“Good deal near Spencer St Station” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Melbourne, Docklands

Travelodge Melbourne, Docklands
Ranked #48 of 156 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Good deal near Spencer St Station”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here for five nights in May because of a great deal on Wotif available at the time I needed to be in Melbourne. I usually stay on St Kilda Road, but the proximity to Spencer St station appealed, as I like to catch the Skybus from Tullamarine airport. There is a slight hill from the station on Collins St to the steps down to Aurora Lane, however there is a lift to take when you have a suitcase. I was a little concerned that it would be unsafe to walk that way at night, but that fear proved unfounded and I never felt unsafe returning to the hotel in the evening. (I was always back by 10pm) My room had a king-size bed and small sofa, both of which were quite hard - certainly no "pillow-top" on the mattress, but the room was clean and a decent size. With numerous trams close by, the location is a winner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

This is reasonably priced accommodation in a great location close to restaurants, Etihad Stadium, Southern Cross station and several tram lines. Rooms are a reasonable size, and our bed was OK. The pillows are foam, which I am not too keen on. Would have preferred to have an option of a feather pillow, but this was not available.

Rooms include a fridge (but no mini bar), and a microwave, with plates and cutlery. There is a Woolworths supermarket and BWS bottle shop in Southern Cross station about 200 metres from the hotel, and it is really easy to buy a large variety of food that you can heat in the Microwave. The hotel does not have a bar or restaurant, but there are a number restaurants within 300 metres, including the excellent Nine Elephants Thai restaurant. They do have room service dinner in the evening.

The hotel provides breakfast for $15. At time of writing the breakfast is limited to tea, coffee, orange juice, apple juice, white bread toast, mini muffins, tinned fruit, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, baked beans, canned tomato, hash browns and pan cakes. They don't have the fresh fruit and Danish pastries that are featured in the hotel's breakfast advertisements.a There are lots of places nearby where you can get a better breakfast for less than that.

The location is great. It is about 300 metres from the Airport bus terminus, and the same distance from a Southern Cross station, and several tram stops. So it is a good place to base you next visit to Melbourne.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy H
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed 3 nights mid June. Rooms were very clean, well maintained and extremely comfortable. Staff were very friendly and accommodating and obliging. While next to Ethiad Stadium, Southern Cross Railway Station and a main road no noise could be heard from within the room. Very central to sporting facilities, supermarkets and fantastic hotels and eating places. Very enjoyable and look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Melbourne, Docklands, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear WanderersAdelaide

Thanks for taking the time to review us so positively!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Kilmore, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The room's were clean and tidy and did the job, not much of a view but pretty good overall. HOWEVER, THE BEDS, MY GOD. I stayed here for a week and by the end I could barely stand up without being in stiff pain, the pillows were so awful I get a sore neck just thinking about them. The larger beds were just two single beds pushed together, I had one of the worst nights sleep of my entire life. As this was a business trip with around 25-50 others, I can definitely say I was not alone in this issue, I think one of the best conversation starters on the trip was "how terrible are the beds at the hotel?!?" As much as I thought the staff were the great, the rooms were functional, clean and modern, the beds were enough to put me off. I will never return to this hotel or stay in another travelodge again for that matter.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Melbourne, Docklands, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Ellen C

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Needless to say I am dissapointed you didn't have a good nights sleep.

Our mattress supplier is Sleepmaker and the beds are Hotel Supreme Ensembles. They are King Zip mattresses - not two singles pushed together.

Beds are a subjective matter and whist most people love them we understand that some may not.

Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss should you wish.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My sister, daughter and myself stayed for 3 nights as we were booked to see the recording of Millionaire Hot Seat. We found staying here was central to everything, Channel 9 studio, Etihad Stadium, Outlet shopping mall, grand Crown Casino, trams, trains & shops. The staff were very pleasant and helpful during our stay. Our room suited us with 3 single beds, it was warm, quiet, and serviced each day. We would fully recommend this location for anyone visiting Melbourne.

Room Tip: 7th floor had a good view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dianne D
JamesColeman, General Manager at Travelodge Melbourne, Docklands, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Dianne D

I am delighted that your experience with us was positive and I would like to thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor.

The team here take great pride in their guest service so it is very pleasing to see this recognised.

I hope to welcome you back before too long.

Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I have travelled to most parts of the world and around Australia. It was a real pleasure to be greeted by Gary and Erica at the front desk of the Travelodge Docklands Melbourne Australia. They were engaging, informative, warm and friendly. They explained the car park facilities which took all the stress out of parking our car. We just followed their directions. The Travelodge exceeded expectations with the room, in house meals to our room and breakfast in the morning. The site was was within walking distance to central Melbourne. A great venue and value for money. We will come again.

From a visitor with 44 years corporate experience and one that values professionalism. l

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter. The Travelodge Docklands site was within walking distance to M...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lorraine s
Dear lorraine s

Thank you for sharing this positive and informative review. I am absolutely delighted that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back next time you are up from Geelong.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights on a great deal in April 2013 and can recommend the Travelodge for a short stay. Room was modern, bright, spacious and clean. Location was great; only a short stroll to the free City Circle tram stop, 10min walk to Harbour Town outlet shopping mall, close to Docklands restaurants and bars, virtually adjacent to Etihad Stadium and Southern Cross railway station, etc. If you don't mind being a short distance away from the main city centre, this is a great choice for a peaceful nights' sleep and offers good value for money. My only complaint was the fee for WiFi, but I guess more and more hotels charge for this now. However, I would still stay at the Travelodge Docklands again in future if their pricing remains competitive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear OzMaryAnn

Thank you for sharing your positive comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location suited your needs.

I do hope you choose us again when you are next in Melbourne.