“Hard to find” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Lilburn, Georgia
“Hard to find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

This is a new hotel with clean and nicely decorated rooms. It was very hard to find the hotel even with the driving directions. The airport shuttle does not come to the hotel which is not clear from their web site. The desk will direct you to the train station via two flights of stairs where you catch the shuttle to the airport. We did find an alternate route to the train station going up the elevator in the garage next to the hotel to street level avoiding the stairs.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

The hotel is brand new, clean and close to the CBD but I would not recommend staying here. Considering the blatant disregard to basic customer service, one night was enough.

My partner and I arrived to check in and were faced with a staff member who could not find our reservation. She searched and searched, stared at the screen blankly, shot us a few "ummms".. but failed to reassure me that she would eventually find it. I was scared that the booking hadn't been made properly!

When she eventually found the reservation, she asked for my credit card to place a $50 'hold' for any additional charges on top of the room fee (which would be released back into my account upon checkout). Having said that was fine, I handed over my debit card.

I was then told that using the credit function would attract a surcharge, but was told I could avoid it if I used a non-credit account to pay for the room.

Stupidly, I agreed to save a dollar or so and said I would pay the room on cheque. What is apparently "policy" meant that I was charged for the room, plus had $169.00 withheld from my account. Having checked out on Saturday morning, the money is still missing from my account on Tuesday.

At no point was I told that the hotel's policy meant that I would essentially be charged $288.00 for a $119 stay and lose a substantial chunk of my savings over the weekend (especially as a student).

On top of that, seeing as room service was charged at $5.90 for delivery, my partner chose to purchase drinks at reception but was ignored and had to wait 15 minutes before being served after a "yeah, they're over there".

Having e-mailed the hotel, I received a call from the manager whose only apology came in the form of "I know it's not an excuse, but we're a new hotel. Our staff need more training. I've printed out your e-mail for them to read".

My hope was that the manager would recognise my complaint and attempt to somehow rectify the situation, but this was not the case.

In-genuine. No incentive to come back.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

No frills hotel very close to the CBD, next to Flinders Train Station, and about a 10-15 minute walk to Bourke Street Mall (tram will take 5 minutes).

Good value hotel, rooms are new and very clean. Stayed in room 911, good view oif the Stadium. Good size LCD screen with Foxtel and movies on demand which cost A$15 each

Took 10 minutes to walk to Crown Casino and the tram stop (Collins St) was only 5 minutes walk from the hotel. Get a day pass for unlimited travel on trams for A$6.80 per day.

Little hard to find property but this should be fixed shortly as they are building a ramp to the hotel from the station. Sugguestion to hotel - you need more signage from the train station please!!

Staff friendly and experienced. If your after breakfast on the weekend, walk to Crown Casino and check out the food court or restaurants (most of the cafes around the hotel where shut on Sunday - they seem only to be monday to friday operations to cater for the business workers). Hotel also has a breakfast buffet, $A15 if you pre book or $A18 on the day.

Had dinner at the new Gorden Ramasy Resturants, Maze, located at the Crown Complexe. 10/10 for food and service. A great dining experience.Cost us A$330 for 2 including 2 bottles of wine, 2 cocktails and a 7 course tasting menu (A$95 each).

We paid $89 per night (Travelzoo.com.au) which was a fantastic rate. We will be back again. Thanks Travellodge!!

Christchurch
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

Great value accommodation. Room was clearly very new and spotless. Efficient reception. Hotel in general was functional, not flashy, and did the basics very well including breakfast. Only small disappointments were low water pressure in the shower and breakfast buffet being cleared away 10 mins early. Otherwise a big thumbs up.

• Stayed July 2010
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2010

That was our third trip to your location and it just keeps getting better.Easy to find, great value,sensational location and has access to everything we need. All transport walking distance, shopping close handy & 500 metres from Etihad Stadium. A tram around the corner to the MCG. Believe me it doesnt get any better than that. We will return Fantastic!!!

Tasmania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

I was in Melbourne for an overnight business trip and booked a special $94 rate including breakfast for 1 (book on their website on Tuesdays). The hotel is a 10 min walk from Southern Cross Station so very convenient if you are using the Skybus. The check-in was friendly and I was put on the top floor of the hotel as per my booking request without prompting. The room was big and comfortable with a large flat screen TV, microwave and desk. I had a good night's sleep and enjoyed my breakfast the next morning - nothing flash - but all the basics like eggs, bacon, sausage etc that you need. For the price paid, this was an absolute bargain and very convenient for public transport. Even though it is slightly outside the CBD, it is so close that I would recommend to anyone. If you want to be near a business in Docklands or Etihad Stadium it is perfect. The only small issue is that there is some building work on Aurora Lane and it looks a bit messy (no noise) - however, once this is finished it will all look fine.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

Travelodge Docklands is a great hotel for value and location. It is a brand new hotel so the rooms are clean and modern. The room was a perfect size for a couple and has a big, bright floor to ceiling window on one side. This window provided a beautiful nighttime view over South Cross Station. The Docklands area is a bit outside of the Melbourne CBD however there is a free bus and tram service to easily get you around Melbourne. We used this service to get to Federation Square, Queen Victoria market, etc. and each service (particularily the tram) come by every 10-15 minutes. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful however they are probably new to their positions and do not have much knowledge about the Docklands area. However they are quick to try to help you find the information that you need. On our way out of Melbourne, we used the Skybus service out of Southern Cross Station which is a short walk from the hotel.

I will caution anyone staying at this hotel that finding it by driving is tricky to say the least. We had a rental car from Thrifty which we had to drop off on Elizabeth St. so we hoped to drive to the hotel (from the Great Ocean Road), drop off our luggage at the hotel and then drop off the rental car. We had such a difficult time finding the hotel! Our directions from Google maps were not helpful because there was so much construction in the area that a number of streets were unaccessable. The Docklands being a new area, no one that we asked for directions knew where ithe hotel was. When we finally found Aurora Lane, there was construction on the street so we couldn't even turn into the street. It was so stressful because we had to drop off the car by 5pm. We finally had to park on a side street a block away and haul our luggage to the hotel. My suggestion would be to get directions ahead of time from the hotel before you plan on driving there. There are a lot of one way streets in the area and you can easily get turned around.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple