“A Good Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Canberra
“A Good Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

A good hotel. All the amenities. Nothing to complain

However, nothing that wow either. About the same as many 4/5 star hotels around Australia. In fact, there are some that impress more. Also, whilst crown was nearby, it disappointed. It was crowded and cramped, especially at several fine dining locations (Nobu, Conservatory). The ambience was simply not there

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I went to the Crown Metropol for my 60th birthday with my family. My 2 grown up children had an adjoining room. It was perfect. We were so excited.

The hotel was fabulous and the staff were really nice except for the cleaning lady who arrived before we left and waited at the door for us to leave and that was very annoying.

2 days after our stay one of my best friends asked if I had been given a gift from her that she had left at the front desk and was to be given to me on arrival. I did not receive it. She went to the hotel and saw the duty manager and he found it out the back, was most apologetic and said that he would courier it to me which they did, and would investigate and get back to her because customer service was very important to them. A week later she had not heard from him and so she emailed . No reply. Rang and spoke to another manager and he said "human error" but they did not bother to ring her back and tell her this. He offered me an upgrade when I stay there again but how often do people stay at an expensive hotel like that? I was disappointed for her after all the trouble she went to for me on my birthday and they could not have cared less.

They pride themselves on customer service - what customer service??????

2 Thank tms037
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed for three nights as a 'staycation' in our own city. The room (Luxe Twin) easily accomodated two adults and two children, and was very comfortable. No bath in the bathroom, and it is separated from the rest of the room by a series of screens. We had a view towards the city and Domain, and despite being on the 22nd floor, could still hear traffic noise faintly.

After reading reviews here about the buffet breakfast, we decided not to have it at the hotel and the first two mornings walked across to some fabulous cafes in the city. We had planned to upgrade to lounge access (on the 28th floor) on our last night and stay in-house for breakfast there, but when we went to organise that we were told the lounge was fully booked. Unfortunately the staff we'd spoken to on arrival about lounge access failed to mention any necessity to book in advance, or we'd have done it then. So that was disappointing. Instead we tried to find a suitable breakfast option somewhere in the Crown complex...we thought options were quite limited and ended up having a less than satisfactory breakfast in the food court!

The pool, gym and spa area on the 27th floor is lovely. Great views from the pool over the city and docklands. It started to get REALLY busy on the Friday afternoon though - but it was during school holidays.

We ate at Maze Restaurant one night. It was okay, but nothing we'd write home about.

We parked in the Crown multi-story carpark as we weren't planning on using our car while there, and it was much cheaper than the hotel's valet parking -and very convenient to the hotel lobby.

All up, a nice enough hotel if you get the room for a good price. It's a bit of a walk across the river to the city but pleasant to do.

1 Thank Feetonforeignlands
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Sensational night at Metropol. We had a King room, which was spacious and in great condition. Pool complex fantastic. Parking charge $35. The only minor let down was the arrival and departure process which involved lengthy queues and seemed a little chaotic. We had breakfast in maze grill. The breakfast was terrific but it was a little disappointing that there was gluten free bacon but no gluten free bread (which is supplied in the majority of hotels in this price bracket). However, would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and we look forward to our next stay.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

I stayed here recently and found the room to be very nice. The decor was modern and comfortable. The Queen size bed was lovely to lie back and watch a movie on, but I found it uncomfortable to sleep in - I think I'm just too used to my waterbed!
I ordered room service for dinner and was bitterly disappointed with my meal. I had the Gordon Ramsay burger and it was horrible! The burger was dry and unappetizing and the French fries were soggy. A total rip off for $30. For dessert, I had the chocolate brownie with salted caramel ice-cream. Again, totally over priced and revolting. The only positive about the room service was that the meal arrived very fast.
In-house movies are $16.95 each, and whilst I did buy from the mini bar (because I was thirsty!), it too was extremely over priced. Valet parking was $35. Where else are you going to park?!?!
In all, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. I don't believe it's good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Claire2323
Gold Coast Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Has a great modern feel so we were surprised to see so many families here. Small children running around don't create the chic type feel they seem to be aiming for. Great room, TV, quality mini bar and the best robes ever - plush grey velour. The pool is really well done but had so many squealing children it was not enjoyable. Staff were very good and the location is great to access the Crown area. Only complaints would be the really poor lighting ( for shaving/make up/business ) overall and the open side to the bathroom which means not too much privacy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ballan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our two children for 2 nights. Spacious room with two queen beds (beds are quite hard, which didn't suit us but that is a personal preference). Had great views of the bay. Links directly to the crown complex via a connecting bridge. Didn't purchase anything from room service or from the mini bar as we found these to be a rip off ($6 for a bottle of water).
Overall we really enjoyed our stay.