiency in mind, with LED lighting, the aforementioned floor-to-ceiling windows, and water saving fixtures.
A trip up to the 27th floor reveals the gym, day spa, and swimming pool. The pool really does have to be seen to be believed, it goes all the way to the edge of the glass and features amazing views. Being July in Melbourne I was not brave enough to take a dip however several people were, suggesting the water is sufficiently heated for year-round use.
Level 28, top floor of the hotel, features the '28' lounge and bar. I purchased access for my first night which included beverages for an hour or so in the evening, plus breakfast the next morning. I was expecting a light continental breakfast however there was plenty of hot food too including bacon, eggs and mushrooms, as well as a number of different juices to choose from. The waiters were extremely friendly. It was a very relaxing breakfast with only a few other people using the lounge however again I can imagine it'd be a lot busier on weekends.
The hotel is part of the Crown Entertainment Complex meaning you have heaps of different restaurants and retail stores, plus of course the casino, all in the one place. Melbourne CBD is a ten or so minute walk so it's definitely not dead in the middle of the city however I enjoyed the lovely walks along Southbank, and if you really don't like walking there is a tram stop very close by. I did not dine at the "Mr Hive" restaurant - the decor looked horribly tacky and garish, plus there are plenty of good other places in Melbourne to eat anyway.

All in all I had an amazing time at Crown Metropol and will definitely be staying here again next time I visit Melbourne. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Pay for access to the 28 lounge. It is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rillrill
There are newer reviews for Crown Metropol Melbourne

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here on a Friday night so got a good deal.
Been here many times and it just gets better.
Fantastic room, very clean and iam fussy.
Amazing king beds.
Fantastic staff.
amazing pool.
Close to everything. walk thru to casino so you dont even have to leave the building.
I think you get the drift, this place is A1

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently stayed at the Crown Metropol in Melbourne for a business trip. The room exceeded expectation with a very comfy bed, robes & delicious teas in room after working all day. The thing that impresses me most was actually after checkout. I left a personal item in the room & realised upon return home a few days later so I rang reception and they put me through to house keeping. The lady couldn't have been more helpful, she checked my room details & then went to look for the item. She came back to the phone with the great news that they had found it & would post it back to me. It arrived today in a registered post bag & was packed inside a crown metropol bag as well....talk about service, with no extra charge. Very happy customer & will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed 4 nights. Our room on the 26th floor was well appointed and clean. Fabulous bed and pillows. Our room overlooked the city which was spectacular at night. Check in/out was faultless and the concierge service was excellent. Did not dine in the Mr Hive bar/restaurant but we did dine in the Jimbo and Rex and Merrywell bar restaurants in the Crown complex. The infinity pool on level 27 was pretty spectacular as well. Overall would highly recomend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the "entertainment hub" of Melbourne. My only gripe is the $25 daily fee for wifi connection.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed at Metropol for unfortunately only 1 night. I found the room delightful, with all conveniences -, The staff were very friendly and obliging and checkin was swift and easy. Location was excellent, with trams near, walking distance to docklands, and just a short walk into the city. The breakfast was very nice. I would recommend this hotel..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is the 2nd time we have stayed at the Crown Metropol and it just gets better. Again the staff could not do enough for us from when we arrived to when we left. We were given an upgrade on arrival which was very much appreciated. The pool area is amazing. My tip would be when you book try and get a deal that includes access to '28'. Well worth it. Cannot wait for our next visit.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at crown Metropol for 1 night over my birthday weekend after scoring a Wotif.com special. As part of the deal we were "upgraded free" to a city Luxe room.
The room was lovely bed soft and snuggely with everything clean and sparkly.

I was unfortunately a bit let down. This was my first every stay in a 5 star hotel and when we were pointed to the lift and expected to carry our own bags upstairs I was surprised. I tried really hard to be impressed and happy with the special rate we got but at the end of the day we had a view over crown car park and a clean comfy room.

Another quirk of the room was the open bathroom. Don't mind that just the toilet door although opaque was still transparent enough to see people while on the loo.

Maybe I'll have to try some more 5 star hotels so i can fairly judge Crown Metrolpol's performance?