Travelodge Hotel Melbourne Docklands
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Quest Docklands(Melbourne)
  • Room Service
Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne(Melbourne)
  • Pool
  • Pool
4,373 results
All reviewsetihad stadiumsouthern cross stationaurora lanegreat locationtravel lodgeroom was cleantrain stationroom serviceshort walkpublic transporteasy accesssky buswould stay againgreat place to staywithin walking distancegood sizeshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2013

As a game show contestant, I didn't choose the Travelodge but I had always put them at the higher end of my expectations.

When we arrived, check-in was friendly and efficient. However we were charged a security deposit of $50 for expenses we might incur and the mini bar was mentioned. Well there was no mini bar, so I did wonder what the $50 was for. We were told on check-out that the money would be deposited back into our account.The check-in clerk also told us of the restaurant on the 4th floor. As it was cold outside, we decided to eat in their restaurant, it was closed.

We found a little hotel called the Nixon, not far away that had a Monday night $15 steak special which included salad, chips and a drink, excellent value and I would recommend the Nixon to anyone staying in that precinct.

The lifts were fast and when we got to our room, we went through the whole,"push in, pull out, faster slower" thing before the door unlatched using the key card.

No free internet and a $20 parking charge are pretty common for this kind of hotel.

The room was nicely appointed and although tea and coffee were provided, no biscuits. This may be a trivial thing for you, but I have never been to an Australian hotel/motel where a few biscuits(read cookies for my American readers) were not included.

The bed was quite hard, so my hips were a bit sore after a night's sleep. We were on the 6th floor with a view of mostly businesses as you would expect in a large city, and the room was pretty quiet.

I know, your next question will be about the showers. Started well, nice and hot then faded to cold, disappointing! There was no glass in the bathroom for rinsing your mouth after brushing your teeth. If you wanted to put your head down near the tap to rinse your mouth, you couldn't because the sink was too long.

Breakfast was in the restaurant on the 4th floor and was very nice, everything you would expect in a hotel of that standard.

So there you have it, a nice hotel, well appointed but with less than I expected. A little care would have gone a long way towards a better rating.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

As per title loved the location, great if you need to be near the MCEC or Etihad Stadium. Great location to public transport or loads of parking nearby if bringing your own wheels, though parking in any CBD is pricey. Breakfast was Ok , could have had more healthy choices, but for a budget business hotel it was fine. Would stay again if going to another conference at the MCEC.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Good location if you're going to the footy at Etihad stadium, or needing close access to Southern Cross station. Not so good if you are in Melbourne to do things on the other side of town (MCG, theatres, etc). Room was clean but basic. Not much near the hotel but only a short walk to shops at Southern Cross station. Make sure you use the lift when arriving from the walkway at the Etihad stadium end - you dont need to use the stairs!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Travelodge Docklands is in a great central location - if you don't have any mobility issues or a lot of luggage! Be aware there are quite a number of stairs to between Collins Street or the Spence Street walkway and Aurora Lane. I found it easier to take the carpark lift up and down, located along the left side of 700 Collins Street (Australian Bureau of Meteorology/Medicare building), entry from the street just next to the stairs down to Aurora Lane. I'm not sure if access to the lift is closed out of hours, as I came and went during weekday business hours.

Essentially located behind Spencer Street Station, the Travelodge is well-located for travellig to, from and around Melbourne. The Skybus terminal is only a few minutes walk away but, if you take the walkway from Spencer Street Station (up the escalators in the middle and heading toward Etihad Stadium), there is only stair access down to Aurora Lane unless you want to go the long way around.

The hotel itself is quite minimalist and sparse but with a pleasant feel. The reception staff are pleasant and efficient, and willing to help with enquiries and calling taxis, etc. They also offer luggage storage, although it appears regular suitcases are left in the lobby near the counter and any laptop bags are kept behind the counter for safekeeping. The area around the hotel can seem a little isolated late at night but seems to be reasonably safe. There are plenty of places to eat within only a few minutes walk and there is a Woolworths supermarket inside Spencer Street Station on the Collins Street side which is handy for water and self-catering needs.

I had a king room on the top floor and it was well-appointed, clean and comfortable. I loved the little couch, which was a good spot to read or watch the tv and the work desk was a good size. The bathroom was clean and simple, with just a shower. The location of the toilet directly behind the bathroom door was a little cramped and odd but, as it was just me in the room, it didn't bother me too much. Plenty of bench and shelf space for toiletries and the sink was large enough to wash a plate withouth splashing everywhere.

The mini fridge had a good amount of space for my own use and the minibar prices were quite reasonable. A nice touch was the provision of menus for a few local eateries, in case the fairly slim room service menu didn't cut it and you didn't want to go too far from the hotel. Having the microwave and kettle along with crockery and cutlery meant I could easily self-cater an easy meal or snack. The in-room safe was also a nice addition, but I didn't need to use it, and there were also a few easily accessible power points.

Overall, the Travelodge Docklands is a well-appointed hotel in a good location and, for what I paid, I was very happy with the quality of the accommodation. I would definitely consider staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank garneresque
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Comfortable room, has e everything you need except a PowerPoint in the logical place for the ironing board (don't you hate that!!). Staff were very helpful too. But I was really surprised that you could clearly hear the train station platform announcements! Ruined my nights sleep.

Room Tip: Get a room at the lift end...
1  Thank Catherine P